Name change in California

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Name change in California
Posted: Nov 22, 2009 1:44 PM

Can anyone that has gotten married in CA tell me about their process of changing their last name? I have been married for 2 1/2 months and still haven't received my marriage certificate. The check finally cashed a few days ago, so now I am waiting for the actual certificate to come in the mail. I have read a few different things online. Where do I go first? DMV or Social Security office? Do I need my birth certificate? Some websites have said I do, others have said I don't. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
wedding website

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Re: Name change in California
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 1:22 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Hi! I live in Cali (in the L.A. area) and although I got married in Hawaii, the process is the same once you get your marriage cert. You don't need your birth certificate, you only need your marriage cert...I suggest you get a couple copies if possible.

You need to change your Social Security card first. I highly suggest you make an appointment, it will save you lots of time waiting. I got my new card in about a week.

It takes 24-48 hours for your name to change in the Social Security system so you don't need to wait until you have your card to update your driver's license. I also suggest you make an appointment with the DMV, I still had to wait a little bit but nothing compared to people without an appointment.

Good luck!

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/y9p6ky2

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/ydyp4kx

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Dec 1, 2009 3:02 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

I live in CA and I also got married in CA.

Once you get your marriage certificate, take that to the Social Security office along with your SS card and current drivers license. At my local SS office, I could not make an appointment, it was 1st come, 1st serve so go first thing in the morning right when they open.

Once you get your new SS card, which will take a couple weeks, make an appointment with the DMV to do the name change and obtain a new license. They will retake your D/L photo and I belive there is a fee. I think it was $25 dollars or something like that.

Once you get your new D/L, then you can do the name change on your credit cards, insurance, cell phone, etc.

Married 9.20.08

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 9:22 PM Go to message in response to: BenjaminsWife

Thanks ladies!!! Do you remember how long it took to get your marriage cert? It has already been 2 months for us! The check cleared about 3 weeks ago so now I am just waiting...........
wedding website

BenjaminsWife Posts : 1,069 Registered: 1/11/07
Posted: Dec 9, 2009 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

We got married at the courthouse. I got it on the same day.

Married 9.20.08

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 16, 2012 6:00 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine