Destination: South Africa

Online Users: 1,249 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

pitdigger Posts : 37 Registered: 10/31/09
Destination: South Africa
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 5:53 PM

Wedding and honeymoon in South Africa, we'll be visiting some of his family there, but I'm looking for some must do or must see things.

Anyone have any suggestions?

For what its worth, we'll probably be in Kwa Zulu-Natal for most of the time.

Thanks!
Jillian

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Destination: South Africa
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

Dear Jillian,

Hmmm... I say that surfing or swimming in Durban would be a must-do, but it might be too cold there in the middle of winter (July). Durban has beautiful beaches, so even if you just walk along the water you'll have a good time. I was taken to Pietermaritzburg from Durban. The drive was a lovely one through beautiful mountains.

You might consider Cape Town, if possible. When I was there I went up to Table Mountain for a fantastic view, and also made it down to the Cape of Good Hope, the "end" of Africa. Cape Town has a mini-society called the Cape Coloreds, which are mixed race people traditionally descended from the indigenous blacks and the white European sailors and settlers.

When I was in South Africa, I was told by all that "colored" was totally the proper way to refer to white/black mixed race people. As an American, I was not at all inclined to use that word, but it was perfectly proper there. The Cape Colored people refer to themselves as Cape Colored. They have their own music, jazz, literature, culture, patois, etc.

I got to see a Cape Colored jazz band play in a large shopping area near Cape Town, and it was great. Everyone was into the music. That place rocked!

Posted: Nov 4, 2009 9:37 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Hi Aunt,

Thanks for the suggestions. We're definitely going to Cape Town before the wedding and his dad's family is mostly in Margate and Pietermaritzberg, so we'll probably be seeing a lot of those places.

Do you have any suggestions of good things to do in Cape Town? I have a couple of ideas and we're planning a Boulder's Beach outing for penguins and wine.

Thanks again.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:34 AM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

Dear Jillian,

I'm sorry I can't be really specific since it's been a while since I was in South Africa. Any "hip" restaurant would be either defunct or unhip by now!

My best suggestion would be to get a current travel guidebook.

I really enjoyed Cape Town, that's for sure. In Durban, you should be able to find a lot of Indian restaurants, although I did not go to any while I was there. If you like Indian food, Durban would be your best bet. They told me the largest population of Indians outside India is Durban and the Natal region.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 5, 2009 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

How exciting! I would love to go to South Africa. I hear they have some of the best beaches so make sure to visit the beaches. Another fun thing you can do is find a safari!! That is one of my wish list thing to do before I die lol. Go on a safari and see all the African animals, especially the cheetahs!! ;)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 10:22 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks again for the advice. I was thinking more along the lines of things to see, mostly because I tend to expect a certain amount of turnover for restaurants, and we're more likely to just stop in somewhere than hunt a place down. Except for the Hungry Hunter. That one we're trying to find.

Posted: Nov 7, 2009 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Hi Cheetah,

Thanks. I've heard similar things about the beaches, so we're figuring that in. Also, we're having the ceremony at a game reserve and trying to do an afternoon game drive between ceremony and reception and we're planning on a few days at a reserve on our own before hitting the family visit circuit. We're definitely going to see some critters. He's hoping for rhinos, I'm hoping for hippos.

kateo Posts : 18 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

That sounds fun.. a safari wedding.. I've been to Capetown a few times and my favorite area is Camps Bay, even when it's cold it is beautiful, and has some great restaurants along the seafront. You could head south to Simonstown to see the penguins, and we saw a whale alongside the highway! (in the sea of course..). I would highly recommend the cheetah reserve and eagle sanctuary... and you could drive up to Fraanschoek which is a really beautiful wine town with amazing food. Catch a flight 2 hours to Namibia and jump down giant sand dunes.. And have a VIP tour of Joburg zoo where you can hold lion cubs...

Lots of ideas! Have fun :)

kateo Posts : 18 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: pitdigger

That sounds fun.. a safari wedding.. I've been to Capetown a few times and my favorite area is Camps Bay, even when it's cold it is beautiful, and has some great restaurants along the seafront. You could head south to Simonstown to see the penguins, and we saw a whale alongside the highway! (in the sea of course..). I would highly recommend the cheetah reserve and eagle sanctuary... and you could drive up to Fraanschoek which is a really beautiful wine town with amazing food. Catch a flight 2 hours to Namibia and jump down giant sand dunes.. And have a VIP tour of Joburg zoo where you can hold lion cubs...

Lots of ideas! Have fun :)

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 11:15 AM Go to message in response to: kateo

Hi Kateo!

Thanks for the ideas. We talked about Namibia, but ruled that out because we're primarily going to be on the othe side of the country. The Capetown ideas are really appreciated. Now the discussion has moved to questions of including Swaziland or Ponta d'Ouro in Mozambique.

Thanks again!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine