Christmas Present for Under $15

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Christmas Present for Under $15
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:09 PM

So FH & I have decided that since our finances aren't so hot and we don't really desire any specific expensive item at the moment--that we are going to try and be creative and we can only spend $15 max on our presents to each other.

I'm bad at buying present NOT on a budget let alone on such a small budget.

Any of you creative ladies have some good ideas out there? I don't want it to be overly generic. I don't want to just like buy a $12 photo frame and stick a picture of us in it.

I got a picture of us turned into a puzzle once--that was kind of cute--then again i think it cost me like $25 which is over budget for this Christmas.

Anyways, if you have some unique, creative and frugal ideas--hit me up! I would really, really appreciate it!

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: Christmas Present for Under $15
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Something you can do if you save stuff like I do is make a scrap book. The scrap books themselves can be inexpensive as long as you don't buy anything elaborate. The one I linked is only $1o. You can also check places like Amazon.

http://www.target.com/Deco-Scrapbook-Black-White-12x12/dp/B000LO5Y7Y/sr=1-10/qid=1257276365/ref=sr_1_10/176-4877236-5798814?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Ascrapbook&page=1

I took photos of DH and I at concerts and made pages with tickets from the arena, stuff we had saved from vacations we had been on or cool places we visited. The great part about it is that as we have new experiences, we can add to the scrap book. The only costs are glue, the book and some stickers.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Maybe you can cook him his favorite meal and dessert, then rent a movie of his choice? I really like the scrapbook idea too!

What is your fiance into, what does he like to do? I'm sure you can always find some sort of trinket or something that reminds you of him that you'll think he'll like. Last year we found my dad a Snoopy coffee mug in Target's dollar section, my dad loves snoopy and drinks coffee every morning so it was perfect, and only a buck!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Just like the pp suggested, I think the cooking his favorite meal will be a great idea. Maybe you both can cook it together so it can be fun! Maybe also bake some Christmas cookies :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Girl, we've all been there before. For my boyfriend's birthday a couple years ago I wanted something creative & different from the usual gifts that I've given him in the past. My boyfriend is a huge Gaints fan so I asked my parents (in NJ) to save all of the sports pages a couple weeks before the superbowl. I drove up for a weekend to spend time with them & picked up the newspapers. Once back home in VirginiaBeach, I went to AC Moores & bought two black picture frames (in different sizes), football stickers & glue. The next couple of days I spent my time cutting articles & pictures of the team winning the superbowl. And done! He loved it! The frames hang in our living room & look really nice. I was surprised at how great they turned out.
Goodluck with your Christmas present- I'm sure he'll appreciate whatever you give him!

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 3:50 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Under normal circumstances I would say that cooking a meal would be a great idea--however I am a cook and I cook him his favourite meal fairly often (enough so that he doesn't get sick of it!) and am constantly cooking him things he hasn't tried before (ex: he had never had homemade mac and cheese so i made it for him this weekend.)

Since I do it as a nice gesture on a regular basis--it isn't really 'present' appropriate to me.

We also experiment with cooking together regularly. I'm always teaching him new things in the kitchen.

I do think it's a great idea for other's though.

The scrapbook may be an option--I'm not very arts and crafty--but it is a cute idea--and one of my friends is a scrapbooking machine.

Thanks everybody so far!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 4:30 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Dear BTS,

Board Games!

My children and I love playing board games together. (Husband doesn't - but he's a grouch.)

My niece really revved things up when the boys were little by making up new rules when they played board games. She made them stand on their head if they spin a "6", etc. That's one of the reason my sons really enjoyed their cousin. She was the "older woman", by 2 years, who was always thinking of ways to make things fun.

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

He does love board games.

In fact, he is always trying to get me to play board games that are at his cottage--but his family has a lot of creative oriented games like Cranium and such which I'm not crazy about. Not a big charades girl...

However we are crazy about Pictionary--his entire family is. But they own that.
And Battleship...already owned.

Getting a board game that I think both of us would like is actually a really great idea.

Any good suggestions for some board games?

karebeartg Posts : 831 Registered: 6/25/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Do you want one just for the two of you or to play in groups? DH is really into board games (seriously, we have a whole cabinet of ones I've never heard of before him), so if I give him some parameters, I'm sure he can come up with something.

Just the two of you or in a group? What sort of board-game ish activities does he like? (For example, does he like trivia? Guessing what other people are thinking? Rolling the dice aka some randomness?)

I'm hoping I can tease out a new board game to get him this year by getting him to hunt down some for you!

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: karebeartg

Ooo I love this.

Hmmm okay some parameters:

Well I definitely want to be able to play it in a group. I love getting him presents that his family can appreciate aswell. Planet Earth/Blue Planet combo=major brownie points for me last year. If it's possible just to play with two that would be an added bonus.

Definitely a game that involves some skill. We're not into games like Sorry, Life or Trouble where there is a real lack of strategy. Some luck involved is fine.

However, I have to say that I do get easily embarassed and I am not into performance games like Charades--so games like Cranium are not the games for me. I am not super comfortable with his family--so...yea...games like that are awkward for me...and very unenjoyable.

Some games that we play: Pictionary, Stratego, Monopoly, Scrabble, Telepath

He also plays games like Risk--but the ladies are never involved in that. That's just the men in the family.

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:28 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

What about card and dice games? I grew up playing cards with my family and extended family alllllll the time, and FH barely knew how to play War when we first started dating! Anyway, there are TONS of games played with dice and cards for just the two of you to play, or for multiple people! Have you ever played cribbage? If you want skill, that's a GREAT game for two or three people - FH and I play quite often. In addition, you can get a cribbage board for really cheap - 5 dollars maybe? Another great game we play is Scrabble - so much fun for two or more people! ...but i think a game runs fro around 12-15 dollars or so.

If it were me and I wanted a bang for my buck... I would get him a set of dice, a book with some fun card games (I bet you could find one for under $5 on half.com), and a cribbage board - most cribbage boards come with a deck of cards, too.

Good luck! :)

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. 

~Dr. Seuss

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

I have two game suggestions:

Cluzzle, which I found on Amazon for under $15 (though if you count shipping it will put you over budget). I think you need 3 or more people to play:
http://www.amazon.com/North-Star-Games-1009-Cluzzle/dp/B00065AQ1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1257287048&sr=1-1

It's not performance oriented. You each build a little clay sculpture based on a word or idea you're given and then you have to try to guess what each other's sculpture is. A little like Charades except you're not up in front of a group. The longer it takes people to guess what your sculpture is, the more points you get. You also get points for a successful guess.

OK, I'm sorry, I have to recommend this one even if it's over budget: Qwirkle. Two or more can play. It's a lot like Scrabble except with shapes and colors. We've gotten a lot of use out of ours. And I'm a little biased because a friend of a friend designed it. It's at this URL for $24.95:

http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTORE/ProductSearch/Default.aspx?&Keyword=qwirkle

Maybe you can try finding it used on Amazon for less?

preview image

Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

Hello ladies!

I found a great looking game in my research--but it's actually probably something I would want to buy for the family rather than directly for FH.

I'm wondering if maybe I should buy a board game for the fam and then something else for the FH--or maybe even another boardgame for him.

Anyways the game that I think would be perfect for the family is called Buzzword. It looks pretty fun. Has anybody ever played it before? They really like "party games."

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Love the board games idea, and honestly, I use to play those with the kids (we couldn't afford eating out or movies, etc) all the time!! We had 3 cupboards full of them. Some got worn out. Jenga was fun too. You build a tower kind of thing. Anyway, I think you're on the right track. I don't think I've played buzzword, but I like that sort of game and if you do too you would probably be fine with it, for the family or for him.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

Buzzword is good. The Last Word (I think it is) by Buffalo Games (not by Milton Bradley) I've heard is really good. I like Taboo too if that is the type of game you like.

A lot of the Scene It games are a lot of fun - Movie Scene It, Music Scene It, etc. They might be over budget, but good ones to keep in mind.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine