TOO young or not?

Online Users: 1,306 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

KOOKIE Posts : 1 Registered: 10/25/09
TOO young or not?
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 9:20 PM

Hi my name is shervonda. Im sixteen years old. My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years. He proposed this year and i said yes none of my friends except my bestie and his bff too. We plan on getting married after we both finish college. We both plan on attending Florida University. He wants to become a pro football and is very determined and i want to be a heart surgeon. So does anyone think there's anything wrong with that? We love each other dearly and i couldnt see myself with any but him and vice versa. But we have talked about what if we wernt but were too determined to let that happen so i highly doubt it.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Re: TOO young or not?
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

I say go for it. You have a life plan in place and I think you should follow it. Good luck.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

He wants to become a pro football? Wow, that will be kinda hard. I've never heard of a person becoming a piece of sporting equipment.

But seriously, you know how faithful and moral those NFL players are...so go for it, girl! You will be married to a millionaire.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:22 AM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulder! If you plan on getting married after college then great! Just because you get engaged at 16 doesn't mean you have to get married straight after high school. I think you are too young to get married but not too young to be engaged as long as you live life first after high school. Just don't have any silly themes for your wedding that will make you look immature LOL, but you sound mature. Good luck.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

Let's be honest--you are not engaged.

Being 16 and in love and saying you want to get married in like...10 years...is not being engaged.

It's totally a natural thing to feel at a young age. It's not wrong to have those feelings. Just be aware that they probably will change over the years. These big plans you guys might be dreaming of may not turn into reality.

But all the power to you--hope your dreams become a reality kid.

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: BrighterThanSun...

What is with all of these children getting "engaged"? While I will grant that you seem relatively more stable than your Twilight obsessed/potential troll predecessor, the fact remains that you are a child. Why be in such a rush to grow up? If you are not planning on getting married until after college then why call yourselves engaged? What if you two do not end up going to the same school? Maybe you two should stick with being each others prom dates for now and wait on the whole engagement.

wedding tickers

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: starfish701

I want to become a basketball.

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

When I was in kindergarten I told my teacher I wanted to be a fire truck.

wedding tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

Cool. It's good to have a life plan, but understand that things may not go the way you expect them to.

When I was 16, I intended to marry my then-boyfriend when I was 23 (I don't know why I picked that age), I was going to go to Brown, and I was going to major in psych. I think I had a vague plan to do some sort of social work or maybe go to med school.

At 29, I am a curator at an art museum. I spent my 20s getting an advanced degree, not getting married at 23. I didn't go to Brown because it ended up being too expensive. And the boyfriend I thought I was going to marry? Haven't talked to him in ten years.

When my husband was 16, he thought he was going to be a professional hockey player. Then he developed a degenerative eye condition that destroyed his game. At 21, he had plans to become a cop, but then the eye condition got worse and he couldn't pass the vision requirements. At 30, he is a government contractor. He also didn't expect to get his college degree at 26, but that's what happened when he needed to do a complete overhaul on his career plans.

It's great to have a plan, but they don't always work out. I hope that you're successful in your education and career plans. If your boyfriend is truly the one for you, it will work out and you will grow in ways that compliment one another as you mature. If not, then there's someone better in store for you someday.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 3:33 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

I totally agree with everyone. You're young and you're going to change A LOT over the next few years. But you have a plan and it seems as though you're allowing yourself time to figure those changes out. It could work you never know. I'm sure we all know of a couple our grandparents age that got married in their teens and are still happily married today. However, I know that for myself, the boyfriend I had at sixteen is someone I wouldn't even look twice at today. (Not saying much for my taste back then, but you get the idea). :)

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: SoontobeMrsGlover

What is with all these thread and "women" asking if they are too young? If they are asking, doesn't that already answer the question? Also, have they ever taken an english class? I think we should start a new thread called, "Am I too old?"

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

BAZB- I agree! There are an excess of ridiculous threads on this forum.

Renee86 Posts : 159 Registered: 5/30/08
Posted: Oct 30, 2009 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

The kids really need to go away.

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

http://reneenphillip.weebly.com

jamiethebride Posts : 3 Registered: 11/10/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: KOOKIE

Do you want to experience more before settling down? Marriage might tie you down, especailly at such a young age. If your not into that whole thing experiencing life stuff then fine, try marriage out. Are you sure this is real "love?" Puppy love and lust may fade with time.
Just be realistic about your decision and not dreaming in lala land.
I hate to say it but, worse comes to worse, theres always divorce.

Raelovely Posts : 2 Registered: 8/5/09
Posted: Nov 10, 2009 6:40 PM Go to message in response to: jamiethebride

go for it(: i'm 18 and getting married next year! i had a friend who got engaged at age 17 and they got married a couple months ago. who's to say it won't work out? i sure hope it does!! congrats!

-Joyal

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine