October 2010 Brides

Online Users: 1,275 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,708

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Re: October 2010 Brides
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 8:49 PM Go to message in response to: 1010VTbride

We are doing STD's but not to every single person. I'm mostly sending them out to people who live far away, or who we don't talk to very often. And maybe to the parents, simply because they might want to save them, I don't know. I'm a sentimental person and I know I would want to save one. But I don't have any extras. lol

Plans for this weekend... we are going racing! Eric does go kart racing, and there is a series that does indoor racing on coke syrup! It sounds weird but they spray coke syrup (like what they use in the mix with fountain pop) on the floor and you race on that. Anyway, that's this Saturday, and he knows a bunch of other people who do it so it's a fun time. I enjoy watching him, because he has so much fun and really enjoys it. We always stay the night up there; it's only 2 hours away but by the time you've been at the arena for 12-14 hours the last thing you want to do is drive all the way home. Plus it makes for a nice little getaway for us. It's about once a month or so.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 9:03 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Amanda, that's awesome. Sounds so fun! I know a girl who went to a tracter demo derby. She thought it sounded weird at first, but said it ended up being so much fun! Michael and I won't get a "weekend away" until December. We have a friend who fight in the UFC so we are going to St. Louis to watch one of his matches. I'm excited to have a little mini vacation, even if it's something I'm not particularly interested in. It will definitely be a new experience!

1010, I'm afraid I didn't read your post fully before I responded earlier...or I just totally glossed over what you had said. I understand the delimma you are having, and I would probably recommend either only sending STDs to those you know you will definitely invite now and sending others a bit a later (like you said, February or March). I think that is still sufficient time that they would be able to make any necessary travel arrangements or request time off. In any case, it's still an advanced notice of the invitation.

I would also recommend holding off sending them to anyone you're on the fence about. For the coworker you mentioned, I would think about whether or not there's a possibility you could remain friends once she leaves the company. I think you said you probably wouldn't, but is there a possibility? Is she simply going somewhere else to work, or is she relocating so that you would be unable to hang out with her if you wanted. Would you even want to hang out with her outside of work? I'm sorry if I'm asking questions or making a suggestion you've already mentioned. It's been a long night at work and my brain isn't quite thinking properly. :)

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3 save the date

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 9:57 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

1010VT- if save the dates are stressing you out, then simply skip them! simple solution :)

but, seriously, i see your point, and understand where your coming from. If i wwere you, i would at least wait until after the holidays to send anything. you dont want your STD to get mixed up with christmas cards and possibly thrown out.

next, make an A list and a B list of your guests. the A list will have the poeple you can live without having invited to your wedding...think, mom, dad, siblings, aunts, best friend, etc. the B list will have all those "iffy" people, mainly coworkers, neigbors, family friends, etc. Send a STD to all the people on the A list, and dont worry about the B list people. Once you decide who should be invited, simply send them an invitation. Not everyone needs a STD. Its kind of just more of a fun thing to do to announce your date. definately not necessary, and not necessary for everyone either. (kind of like the rehersal dinner....you only invite a select few...not everyone)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Southernbell2010 Posts : 19 Registered: 2/16/09
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 10:58 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

What are you guys doing for bridal party gifts. I'm lost.

I know I want to do tote's for the girls, but I don't know what esle to do. I was going to do liquor for the guys, but my FH said no.

Live, Laugh, Love Kiss

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 7:06 AM Go to message in response to: Southernbell2010

I did earrings and another piece of jewelry for the girls. my MOH got a braclet, the other bridesmaids got a ring. Im not that thrilled with the rings, and I might exchange them, but I got a deal on them as a sort of "set" and can exchange them anytime. I also got them each a bottle of pumpkin scented body/hand lotion! I am also going to pay the tip portion of their hair and makeup, and also try to pay for part of either their hair and makeup or hotel (if budget allows).

For the guys we got them each a nice watch. For the best man, FH wants to get him a nice watch box. its kind of like a jewelry box for men to keep their watches in. they are pretty nice.

Im not too sure about parent gifts yet. We got my Dad one of othe watches that we got the guys, just a different face color. (the guys watches have a bright cinnamony-red face, my FH has a brown and champagen face, and we got my dad a blue face.) I also bought him a nice tie to wear day of.

my step mom i will buy a bottle of wine, and a nice picture frame. My mom i already got a nice set of photo albums. but i am kind of stuck on my FMIL's gift. We also want to get a parent album made with our professional pics, so that will be their "main" gift that they will get after the wedding.

1010VTbride Posts : 50 Registered: 5/24/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 7:28 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

Thanks guys for the advice! I think we will at the very least just wait to send them until after the holidays...and even then, perhaps we'll end up just skipping them altogether. Most of the people who "need" to know, already know about the date and have it saved. Not sending them might even trim the guest list down a little (terrible to say,....but wouldn't break my heart either..:), which is beginning to morph into some kind of monster.
wedding website

NL2010 Posts : 108 Registered: 6/27/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

Hi everyone. I changed my username, used to be Lydia31. The past two weeks have been insane. I had a huge blow up with my mom and we haven't spoken to each other in days and at this moment I have no desire to speak to her ever again. My FH and I are going ahead with our wedding without her and most of that side of my family. We have set the date for 10/31/10 and all of the important people know about it. I'm not changing our plans again. Sorry I am just really pissed still.

My FH kept trying to talk me into having a bigger wedding in a few years because he thought that it was what I really wanted and my mom had a huge hand in talking me into it as well. But my mom can go to hell at this point!!

Sorry, not trying to take the conversation away from the STD questions. I'm just venting. My mom drives me insane. I am so much happier when she is not in my life. Sucks, but it's the truth.

Bailey2Be Posts : 56 Registered: 4/26/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: NL2010

Lydia- I completely understand!! My situation is similar to yours, except my FH is the one having a war his parents. His mom is the kind of person who thinks things are disrespectful, rude, blah blah blah if things are not done the way she wants them done or if you think differently then her. A month ago she decided she wasn't going to the wedding and told FH family she wasn't going and now his family probably will not come to the wedding. Somehow she felt it was right to tell the whole family over a month ago that she was not going to our wedding, but we just found out last night.

FH convinced his mom to go to therapy together to work their issues out. Well they went to their first and last session yesterday. The therapist, like everyone else, can see that she is crazy and since the therapist is obviously not agreeing with her, then she doesn't want to go any more.

I hate it, because I do not have a great relationship with my MIL like so many other brides. It brings a lot of unnecessary stress to the wedding and more importantly our daily lives

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: Bailey2Be

Bailey- My mom really only truly cares about herself and that's how its always been. She was so insisitent that she wanted me to have this big fancy wedding and she was going to help and pay for most of it and blah, blah. She was just trying to show off for her friends really and I am kicking myself that I didn't see her true motives. I keep giving her chance after chance and she always does something really messed up. She was telling me that I could do better than my FH and that my FMIL was an idiot and I just about strangled my mom. If you don't agree with her then you're wrong. She cares more about what her friends think than my feelings. She's usually only super nice to me when she needs me to do something for her. I thought that we were finally getting along, really getting along but I was wrong. I am just done with her drama and bullsh*t.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Bailey2Be

Bailey- Sorry that you guys are going this crap as well. I totally understand the situation. It just really kind of sucks because I see my friends have parties with both families there and everybody just gets along and has a good time and it makes me sad sometimes. I don't get how that is so hard. I'm not asking everyone to love each other just spend an afternoon together.

My MIL and I get along pretty good but you kind of expect your mom to be a part of your wedding and life, a big part. I'm just really frustrated.

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: Southernbell2010

We are still struggling with wedding party gifts as well. Sometimes I just want to throw my hands in the air and give up. Of course, I can't do that. I hadn't thought of a bottle of wine or liquor. With our WP, that might not be such a bad idea! lol

I have a killer headache today, woke up at 7am, took something for it, slept til 11, and now I think I'm going back to bed. Ugh.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

TheLuckiest Posts : 357 Registered: 1/7/07
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 2:08 PM Go to message in response to: NL2010

Hi Lydia. I'm sorry your mom-situation sucks. But yay, a date twin!
SO, how are you guys going to handle the fact that Halloween is on a Sunday? Have your ceremony earlier in the day or just let people deal with the fact that they may be out late on a work night? We're thinking doing it earlier and only doing desserts, but part of me wants to do a more traditional 5pm dinner type wedding format. Also, we can't get into our location until noon, so pulling off a 2 or 3 o'clock wedding with so little time to set up would be hard!

.:Katie:.

Unique seashell bouquets at tidalbridal.etsy.com

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: TheLuckiest

you could still do a 5pm dinner. i mean, a 5 hour reception only puts you at 10pm, which isnt bad.
or, if you did a 3pm ceremony, then have cocktail hour start at 4pm...and then the reception would end at 9pm

Posted: Nov 17, 2009 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: TheLuckiest

My wedding is not on Halloween, but it IS on a Sunday. We're having a 2:30 ceremony time, but will have some time between the ceremony and reception for pictures. I think we're doing a cocktail hour or something like that. We're not planning a real late reception either, because people will have to work the next day. That Monday will be Columbus Day, so some people will have it off but not everybody.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

HollyD Posts : 81 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 9:55 PM Go to message in response to: agd1017

Hello All!! I don't think I have posted on this thread before, but I wanted to join in on all of the planning talk. My wedding date is 10/23/10. I wanted a Halloween theme but didn't want it actually on halloween weekend (I have two kids whose halloween I did not want to ruin). I started to read all of the posts but realized that it would take me forever. My wedding colors will be chocolate, burnt orange, burgandy and maybe some fern green highlights. I had to compromise with my FH on the actual wedding. He didn't want to do halloween at the church, so it is just fall colors at the church and a halloween reception. I am going to carry over a couple of things to tie them in together. My daughter will be the leaf girl at the church and the leaves will be carried over to the reception. I am going to have jack-o-lanterns for the centerpieces at the reception. At the church we have carved pumpkins with a monogramed H in them to line the isle with (I bought "funkins" at Hobby Lobby). I am just trying to make the two places look like they somewhat go together.

It will be great to talk to others about wedding details. I sometimes feel like I am alone in planning. Guess no one else around me is as exited as I am!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine