Favors

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 23

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Favors
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 7:05 PM

I am just looking for ideas here. What are you doing/have you done? What have you seen done? If it helps, we are having a fall wedding, outdoors at my parents home, and the reception will be in a barn. It won't be a "country" theme, though. We will have a lot of pumpkins and other fall-y themed stuff. We are inviting around 150 people.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: Favors
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

If you try searching the forums for previous threads on favors, you'll get tons of hits- and I mean that in the nicest, most helpful way.

Some people like to go for edible favors because then guests don't have useless artifacts with your name and wedding date on them lying around their house, and it's also great if you have leftover favors. Makes more sense to eat candy than try to find a use for 35 letter openers.

Carmel apples are popular in fall weddings, and candy buffets (or a cookie buffet like my cousin had at his wedding) are all the rage lately too.

Homemade favors like jam, honey, wine, or seed packets are personal (and cost effective), or items that really mean something to you and FH, such as bookmarks if you both love to read. A photobooth where guests get to keep the photo strip is great fun too.

Just remember that favors are an invention of the past few decades, and are totally optional. Don't feel pressured to do them.

AngeArmani Posts : 56 Registered: 3/29/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 5:43 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Recalling past events as a guest, I totally enjoyed the favors that I received--especially the yummy edible ones--fudgy, chocolatey, caramely, sticky....as you can tell, I have a sweet tooth.

All the best,
Angela Armani

My very own personal blog! It's all about cake toppers! weird huh?

http://ultimateweddingtopperguide.blogspot.com/

Please do! I'm interested in your thoughts!
Laughing

haleybaley28 Posts : 3 Registered: 11/10/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 7:31 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Hi there!

For our wedding favors we plan on getting personalized M&M's and packaging them ourselves in favor boxes that match our colors (black and white). For the M&M's you choose the candy colors and have personalized wording and even pictures! We're having "Dan and Haley" "October 10, 2010" and a picture of us. You can go to mymms.com and see what they would look like personalized, it's pretty fun!

Good luck :-)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 11:24 PM Go to message in response to: haleybaley28

We are doing pink and blue gummy bears for our favors. It has a whole backstory, but long story short, our nicknames from most of the people in our lives are pinkbear and bluebear! I originally wanted to do our favorite candy (australian licorice!) in a cute favor container, like tiny mini-galvanized buckets since we are doing a rustic vineyard wedding.

My FH's dad recently got re-married and they gave out sunglasses that had purple lenses because he bought her a pair on their first date.

I'm all for doing something really simple and yummy that people can eat, but I really like the idea of something that is memorable and has a story, something that your guests will take with them other than more calories!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Teachers Posts : 12 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: agd1017

At a friends wedding she ordered plastic packages of spice (kinda like all spice or Mrs. Dash). She printed off labels of her and her FH and the wedding date. I still have the spice and cook with it all the time. She had lots left over from the wedding so of course I have more than 1 container. I love it when people ask me what type of spice I add to this recipe.. I love saying "X" and "X" spice and then explaining the story! I was a great favor because most people cook and it's a spice that you can use in basically every recipe!! Good Luck

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: Teachers

A friend of mine got married last October and for their favors they had little maple leaf shaped bottles of maple syrup. That was really cute, and it looked really classy on the tables as well.

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 2:44 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

FH & I love to cook--and everybody has to do it!
If budget is permitting (we may omit favours all together) we might get 2oz bottles of extra virgin olive oil with personalized labels on them.

They're cute, classy, inexpensive and practical--in my opinion.

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 6:11 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Thanks everybody! I really like the M&M's that we can personalize! That is really cool. I also like the ideas of things that are edible, and things that are personal to us. Great ideas!

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 7:40 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

We gave out CDs of favorite tunes. I know a LOT of our guests actualy play them still and it is their car's default CD.

DH loves music and has enough songs on his computer to actually fill five iPods. Every year, one of the things I do is create a compilation Christmas CD. This year is actually the 10 year anniversary edition. I have several people who look forward to the CD. My friend who did my flowers actually has already popped in last year's CD (Last year he did that too) as I try to get them out just before Thanksgiving.

We invested in a lightscribe (it's a machine that burns an image ONTO the top of the disc) and created our own playlist for our favor. A few were left on the table. We made 100. 85 people RSVPd, we had 10 no shows (for various reasons), and we have 26 left... so almost everyone took theirs. Of the remaining, we're going to send them to family members and close friends who could not make it. But I have gotten a LOT of feedback on them. (One guy from work took it, didn't plan on playing it, but popped it in nevertheless. He said he almost had to pull the car over so that he could dance to the CD). Total cost for 100? $150 (and that includes the lightscribe itself--which I am now using for my Christmas CDs)

Misty

Mandi1983 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

My FH and I are doing charity favors through IDoFoundation.Org. We each chose a favorite charity and we are going to donate to each of the two charities in honor of each guest. I am making bookmarks that have information on them about the charities and why we chose them. To let them know that we made the donation in each of their names I am also putting,

"To thank you for sharing our special day we have made a donation in your name to the American Cancer Society and First Book".

My step-dad passed away of cancer in '02 so that is why we chose American Cancer society. And my FH loves to read, so that is why we chose First Book.

It's going to be relatively inexpensive as we are donating $1 per charity in honor of each guest (so $2 per guest x 350 = $700). All of the personalized favors I've look at range from $2-$4 anyways, so really it's not any more expensive than the traditional favor, and it will mean more.

tkcanadianbride Posts : 1 Registered: 1/8/10
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: Mandi1983

Hi, Mandi. My fiance and I are also considering making a charitable donation in lieu of favours. I find at weddings that many people don't even really want the favours anyways. Sure, its nice to offer something sweet, but then its gone in minutes. Something useful may/may not ever be used, and something with the couple's names on it (candles, etc.) usually get tossed into a cupboard....so instead, why not put that money towards something more meaningful? How was your donation gesture received by your guests? I would respect the idea of doing something positive for our community instead of receiving candy or frames or coasters, no matter how cute. But maybe not everyone thinks that way?....

LoveSmartDesign Posts : 11 Registered: 12/19/09
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 9:29 PM Go to message in response to: tkcanadianbride

Oooh, I love the favor project! I think it was my favorite part of planning.

We had welcome baskets that included a set of personalized puzzles and games (I create them, so that was a no-brainer) and everyone had a ball learning fun facts about us as a couple.

We also had honey jar wedding favors at our brunch wedding. They were small enough for guests to take them home on the plane and delicious enough to eat. Plus we used the honey sticks as place cards. They really fit our farm-to-table, garden theme, as did our welcome baskets, which were berry tills.

Here are some photos for inspiration.

For personalized puzzles and games that make fun welcome gifts and favors visit www.LoveSmartDesign.com

Agape14 Posts : 201 Registered: 12/31/08
Posted: Jan 12, 2010 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

We're hoping to have a photobooth at our wedding (if I can squeeze it into the budget!) and I'm toying with the idea of giving picture frames and letting guests "make their own favour" with their favourite shots from the booth. We get unlimited photos with the rental, so guests could take as many shots as they want, and the best part is that the 4 pictures are displayed in a 4x6 photo with a logo of our wedding date and/or a message from us. So it's still personalized to our day, but it's something that the guests will likely use/keep. Also, the booth will make 2 copies of each photo, and the extra shots will be put into an album that will serve as our guest book. So, FH and I will also have those fun memories combined with our guests well wishes.

This isn't a cheap option by any means, but it's something I really want at the wedding, so if I can combine with the favours all the better!

FYI, if anyone is thinking about this option, some companies have the old style photobooth that you see in the mall, and some companies (like the one I'll be using) have a set up with curtained enclosure (basically an 8x8 space made with curtains) that's a bit more elegant.

~~Life's tough, wear a cup~~

futuremrsridl Posts : 14 Registered: 6/19/08
Posted: Jan 25, 2010 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Hey! I am also having a fall-theme wedding and I came up with the idea of giving out tulip bulbs with a note attached that basically says plant this and when it grows think of us! It will be perfect timing because that's when you plant bulbs! Not to metion it's pretty cost effective because you can get 105 bulbs for only $80 something online.... Although I'm sure there are even better deals out there! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine