Centerpieces

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Centerpieces
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 2:19 PM

I'm trying to come up with centerpiece ideas for my reception. I'd prefer not to do traditional flowers for a couple reasons: first being they're expensive, second I'd really just like something different. My thought right now is that I'd like to have a cake as the centerpiece at each table. I have a huge family (I have three brothers and a sister, my mom has seven sisters and four brothers, and my dad has three sisters and three brothers), so my thought is that I'd ask the married women in my family, aunts, grandmas, my great-grandma, etc. to borrow cake stands and then tie a ribbon around each one with a little tag that has their name and wedding date on it. So, I guess I have two things I'd like an opinion on. Do you think it's tacky to borrow cake stands from relatives, or to forego flowers as centerpieces? And my other, slightly silly, concern was one my FH pointed out, will it look funny halfway through the reception, when the cake has been eaten, to have centerpieces that are partially eaten cakes on stands? Opinions?

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Centerpieces
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 7:45 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

I have several pictures of cake centerpieces. I'd be happy to send them to you--just contact me through my website. You also could do cupcakes (eliminates the half-eaten cake look). If your wedding is informal and kind of "shabby chic," borrowing assorted cake stands would work. Another idea is to haunt flea markets and yard sales and see what you can find. If you want a more formal, coordinated look, then check into renting identical cake stands. One person that I know had cake centerpieces. She and her husband went around and did the first cut on each cake, rather than the traditional cake-cutting of a big wedding cake. You also could have the wait staff remove the stands after dessert--by that time, most people won't care about centerpieces.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 13, 2009 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

I really really like the idea of having a cake or (as myra suggested) cupcakes as your centerpiece. It is different than most traditional centerpieces, and it's fun! I say go for it!

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

WonderfulDay1102 Posts : 18 Registered: 10/13/09
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 10:17 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

I like the cake/cupcake idea, but if you are looking for other alternatives, you do have them. I love this one for events I've done. It gets great reviews and if you rented the vase for around $8 you could have the centerpiece for around $15. But then you would have to buy a regular wedding cake. That is why I like the cake/cupcake idea. Best of luck to you!

Suspended Rose

zoe1983 Posts : 115 Registered: 4/8/09
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 11:19 PM Go to message in response to: WonderfulDay1102

Not sure if this is your style but this is what we are using for our centerpieces and it is about 7 or 8 dollars a table...we are using pink gerber daises instead of the cala lilies but you can really use any flower! Plus we are only using two fishbowls because I think the third one seems like too much and it seems too high but you could always add the third if you want to!!

http://www.partysparkle.co.uk/ekmps/shops/partysparkle/resources/Image/Fish%20bowl%20with%20calla%20Lillys.jpg

FutureMrsBentley Posts : 14 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 6:06 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

Zoe, where did you find the fish bowls? Your centrepiece inspiration is beautiful but I don't know how to keep the price that low and buy 2/3 fishbowls per table.

Thanks

Chris

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsBentley

Im not sure what stores you have in Canada but we have a store around here called A.C. Moore. Its like a Michaels if you know what that is. Its a craft store and they sell different sized glass bowls and vases. They sell the fishbowls for $1.99 each and they are always sending out 50% off coupons so we have been picking up one at a time for about a dollar each! I did notice that the real fishbowls at other stores are a lot more expensive! If you don't have an A.C. Moore I wonder if you could go to their website and order them that way. Not sure? Hope this helps a bit!

oh one other thing I forgot....we are just doing two fishbowls of equal size for each table. Our venue is pretty small so I thought the larger fishbowls were overwhelming. I am not sure if you could find the bigger fishbowls that cheap!

Edited by: zoe1983 on Oct 28, 2009 7:52 PM

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:57 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

Wow! Those are really cool, and I think they'll look fun with the daisies! I've been thinking about what I want, and I really didn't want to do cupcakes, but I like the idea that you could pick them up and the centerpiece wouldn't be full of cake mess, so what I think I'm going to do is have petit fours instead. They're small and individual and still cake, without being messy or cupcakes. Plus I think they can look really classy.
Here's what I'm thinking (only not quite as pastel and baby-themed)-

Dashuria Posts : 19 Registered: 7/27/09
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 11:31 AM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Oh I like that fishbowl idea! We are having a lot of daisies at our wedding...so maybe sprinkle some inside and I'm thinking of putting a tealight in the top bowl, or a medium tall candle. :-)

Just wondering how you got the bowls to stay stacked? (i'm envisioning a guest bumping the table!) Would hot glue work do you think?

Thanks for the ideas!

Dashuria

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 1:19 PM Go to message in response to: Dashuria

I think hot glue would probably do the trick, but I don't really know for sure. You'd probably just have to get a couple and experiment with it a bit. I think it would look gorgeous with a candle in the top one! What a great idea!

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 10:08 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

we are still trying to figure that part out! lol We were thinking of going the hot glue route too! Or maybe even crazy glue?

ColleenKaliSoul... Posts : 1 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 3:21 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

You can use "glue dots." You can get them at any of the craft stores, Michael's, Hobby Lobby. They work great.

Bridetobeshanac Posts : 11 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 3:48 AM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Well I definitely understand your dilemma. My colors are apple red, gold and ivory. What I am doing for centerpieces are short square vases filled with red apples, clear marlbles and ivory candles. Then tying a gold ribbon into a bow on each one. My sister and I did a sample one and really liked it. The total cost for the sample was about 12 dollars. I haope that helps !!
Shana

JayKayinlove Posts : 33 Registered: 1/22/09
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 5:21 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

hey you said you wanted to do cakes as centerpieces which i've seen and is nice. i just saw these cheap and nice cake pedeststals @{color:Black}{font:Trebuchet ms}{size:3} {color}{size}{font}http://estore.websitepros.com/1926304/Detail.bok?no=344 and i thought they'd be helpful

ps

http://weddings.theknot.com/Real-Weddings/59164/detailview.aspx?STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&id=59164&type=3&wedding+details=Cake&Sort=KnotPicks&ODBTHEMENAME=Real-Weddings

Edited by: JayKayinlove on Dec 7, 2009 11:04 PM

firefightersbri... Posts : 49 Registered: 7/7/08
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 11:43 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

I really like the petit fours idea. I think it looks so yummy and it's not that common a centerpiece yet. I like the idea of having a ribbon - maybe have a bow in your colors to match to decorate the stand even after it's gone? Are you going to have a different design of petit fours for each table, for each person, or just have the same for everyone? What about flavors? Sorry for all the questions - I just really like the idea.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine