Jewel Tones/Summer Beach Wedding??

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Jewel Tones/Summer Beach Wedding??
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 2:50 AM

Hi all -

We are having a beach wedding next August, and I am throwing around yet another color combination. I love love love deep jewel tones, but I originally was afraid that this wouldn't really work on the beach. I'm thinking deep purples, plum and blues with maybe some greens mixed in....really rich, saturated colors. Our ceremony is very casual on the beach, with the reception following in a grand ballroom in the hotel overlooking the water - so there is a mix of casual elegance going on. What does everyone think? If done correctly do you think that we could still maintain an essence of summer?? BTW, it is an evening wedding. Any thoughts??

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Jewel Tones/Summer Beach Wedding??
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 9:43 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I am a big fan of jewel tones myself. It was a lot of the colors we had at our wedding. However, if you are trying to have a really summer feel to the wedding, I don't think jewel tones would capture it well. I think most people would associate them more with fall and winter than summer. I would use lighter blues, teals, beiges and creams for a beach summer wedding.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

Posted: Nov 21, 2009 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Thanks for your input! I'm not a big fan of muted, or lighter colors, so I figured incorporating some stunning rich jewel tones would be more my style. The reason that I think it may work is that I would have the ceremony colors (on the beach) be in a more beachy tone of the colors that I'm using. I would want to still make it fresh and summery, but then when they walk into the reception have it just 'pop'. I get what you're saying about traditionally having jewel tones be more of a fall/winter type thing, but i'm hoping that if I tweak my colors enough I will be able to achieve the look i'm going for. I'm really not wanting to go the light, summery, beach color look (even though I did at first). I still want it to reflect summer, but in a more modern way. Hope I can make it work :)

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I think any strong colors work well against the whiteness of a beach, so i think it can work.

This with some more teals and purples thrown in would be gorgeous!

http://www.alohaislandweddings.com/images/malia%20wedding%20setup%20in%20hawaii%20on%20the%20beach%20with%20purple%20%20lavender%20orchids%20pineaplles%20and%20lava%20rocks%20pacific%20beach%20wedding%20theme.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nS6YO7oiLb4/RuOE6HUVmQI/AAAAAAAABhA/Gicg85my7AI/s400/purple+on+the+beach+brides.jpg

http://www.alohaislandweddings.com/Hawaii_weddings/blue%20and%20green%20hawaii%20wedding%20theme%20ceremony%20with%20beth%20and%20brian.jpg

http://www.myweddingflowerideas.co.uk/images/wedding-flowers-abroad.jpg

I know these aren't examples of the colors you're saying, but do you see how the boldness just works with the sand? I like it. :)
My Planning Blog

darylicel Posts : 28 Registered: 11/23/09
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 3:30 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

normally, if you say beach weddings, you are incorporating some bright colors, very attractive motiff that is really cool and refreshing in the eyes and it has to be a very relaxing combinations of bright colors. since it is a summer beach wedding, jewel tones is most likely my favorite way of combining it with the theme as to having the ceremony at the beach. jewel tones are ok especially when you have a casual wedding. you have a great venue itself and the way you choose about color combinations is quite very promising it won't compromise the solemnity of the ceremony either.
Wedding venue in Berkshire Country House Weddings

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: ChelsRae85

Thanks for the pictures!! You're right, the boldness of the colors does look great against the beach background. Like you said, throw in few more deep purples and blues and you're pretty much where I'm looking to be. I think it just may work ! Thanks again.

CaribbeanBride08 Posts : 1,474 Registered: 6/13/07
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

Muted, shmuted. Bold colors look great.

WeddingPhotos009.jpg picture by tobiandbrian
WeddingPhotos019.jpg picture by tobiandbrian

Member and Co-Founder of POOP:   "People Offended by Offended People"

Photobucket 

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Nov 23, 2009 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

"Colors that pop" That's the concept I keep trying to get across to my wedding planner and florist but they keep coming back with pale pinks and light blues. They say its a spring wedding so the lighter colors are more appropriate. I'm with you though, I want a modern, bold feel to my wedding!

wedding tickers

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: CaribbeanBride08

The colors worked perfectly for the location! You're right, bold is better!

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 7:28 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

Ditch the planner....seems like she's cramping your style!! Show them pictures of the looks and colors that you are going for, and then don't let them convince you otherwise!

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

San Patrick Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-san-patrick-c-420_454.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine