October 2010 Brides

Online Users: 1,349 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,708

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Re: October 2010 Brides
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:12 PM Go to message in response to: HollyD

Congrats and welcome to the boards!

Is anyone else doing cake pulls?

I've heard it's a mostly southern tradition but it's really cute. Your baker puts silver charms in the cake attached to ribbons and your BM's pull them out before you cut the cake.

Example:

A high chair means the girl will be the next to become pregnant, a ring means she will be the next to get engaged/married ect.

It's really cute and you could get the girls a charm bracelet to put the charm on and it could double as your BM's gift.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

To love another person is to see the face of God.

My wedding blog

http://thenolabride.blogspot.com/

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

Rebecca, I do think that's cute, but we probably won't do it...considering we probably won't have a cake. I'm thinking about doing cupcakes and lots of different desserts instead. But maybe if we had a "real" wedding cake. I think traditions like that are super fun.

Everyone's heard the one about the number of bows you have to cut at your bridal shower is equal to the number of kids you'll have? I'd actually never heard that till this year. Bizarre.

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3 save the date

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:29 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

Oh fun! I would love a desserts table but the venue is doing all the food and passing around tons of food so we'll have the two cakes and a chocolate fountain! (Which i'm terrified to get near.)

Growing up in Mississippi you get all of the lovely traditions.

You're supposed try and get the bows of without breaking them! Also, you're supposed to keep all the bows so at the rehearsal you use the bows as your bouqet!

And, for a fun shower game (fun for who really?) Someone is supposed to write down the first thing you say about the gifts then read them aloud and apply it to the wedding night.

Example:

Oh my, what pretty wrapping. Wow...that's a large package. Look how colorful it is!

haha.

My wedding blog

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

LOVE the writing down things you say. TOO funny. Of course, I doubt I would enjoy that if I was the one in question! :) Reminds me, I went to a Pure Romance party last spring, and we did this "game" where you right down the reason why you hate some chore you have to do either at home or at work. Then, you introduce yourself and say "I hate sex because..." so mine was "I'm Caitlin, and I hate sex because you can never understand the other person!" ha ha ha. Really, the thing I hated was answering the phone. =)

Is anyone doing seating arrangments? Right now Michael and I are toying around with a couple of ways of doing the ceremony/reception at his mom's. The first way has two separate areas, so we'd have the ceremony seating and then all the reception tables, and probably not worry about a seating chart and just let everyone sit where they want. The second way, though, everything would be done in one area, so guests would be sitting "cabaret style" at the tables while we have the ceremony, and we thought it might be better for us to have a seating chart if we did it this way. I'm not really sure...I think a lot of it comes down to how many chairs we want to rent!

HollyD Posts : 81 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 11:03 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

I am doing the cake pulls! I have 4 friends standng up with me and we will have a pull for each of them and 1 for my sister and FH's sister. I haven't decided what pulls to use yet, but it is a very cute idea. I hope that my friends like it to.

TheLuckiest Posts : 357 Registered: 1/7/07
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 1:02 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

We're not doing a cocktail hour because our venue doesn't allow alcohol. Well they do, but we're not jumping through the hoops, especially on a Sunday.

.:Katie:.

Unique seashell bouquets at tidalbridal.etsy.com

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 1:47 AM Go to message in response to: HollyD

I think i'm getting the girls a charm bracelet with a Fleur De Lis charm already on it since the wedding is in New Orleans and it has been a symbol of our relationship so it ties in with the wedding nicely.

For the pulls I think i'm going with a ring, an anchor, a high chair, a four leaf clover, a sail boat, and a shell.

Each will be on a gold or purple ribbon and they will be able to place the charm on their bracelet.

My wedding blog

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 7:10 AM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

a cocktail hour is not really a "COCKTAIL" hour. it is more of an appetizer hour...its suppossed to be geared towards having passed horsederves (sp?)...not consuming as much alcohol as you can! lol. Usually this is the 'hour' whent he bride, groom, parents, and bridal party are off taking photos, so to keep your guests entertained you feed them some light appetizers, and yes, drinks. but you dont have to include the drinks. you can just have a soda, coffe, tea, juice bar. But, i would definately reconsider NOT having a cocktail hour. people will be bored...and hungry too!

we are not doing cake pulls. as cute of an idea it is, it is also a little gross to think that some kind of metal charm is IN the cake! and i dont think i would ever want to try and clean it to wear it again. LOL! what if you did more of a plastic charm in the cake and then got them a nice jewelry charm to match but that did not go in the cake? that way you could throw out the nasty frosting covered one and have the nice jewelry one to keep?

As fas as seating....I think, no matter where you have your wedding, you should have assigned seating. Especially if you are renting chairs...you dont want to have to order extras. If you let everyone sit where they want you will have some tables that are not full while others will have extra seats that someone stole from one table to drag over to another. plus, you would have to have extra tables and chairs so that if a couple is looking for a seat, but there is only one open at a table that they dont have to split up.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 8:02 AM Go to message in response to: HollyD

Welcome to the thread Holly! It's good to know the leaf girl idea is becoming popular :)

That cake pull thing I have never heard of it but it sounds pretty neat!

I am not looking forward to making up the seating arrangements since my FH's family is divorced. I'll worry about it when the time comes.

What songs are you ladies picking for the 1st dance? I wonder if there is a way to skip the 1st dance altogther. FH and I have NO IDEA what to have as our dance, and we don't like to dance but I will make him dance with me on our wedding day lol.

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Edited by: CheetahAngel on Nov 18, 2009 8:02 AM

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 10:24 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

Toast, Cheetah, we are considering the seating chart, but neither of us have ever been to a wedding where there was one. I'm sure they happen around here, but I think it's just one of those very rare things in our area.

We haven't really talked about the first dance song. I really want to do a fun, choreographed dance since dancing is my passion, but FH hates being in front of people for any reason, so I think he may balk at the idea. A couple of songs I've thought about so far are "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder and "Don't Let Me Down" by the Beatles, but sang by a local artist (if I can find it on CD). Both of them are fairly meaningful to our relationships.

NL2010 Posts : 108 Registered: 6/27/09
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: TheLuckiest

TheLuckiest- I was thinking about having a brunch reception earlier in the day so that the wedding won't interfere with trick-and-treating. Our tentative menu plan is to have bagels, donuts, muffins, asst. coffee cakes, shrimp cocktail, pasta salad, veggie and dip trays, cheese and cracker trays, spinach dip and bread, fruit trays, cookie trays and brownie trays. My FH also wants cold cut platters with asst. rolls and breads. I was thinking about doing our pictures before the ceremony and then starting the reception as soon as the ceremony is finished. I was thinking about doing the ceremony around 10:30am and then having the reception from 11am to 3pm. That would be a four hour reception but if people wanted to stay longer they could. We were also thinking about inviting everyone over to our house after the trick-or-treating curfew for a small after party with a mini dessert buffet and coffee.

Are you going to invite your guests to come in costume?

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 12:50 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

No, no no! That isn't how it works! The baker bakes the cake and then at the very bottom of the cake he puts a piece of plastic and ontop of the plastic goes the cake and under the plastic goes the charms so the charms never touch the cake! The charms come out all nice and clean and the cake isn't damaged in the process.

We aren't doing a seating chart as I could honestly care less where people sit. Sit by and with whomever you're comfortable with however we aren't having a dinner. It's more like a cocktail reception. The staff carries around trays of food and you just grab a small plate of food off of the tray.

I think we're dancing to Love Me Tender by Norah Jones or This Year's Love by David Grey.

My wedding blog

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: RebeccaFazzio

This is a bit random, but... last night, I bought a 2010 calender and started writing important dates in. I got to October, and when I wrote "Our Wedding!" on the 16th, it was the weirdest feeling ever. Even though I've said "I'm getting married Octobet 16th, 2010" ... it suddenly feels so much more official and, somehow, it seems so much closer!

And yes, I have been planning for almost two months and haven't written it on a calender. I don't even think I own a 2009 calendar! =)

Southernbell2010 Posts : 19 Registered: 2/16/09
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 10:14 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

I don't remember who said they were getting their BM's fleur de lis charm bracelets, but thanks for the ideal. I having totes made with the fleur de lis symbol on them for each girls, so the charm bracelet will be a perfect addition. I may even get matching earrings and necklaces.

I want to do Fleur De Lis stationary, have you been able to find any ? I haven't seen anything I like so far.

I do a seating chart, although its a lot of work, I think it will make the day go much smoother. Besides not all my family or my FH's family get along, so a seating chart will cut down on the possibility of drama.

I never heard of the cake pulls, but I going to look into it, it is really a cute ideal.

Live, Laugh, Love Kiss

Bailey2Be Posts : 56 Registered: 4/26/09
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 11:17 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

Our first dance will be to Come What May by Mario Frangoulis. Everyone I've talked to has never even heard of the song, which makes it even more special to us. Its a really sweet/beautiful song. It is a bit on the long side so were are having our DJ edit it in order to make it shorter.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine