Mother/Daughter Dance?

Online Users: 1,345 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

WoostaBride Posts : 220 Registered: 6/8/09
Mother/Daughter Dance?
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:35 PM

Hi everyone. I have recently been thinking about the special dances that I will be having at my wedding, and I have an idea that may not be traditionally done, but something that would really mean a lot to me. I am an only child with a VERY close relationship to both my mother and father (who are still married). I will of course be having a father/daughter dance, but I would really like to honor my mother by having a dance with her as well. They both have brought so much to my life, and I really feel that they each should know how much I appreciate them. When I was little I used to sing "Wind Beneath My Wings" to my mother, and the words and sentiment of the song are perfect for the way I feel about her. What do you all think?? I'm not one to care too much about how others perceive the things I do,so I'm not too worried about it being "weird".....I just thought I would get some opinions, or suggestions from other woman who may have done something similar. Thanks!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Mother/Daughter Dance?
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

My cousin did this at her wedding, and actually, she used that same song to dance with her mother. Her father was not in the picture or in their lives , and she is very close to her mom, so she had her mom walk her down the aisle, and did a mother/daughter dance to Wind Beneath .... there was not a dry eye in the place. It was really sweet.

In your case, since youre having a father/daughter dance, I would do that first since its the more traditional one, then either right afterwards, or a bit later on, tell your DJ to announce that you have a special dedication song for your mom, and then dance with her. If you dont want it to be a spotlight dance, you can just have the dj treat it like any other dance and dedicate it to your mom from you, but invite all guests ontothe dance floor to dance too.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:18 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Thanks Kelley....I was thinking the same thing about saving it until after the father/daughter dance. I actually do want it to be a spotlight dance though....not for myself, but I want everyone to be paying attention to her, and sharing that special moment with us. She put her dreams on hold and sacrificed things that she would have liked to do in her life to raise me, and I want that moment to be hers. I may invite other mother/daughter's to the dance floor halfway through the song to join us. I think that all the mothers that will be there would truly enjoy that.

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:06 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

Go for it! I think it's a great idea and a great song. Your mom will be soooo happy that you danced together to that song :) I wish I can do that for my wedding but my mom passed away 9 years ago. So enjoy every minute of it and dance with your mom!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

SweetSurrender Posts : 130 Registered: 5/14/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:23 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I think it's a great idea! FSIL did this at her wedding. It was a surprise for her mother and she was in tears the entire time. It was completely unexpected and you could tell that FMIL really cherished it.

"Love doesn't make the world go 'round.
Love is what makes the ride worthwhile."

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

Aww that's so sweet. Go for it that's an awesome idea and your mom will love it.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 1:10 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Thanks everyone, glad to hear that you like the idea. It will be a miracle if my mom (or me for the matter) makes it through the song.....the tears will be flowing for sure!

MarissaRowland Posts : 33 Registered: 10/2/09
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 3:43 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I see a tear jerker coming on... Such a powerful song! I think that will be a very special moment you and your mother will share that you will both remember forever.

NewMrsVelino Posts : 144 Registered: 6/9/08
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: MarissaRowland

I did the Mother/Daughter Dance, but we did it to Brown Eyed Girl. It was a surprise to my mom and she loved it. Because it was an upbeat song, after a little while through the song we invited all the moms to come out and dance with us!! It's a great idea and a great way to honor your mother as well!
When is my wedding

tellyy Posts : 27 Registered: 10/31/06
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

there is absoluely,postively nothing wrong or ''weird'' about dancing with your mommy

MyBridalCenter Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 12:09 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

There's nothing weird about that at all. In fact, it sounds like a great idea. Congratulations and happy planning!

My Bridal Center - For all your wedding needs.

http://www.mybridalcenter.com

LibranBride Posts : 14 Registered: 7/18/08
Posted: Nov 8, 2009 9:39 PM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

I think that's a sweet idea and you should definitely do it.

wedding planning

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 6:32 AM Go to message in response to: WoostaBride

It looks like a nice idea. Both tehparents deserved to be felt special that day.
pearl jewelry store

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine