Another home page photo gripe

Online Users: 1,345 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Another home page photo gripe
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 12:27 AM

Ladies,

I try to be charitible about the photos on the home page. Just because something isn't to my taste is no reason to totally dis it.

I've been resisting comment on the photo of the model wearing a strapless gown and a short veil over her face.

OK, maybe I'm wrong but in my opinion the purpose of the veil on a bride is to protect her modesty. She's walking down the aisle (NOT ISLE), could be crying or otherwise emoting. Does she want the world to see her in such an emotional state? No - thus she covers her face with a veil.

Second tradition, and this was the reason I did not wear a veil over my own face, is that the groom lifting the veil to kiss the bride once they are officially "man and wife" symbolized the later deflowering of the virginal blushing bride. (Yech.)

Keeping both these so-called purposes for the veil, both relating to bridal modesty and virginal innocence, wouldn't one think it stupid to cover the face with a veil when the entire upper part of the body, shoulders, arms, parts of boobs, are exposed to one and all? One would think a woman prepared to wear a bare-it-all gown would not be all that upset for her face to be seen in public.

The photo just seems like a contradiction to me. A bride with a veil over the face should wear a more modest gown. A bride in a strapless gown would have no need for a veil over the face.

Anyone out there have comments?

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Re: Another home page photo gripe
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 12:41 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I agree that the ideologies that you stated was the original purpose for the veil.

However, now it is apart of the fashion industry and popular culture.

A lot of things don't serve purposes that they once did--they are only their for aesthetic purposes.

Ex: Belts used to be just for holding your pants up. Now a days ladies wrap belts around dresses, skirts, etc. where they are not serving their original purpose--purely there for aesthetic purposes.

Do you honestly think that all the brides that purchase veils now buy them to conceal their emotions or as an unveiling of bridal virginity? No. A lot buy them because it is a part of the image of a bride now and some see it as fashionably stylish.

Aesthetics is everything at a wedding these days. And what is aesthetically pleasing is decided upon by the fashion industry in a lot of cases.

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Oct 26, 2009 12:56 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I see your point but I think it's all in keeping tradition in the apparel as well as what the current styles are. Back when most brides probably were virgins, and the whole veil tradition fitted most brides, strapless wasn't an option. It was a different era with different attire. I don't think of strapless as provacative either. I know that it can be, and is innappropriate for certain places, but I think of it as just another sleeve option for a top or dress.

I also wanted to add, that if brides should only wear veils if they are trying to cover there modesty, should only virgin brides wear white dresses then?

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 3:54 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

women wear veils for all sorts of reasons. while i do not want to wear a veil, i have to wear one because i am having an Jewish Orthodox ceremony (so in this case it is a religiously imposed modesty issue, i also must have my shoulders covered under the chuppah). Before the actual wedding ceremony, in a seperate room, there is the bedecken ceremony. my fiance is more religious than i am, so i am not good at explaining exactly what that is, i have googled it for you, here is Wikipedia's definition...

Badeken, Bedeken, Badekenish, or Bedekung (Yiddish: באַדעקן badekn, lit. covering), is the ceremony where the groom veils the bride in an Orthodox Jewish wedding.

Just prior the actual wedding ceremony, which takes place under the Chuppah,
the bridegroom, accompanied by his parents, the Rabbi, and other
dignitaries, and amidst joyous singing of his friends, covers the
bride's face with a veil. The bride wears this veil until the
conclusion of the chuppah ceremony.[1]

i am, however, taking the veil and the shawl off for my reception and am wearing a strapless dress.

i have to say that i have never heard of anyone wearing a veil so that no one will see their emotions. i think that the veil has become much more of a fashion statement than anything else (most of the veils i've seen don't even cover the face). some people wear a veil, some put a flower in their hair. some want a veil because they think that when they are a bride it's the only acceptable time to wear it so they are going all out with bridal "tradition". i was at a wedding where the bride had a veil with a huge train following 20 feet behind her and after the first dance, she put on a short, flouncy veil. i thought she looked silly, but hey, her wedding, her choice.

i'm not a fan of the short, birdcage veil personally. but if that's what you want, go for it. it is my opinion that people who wear those veils are not doing so for the modesty aspect as much as the fashion aspect.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

Renee86 Posts : 159 Registered: 5/30/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 1:13 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

It's really an individual thing.

I'm wearing a veil but not for any
traditional reasons as they either don't apply to me or I don't like
them. I consider the veil to be an accessory so I don't see an issue
with it.

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

http://reneenphillip.weebly.com

Posted: Oct 30, 2009 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Ladies,

Thanks for the reality check. I guess I'm over-thinking it.

Still look stupid to me, but I'll keep my opinion to myself should I see a bride in real life dressed like that.

LAcat88 Posts : 39 Registered: 9/15/07
Posted: Nov 13, 2009 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Wedding dresses haven't always been white. Queen Victoria started the trend by wearing a "simple white dress with an orange blossom wreath in her hair" http://costume.osu.edu/exhibitions/wedding/

Dresses before then were often just a new dress that was in fashion because all clothing was made by hand. The bride could not simply get a new dress and then only wear it once.

Also veils have not always symbolized virginity. Especially if you take in to account other cultural beliefs. Veils have symbolized everything from protection from demonic forces to "hiding the goods" so a husband couldn't back out on a marraige deal because his betrothed was ugly.

Today circumstances have changed but tradition often pursists. For example, sometimes a couple or individual has already established a household but gifts are still given to help furnish the newlyweds' home.

Posted: Nov 13, 2009 6:15 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Ladies,

Well the new group of photos on the home page are the typical PMS-Bride poses. "Get out of my way, scum, I am the bride."

I don't understand why models wearing wedding dresses can't be bothered to smile!!! Real brides are beaming with happiness in their wedding dresses. Models in wedding dresses look like they suffer from hemmorhoids.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Nov 14, 2009 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

I thought something very similar to this when I saw the new photos. Why grouchy brides? Someone pee in their punch?

Is it just me or do the models get uglier and uglier anyway?
My Planning Blog

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine