newly engaged! HELP.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

joannadisaster Posts : 3 Registered: 11/6/09
newly engaged! HELP.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 2:32 AM

Hey everyone! My name is JoAnna, and my fiance, Jake, and I are getting married on September 25, 2010 in a historic theater. The theater was built in the 20's as a vaudeville theater, and the building is just gorgeous! Without getting too cheesy and lame with a theme, we are trying to have a vintage-inspired wedding that will match the decor of the theater. We are planning to play big band and jazz music throughout the ceremony and reception, and we are trying to infuse little vintage touches here and there. We are planning for the ceremony to take place on the stage, but as we have a slightly small wedding party, we are trying to find some way to decorate that won't make us look like tiny little ants up there. I am getting frustrated with hearing everyone say "Just put some columns up, it will be fine!" If anyone has any ideas for the stage or the wedding in general that they feel comfortable passing along, they would be much appreciated!

Here is a pic of the stage:

Congrats to everyone! :)

LieneVargo Posts : 10 Registered: 10/27/09
Re: newly engaged! HELP.
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 3:13 AM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

CONGRATULATIONS!

ok, so let see.....you are right about filling in that all space of the big stage. I came up with these ideas

1. Not sure if you have access and how is your budget, but how about filling in the space from cielings with chandeliers hanged in diferent levels leaving like more empty space in the midle where you and ur Fh will stand at ceremony, to add to the vintage feel, maybe crete larger flower arrangements that can later be used in reception as decorations.
this picture shows you how space can be filled with these chandeliers, except that they would need to be significantly bigger in size to fill in the space

2. Create special effects with spotlights. hire a light design company and they can place these lights arround the stage that when they are light up they create like a rays of light that would fill in the extra space - this would be more modern but would fit in theather setting.

hope this was helpful

Liene
Chic Weddings

come check out Chic Weddings page on Facebook for daily tips http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Astoria-NY/Chic-Weddings/172453981197

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

Congrats on your engagement :) I don't have any ideas for your wedding but I must say that I LOVE the place where you will get married at. It looks so pretty and elegant!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:31 AM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

Congratulations! I absolutely love theaters and had dreamed of having a wedding in one...alas, that did not work out. :) How much room is there on the stage between the main curtain and the lip? Is there a possibility that you could do the wedding with the curtain closed? It was hard for me to tell from the picture. It didn't look like much, but photos sure can be deceiving!

Also, if that's not a possibility, are there other curtains? You could close off one of the curtains to shut off some of the depth of the stage, which I think would help prevent the WP from looking like itty bitty people!

As far as decorations for the stage, what other decorations are you thinking of having overall? Will you be using floral arrangements? You could create a focal point on the stage with the floral arrangements. I would suggest, though, not going overboard with decor (or trying to fill up all the space) because it may cause people to get too wrapped up in the decorations and not your beautiful wedding!

Good luck! If I think of anything else, I'll be back!

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3

wedding website

joannadisaster Posts : 3 Registered: 11/6/09
Posted: Nov 6, 2009 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

There is actually quite a bit of space in between the curtain and the lip. The photo is all that was available on the website, so I had to use what I could get my hands on. Hopefully soon I will be able to take another tour of the theater and get some better pictures. There are several curtains at different depths throughout the stage, but instead of dropping from the top to the floor, they slide from side to side and meet in the middle. Only the front curtain is that burgundy velvet. All the rest are black, and as my WP is going to be wearing black, I am hesitant to use those. Our color palette includes black, ivory, pewter, burgundy and teal. our main decoraction will be floral arrangements, especially since the theater itself is so beautiful. I am hesitant to use anything that will take away from that.

To a PP, included in the rental fee are light and sound technicians. once the date gets closer, we are supposed to have several meetings with them to talk over lighting. I love the idea of the spotlights. I also LOVE the idea of the chandeliers, but I am not sure it will fit into our budget.

Thanks everyone! I love the ideas so far :)
save the date

lesasue86 Posts : 75 Registered: 9/8/09
Posted: Nov 11, 2009 6:42 AM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

Wow, the theater is beautiful, i think you are having a lavish wedding.
pearl jewelry store

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 10:10 PM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

Congratulations on your engagement, JoAnna! I LOVE your vintage venue. Great choice!

My suggestions for how to make your stage seem less vast are similar to what other people have already said, but I’ll say them anyway!

First, you should be able to make most of the empty stage vanish just by using the theater’s lighting (i.e., a spotlight) to focus on the center of the stage and leave the rest of the stage dark. That way you’ll be the center of attention and not look like an “ant!”

You might also want to share the stage with your musicians. For example, have them seated in one corner, in the background, and either have a less bright spotlight on them or occasionally spotlight them, when they’re playing. Having them be on the stage would also help to fill the space.

Also, you should be able to keep the attention on you and Jake and your officiant by setting up a few floral “props” that would form a visual “aisle” and lead everybody’s eyes to you. Put lower flower arrangements down near the edge of the stage, put taller ones closer to you and Jake, and, lastly, have an archway of flowers that you, Jake, and your officiant can stand under.

Use vintage looking flower arrangements for all of this. I have an amateur, vintage wedding website, called www.weddingspinster.com and you can see examples of the kind of flower arrangements and flower baskets that I’m talking about, there. Here are some of the website pages that might be helpful to you.

On my “LOOKING BACK” page:

“1920s Home Decorating” – This page shows the kind vintage flower basket that I’m picturing for the “low” arrangements. You can still buy these baskets at swap meets.

“Same Church and Flowers” – This page shows two examples of tall wicker baskets and the long-stemmed flower arrangements that were commonly used at weddings, in the past. Even now, you should be able to rent baskets like these. If not, they still pop up at swap meets and aren’t usually too pricey.

“Flowers, Flowers, Flowers” – In the background, you can see potted palms. You might want to use something like that near your musicians. I’ve seen inexpensive palms like these for sale at Lowe’s.

As for the archway that I mentioned, I suggested that because I’ve just bought a 1920s wedding photo from a wedding that was held in someone’s living room. The bride is sitting underneath an archway that’s thick with leaves and roses. (There’s also a big tulle bow at the top of the arch.) So, I can assure you, floral archways really were used in actual, vintage weddings!

And if you want to see some 1920s bridal bouquets, go to my website’s ZEROING IN page and click on “1920s Weddings.”

Additionally, I know you don’t want to get too “theme-y” with your wedding, but as long as you’re going to be in such a great setting, I wanted to mention a couple of other ideas:
1. If you provide your guests with wedding programs, why not make yours look like a vintage theatrical program?
2. In old movies, whenever there’s going to be a scene where someone performs onstage, they usually include a shot of a poster that’s set up outside of the theater, announcing that person’s performance. You could do something like that -- create a poster to set up on an easel in the theater’s lobby, saying something like “For One Night Only! JoAnna Lastname and Jake Lastname Starring in “An Old-Fashioned Love Story!” (Or whatever!)

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Have a wonderful wedding!

www.weddingspinster.com

weddingspinster Posts : 20 Registered: 3/12/09
Posted: Nov 25, 2009 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: joannadisaster

I thought of another idea – one that’s a little more unusual – and I just had to come back on and mention it to you. (I think I’m going to post it on my website, too, when I have time!)

At a swap meet, recently, I found a 1929 ad, with an illustration of a then-modern living room that had been decorated with the company’s furniture.

And I thought, hmm. Since you’ll be on a stage – a place where people are used to seeing and accepting a bit of fantasy – you could create your onstage wedding scene by setting up an imaginary living room.

Rent or borrow vintage furniture.

Arrange it like a living room, but leave a gap in the middle to serve as an aisle (and to allow your guests to see you). For example, put a sofa and an end table on the left, and a couple of chairs with an end table between them, and maybe a vintage floor lamp, on the right. Then have your bridesmaids and groomsmen sit on and stand near the furniture, like they’ve gathered at a house to watch you get married.

You could still put low baskets of flowers down in front (at the end of each section of furniture), and tall baskets and a flower arch near where you’ll be. And you could even put vases of flowers on the end tables, the way you would in a real house.

It would take up more space on the stage, fit in with the setting, and would also be memorable for your guests. Of course, what it WOULDN’T be is “traditional,” if that’s what you prefer. Anyway, just thought I’d throw it out there!

www.weddingspinster.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine