Groom in white tux for fall wedding?

Online Users: 1,312 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

Courtney1113 Posts : 2 Registered: 4/11/09
Groom in white tux for fall wedding?
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 8:29 PM

My FH and I our planning a November 2010 wedding, we want it to be very fall themed, our colors are chocolate brown, burnt oranges and hints of gold. His groomsmen wont be wearing suits instead they will probably wear orange dress shirts and brown slacks- although that is not final yet. ANYWAYS my grrom to be has always wanted to wear an all white tux, and I have been fine with that except the more I think about it the more I think it might look a little odd (with the other dark colors and all) and that he might upstage me. What are your thoughts? Any similar situations?

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Re: Groom in white tux for fall wedding?
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 8:36 PM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

I would say him being in white would seem a little out of place. Like you, I am having a fall themed wedding, with chocolate brown and burnt orange. I am having an ivory dress with other ivory touches, simply because white is too bright for that theme. My FH will be in a rich chocolate brown tux. Good luck.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

Brooke051609 Posts : 723 Registered: 12/31/07
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

I think a white tux will look just fine in a fall wedding. Put the brown vest with it, perhaps some of your burnt orange accent in to give some color. When my parents got married, it was an October fall wedding and my dad wore a white tux, he looked great! I LOVE a white tux! I wanted my DH to wear one for our wedding, but he actually didn't like the idea. And I don't think he'll be "upstaging you" by wearing white. You are going to be wearing a beautiful gown, and all done up. People rarely ever even remember what the groom is wearing. If your FH really wants to wear the white tux I would say work with him and compromise.

Daisypath

"Come What May...."

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 9:16 PM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

I agree with Brooke, in that it's your man's wedding day too, and I think he should be allowed to wear whatever he wants. He's not getting any say in your dress, right? (Which is almost surely white, the color you're considering isn't appropriate for fall). I think it's great that he cares about what he'll be wearing, even if it isn't your top choice.

My FH asked what men normally wear at weddings and I told him he could wear whatever he wanted. "A kilt!" He said. I laughed because it has nothing to do with our heritage, but said okay and told him about utilikilts. He then jokingly asked if he could wear a loincloth, so we determined that we can each wear almost anything we want, and the other person has small veto power.

Anyway, don't worry about it not being the right color for fall. Add accents of your color scheme and it will look fine! Your FH will always appreciate your acceptance of his white tux (or at least, never resent you for saying no!).

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

Upstage you? It's equally his day as it is yours.
White too contrasting with your dark colours? You're wearing white.

If you will match the wedding just fine in white then so will he.

If you tell him that he has to wear a dark suit--then he should have equal rights to tell you to wear a dark dress.

Let him wear what he wants (within reason--a loincloth may be inappropriate) and he will be happy--which in turn should make you happy.

Lots of brides here have had grooms in white tuxes and all their grooms look great.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

I'm prejudiced, because I don't really like a white tux on anyone (except, maybe, James Bond). But, as the others have said, it's his day. If you can't gently persuade him that another look would be better, then it's his choice.Also, if you want him to be open to your suggestions, then it's a good idea to involve him in your choices (your dress, decor, maids' dresses, etc.). Would he compromise with a cream jacket and brown tux pants? It's not a traditional combo, especially for fall, but it would blend and might satisfy both of you.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

AJLM Posts : 49 Registered: 11/18/08
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: Courtney1113

I am on the same page with Myra where I'm not a huge fan of the white tux, but it's his day too and if he wants to wear white let him. How would you feel if he told you he didn't want you to wear a white dress because it doesn't go with the theme? If you feel really strongly bring it up gently and when he goes to try on a tux see if he will try on other colors, but leave the decision up to him... again it's his day too.

The only thing I would say is that make sure you two have the same shade of white. If your dress is stark white, have him in stark white, if your in ivory (the wedding version) have him in it too. Wedding ivory is going to fall under the definition of white to most men (and women at that matter).

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine