Modest wedding dresses

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

CalGal48 Posts : 2 Registered: 10/30/09
Modest wedding dresses
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 8:30 PM

I am having a very difficult time finding modest wedding dresses. All the ones I see in the magazines are strapless or sleeveless. I don't wear either kind. Why don't these designer's create some modest gowns for the population that prefers modest clothing to wear. I am hoping there are brides-to-be in the San Diego area who are LDS and know of bridal stores that may have some modest gowns in their stock. I am getting married in Jan in the Bahamas, so I am looking for a gown that will be lightweight yet modest.
How do I love thee, let me count the ways

Edited by: CalGal48 on Oct 30, 2009 8:31 PM

SHC2010 Posts : 14 Registered: 7/29/09
Re: Modest wedding dresses
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

Check out this website for LDS brides: www.latterdaybride.com

Their store is in Utah, but you can order off their website.

They have bridesmaids dresses, accessories and other tools to use in planning. If you can't find something you like that's modest enough you might be able to add something to a less modest dress depending on the style or you could wear a cute little cropped jacket over it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

AJLM Posts : 49 Registered: 11/18/08
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

I would suggest calling around to some local stores and ask if they have temple ready dresses. Bonny (2917 and 2911 are some I've seen) and Venus (TB7510) have styles that may work and are in lighter weight fabrics. Finding styles that work won't be horribly difficult, but finding them in light weight fabrics may be your challenge. Good luck!

aModestSolution Posts : 1 Registered: 10/31/09
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

Here's a suggestion, our new daughter-in-law found a lovely, simple dress for her wedding at the Salt Lake Temple from JCrew bridal online. I am a fashion designer and will be doing only modest dresses in my business, I'm still coordinating supply and manufacturing details, so will open online in 2010...probably after your wedding. Best wishes in your search.

Andrea

www.LegacyDesignStudioUSA

"Love is Forever"

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 6:13 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

I understand that you are LDS, but as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but if a traditional jewish woman gets married in temple, they also need to be covered - no straps or strapless.

Have you gone to stores and looked? Or are you just talking about what's in magazines?

Here's a website with more links for modest wedding dresses:

http://www.modestclothes.com/modest-formal-dresses.html

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Oct 31, 2009 6:16 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

I just googled modest wedding dresses and I found two really nice websites. One is www.totallymodest.com and they have a variety of dresses ranging from just simple white dresses to dresses with beading, lace, and color accents. The other website bridal-expressions.com looks like they have a lot of nice dresses also. The only one dress I found that a store might have would be the Pricilla of Boston's Vinyard collection Jules dress which might be more pricey then the dresses found on the other websites. Good luck finding your dress and hopefully this helps!

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

A lot of bridal salons will add cap sleeves, or even longer sleeves to a gown. Many will even add a "modesty panel" to lower cut dresses to make the neckline less revealing. I would shop around and just ask. The worst they can say is no.

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 11:42 AM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

Allure, the company my dress is from, has an entire line of modest dresses. I've seen others on sites while looking for BM dresses, too, I just can't remember specifically where.

http://www.allurebridals.com/allure-modest-gallery.html

Caitlin & Michael ~ 9/19/08-forever <3

wedding website

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 2:23 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

JB that is a great website- There are so many beautiful dresses in such different styles! I saved the website in my favorites for future use =)

abbey315 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/28/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 8:48 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

Abigail Wright Designs is another site with all modest wedding dresses:

www.abigailwrightdesigns.com

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

You can try downtown Chula Vista on 3rd ave. They do a lot of custom work there. Call Preview in Grossmont Center. They have a large selection of bridal gowns. Tell them what you are looking for.

Starqueg Posts : 17 Registered: 10/30/09
Posted: Dec 2, 2009 1:01 AM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

I'm in the same position, just in NYC. I'm Jewish, and while I don't plan on getting married in synagogue, I still plan on being fairly covered. Very traditional Jews cover from elbow to collarbone to the knee or ankle. I'm not that traditional. My big thing is that I want to cover my tattoos which are on my chest, both arms (above the elbow) and basically my entire back. I love lace gowns and am hoping to find one that fits all my criteria, without spending a fortune. I've searched online and found a few dresses that I like, but my wedding is at least 3 years away (waiting for my bf to finish law school), so I know that a lot of what I like now won't be around when I'm seriously planning. Thankfully, I know there are a lot of places here I can go in NYC.

Good luck with your search.

Rachel

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: CalGal48

Black Strapless Sweetheart Layered Drape Hi-low Prom Dress With Beads
Save up to 31% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $178.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/black-strapless-sweetheart-layered-drape-hilow-prom-dress-with-beads-p-32379.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine