Shoul I rent or buy my wedding dress?

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

lianetdiaz Posts : 7 Registered: 11/2/09
Shoul I rent or buy my wedding dress?
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 12:22 PM

I found a Maggie Sottero wedding dress that I absolutely love. My mother in law loves it as well. I was wondering if it it worth to buy a wedding dress since you only will wear it for a couple of hours.
My fiance tells me that I should get whatever I like but, I don't know what to do. I have an appoitment to try it on next week.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Re: Shoul I rent or buy my wedding dress?
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 1:48 PM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

It really depends on the kind of person you are. Are you sentimental and do you get attached to objects easily because of what they mean to you? Do you dream one day of your daughter maybe wearing your wedding dress or maybe using part of it to make your baby's christening gown or something? If so, then buying makes sense.

If it's not important to you to have the dress hanging in your closet after your wedding day, then rent. At least you'll have had something beautiful to wear the day of.

If it were me in your place, I probably would've looked at dresses to both buy or rent, narrowed it down to the ones I loved, then make the final choice at least in part based on price. But I'm not terribly sentimental about stuff like that. I had actually made an appointment to go try on rental dresses, but in the meantime I found a dress at a reasonable price to purchase that I just loved, so I didn't go any further down the rental road. Would I have regretted not buying my dress? Maybe, but that's because I fell in love with that particular dress. But at the moment, it's just hanging in my closet a year and a half after my wedding and I have NO idea what I plan to do with it in the future!

preview image

lianetdiaz Posts : 7 Registered: 11/2/09
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: HappyGirl13

I got your idea. I'm not that sentimental, but I went crazy as soon as I saw that dress and that is the one I want. I was hopping to find a similar design to rent it, but I called a couple of places and they told me that usually nobody will rent that style. So I guess that I will keep looking for some others and see what happens.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Nov 3, 2009 5:36 PM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

I couldn't tell from your post if you've actually tried on the dress. If you haven't, I do recommend trying on the Maggie Sottero to make sure it's on your list to purchase if you go that route. You might fall in love with something online, then try it on and realize you don't love it the way you thought you would.

I also recommend keeping an open mind and going and trying on a bunch of dresses at a rental place and bridal shops even if you are still positive you want the Maggie Sottero. You may find something you love even more.

preview image

Will825 Posts : 9 Registered: 9/28/09
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 2:22 AM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 8:04 AM Go to message in response to: Will825

OP, ignore Idealweddings. She's a STUPID JOKE of a Vendor who just told another bride who was concerned about wrinkles that she ought to just BUY A NEW DRESS. Clearly, she's not a REPUTABLE vendor from whom you ought to buy a dress.

Misty

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

That's a great cure for wrinkles, I'm surprised no one has ever thought of that before!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Personally, I love the fact that Idealweddings has changed the name to byron001 and deleted the post. Like I won't keep track of that user.

SILLY VENDOR, Brides.com is for BRIDES (and those who have been there)

Misty

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I think it's because they got reported to the mods so much.

LisaGLovesSun Posts : 4 Registered: 10/30/09
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 1:55 AM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

what about buying a used wedding dress? also, you can buy a new one and then just put it up for sale later.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: LisaGLovesSun

The immediate PP had a good idea - try www.bravobride.com

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

Save up to 22% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $218.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/ball-gown-strapless-ruffles-organza-wedding-dress-style-giselle-p-33756.html

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 8:01 PM Go to message in response to: lianetdiaz

Maggie Sottero Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD.
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/designer-bridal-collections-maggie-sottero-c-420_467.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine