Roaring 20's

Online Users: 1,322 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 9

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Roaring 20's
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 2:20 AM

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of actual weddings from the 1920's? This is my favorite time era, the attitude of the 20's, the clothing, everything! I want to incorporate it into my wedding in some of the details, but I want it to be things that they actually used in the 1920's, not just what resembles it. For example, maybe replicate a cake, or replicate the invites. Everything I find is basically saying "use invites with a long cigarette or a flapper on them", or something to that extent. I'm thinking more "Great Gatsby" vs. Art Deco for the decor. I just can't find anything!!! I don't want to have my whole wedding themed like the 1920's, just inspired from actual weddings. I do want to rent a vintage car, and use vintage style invites, maybe a vintage cake, and vintage centerpieces and other decorations as well.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Re: Roaring 20's
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 8:42 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

What a neat idea! :) Have you tried to use Google for any ideas? Google is my best friend LOL.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:06 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Yeah but google isn't being much of a help. The closest thing I've found is just photo's of people and there attire, but I'm not actually going to dress like the 1920's (even though that would be kinda cool if all the girls dressed as flappers and the guys in mob gear, hehehe)

SpideyBridey Posts : 66 Registered: 5/17/09
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Hmm..that's a tough one. Have you thought about checking out the library? Hope you find what you're looking for!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 10:16 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

The library is going to be a great source, as well as somewhere with a newspaper archive (I know my small town library has one, but not sure if all do?). Do you live near a college? Maybe someone in their archives or library research area could point you in a good direction, even though they probably won't have this information campus.

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3

wedding website

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

Hello! I googled 1920's wedding invintations, and several classic looking ones popped up. Unofrotantly I can not post pics as I am at work, but try that sort of wording for google maybe?

cdnchic Posts : 7 Registered: 10/1/09
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I came across this website it may help

www.wedthemes.com/1920s-theme-wedding.shtml

good luck!!

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Thanks for the tips!

Spidey and Jellybean, I have considered going to the library, was just wondering if there was anything I could find online as well. I have found some more info on what they did in the 20's, but I think to get actual photo's I'm gonna have to go to the library.

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Nov 12, 2009 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Hello, FutureMrsDJLeo! Nice to meet you! Congrats on your engagement, and I’m so happy you’ve decided on a vintage theme for your wedding!

Because I love vintage wedding photos, I decided to start a little vintage wedding website, www.weddingspinster.com to help brides like you.

Here are some of the specific pages you might want to look at:

ZEROING IN (you’ll find the link at the top of the main page):
“1920s Weddings”
“Autumn Cornwell” (she’s a friend of mine; she chose 1920s as her theme; I’ve only posted one photo from her wedding, but she’s offered to let me post more; I’ll try to get them from her…but she’s about to have a baby so she’s a bit frantic at the moment!)
“A Bouquet of Songs” (a couple of songs that are mentioned were written in the 1920s)
“Cakes on Parade” (no specific 1920s cake, but you can see other early cakes that might help you)

ET CETERA (again, you’ll find the link at the top of the main page)
“1924 French Wedding Invitation”
“Marriage Certificate – 1923”

LOOKING BACK (the link’s at the top of the main page)
“Lovers’ Knots”
In general, LOOKING BACK includes links to all of the photos I’ve posted this year; even photos from other eras, like the 1940s, might give you some ideas.

FOUND IT (the link’s at the top of the main page)
“ASV Living Era CDs” (I HIGHLY recommend Living Era CDs, and I know that they manufactured collections of songs from the 1920s because I own their “Hits of ’22” and “Hits of ‘23”)

Additionally, one of the things I love most about 1920s weddings are the creative (wacky!) headpieces the brides used to wear!!! Try to find something via Ebay, if you can. I think the right veil would really add to the feel of a ‘20s-inspired ceremony.

I’ve already got other photos planned for the next two weeks, but – if my computer doesn’t crash again -- I’ll try to post something “1920s” the week of November 30th. (Occasionally, from time to time after that, I’ll post other 1920s photos. So be sure to check in, when you can!)

Have a great wedding!

www.weddingspinster.com

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 2:30 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Go to Google and search "Great Gatsby theme pictures" and click on the first result which is "image results".....there you will find all things Gatsby; inspiration boards, themes, colors decoration. It's a great source that I've actually been looking at for inspiration for my own wedding. Just browse through all the images and you should get some great ideas!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine