Honeymoon in France!

Online Users: 1,316 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Re: Honeymoon in France!
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 8:22 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

We get rid of our elderly and handicapped so its generally not a problem :P lol just kidding!

I never even noticed the utensil thing! I don't really even use a knife very often but even still, you switch it over to your right hand? I'm going to try that. I don't think I can eat with a fork in my right hand though!!

Bird,
Yeah we pay 20p to use the toilets here. Generally they are cleaner if you pay to use them.

Cat,
You said 'dead on'!!! Did you know thats a Northern Irish saying? Love it!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: Bally

Bally, I had no idea that "dead on" was Northern Irish slang. I read a lot and grew up all over the place. My vernacular is a 'mutt'.

Man....that is some SERIOUS inflation. 20p? seriously? in the 1980s it was 2p. We always joked that it was 2p for two to pee (because we did hold the door when done, and share. If a random stranger came in at the right time, we'd share with her too). Do they still have that godawful TP that says "property of government" and is just a step above wax paper?

Misty

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Dear Misty,

"I went to stores all over Paris, and I stumbled through my pathetic French. They'd answer me in English. Why? Because they respected that I didn't expect them to speak English and, probably, because they couldn't handle my awful accent any longer <G>. I had classmates who went into the same exact store, asked if they spoke English, and were told no. "

Exactly my experience.

I stumble through my mediocre French and people are really nice in return. Others speak loud English, only, and are snubbed.

It's just that way.

Posted: Oct 11, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: Bally

Dear Bally,

"but even still, you switch it over to your right hand?"

Yes.

It's very simple.

1. Fork in left hand to hold food, knife in right hand.

2. Cut off a piece of food.

3. Put knife down on plate.

4. Switch fork to right hand.

5. Stab morsel of food with fork in right hand.

6. Convey to mouth.

7. Chew, enjoy.

8. Move fork to left hand.

9. Pick up knife, and repeat.

Give it a try, sometime. It might work best if you are either incredibly sober or incredibly drunk!!!

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 6:38 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Cat, yes its def a norn iron slang term, although its usually 'aye right, dead on ballbag'..lol

Aunt, I will try that sometime! Probably drunk! lol

BriansAzBride Posts : 326 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: Bally

Wow I'm gone for a few days and look at all I missed!

1. Toilets, not restrooms.
2. Bring money to use the toilet or hold it
3. First floor = floor above the ground
4. Pathetic french is better than no french at all
5. Bread is my friend, bring it with me
6. If they point down that means the restroom(toilets) are downstairs
7. Eat fork with left hand instead of right

Did I miss anything else? Keep in mind this is a brief recount.

I feel like a kid. Pinch me. This kind of love certainly can't be real. Oh wait, it is :)

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 11:25 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

Dear BAB,

Excellent.

Now, let's continue with the Passport Lecture.

I'm assuming you and FH already have your passports. (If not, GET THEM NOW.)

You need to be very careful with your passports. If you lose your passport, you could potentially have a difficult and expensive issue on your hands.

If you lose your passport, you will have to go to the embassy or consulate and get a replacement. There are only a handful of these places, so you could have to travel if you are outside one of the large cities with American citizen services. Guess what, they are only open during the week. Lose your passport on a weekend? You have to wait until Monday. Flight leaves on Sunday? Tough.

Next, you have to prove who you are. You have to cough up greenback US dollar cash for the replacement. Tough to get, possibly, if you have no ID. You'll have to figure out how to get a regulation-sized photo, if the embassy or consulate does not have facilities on site.

Finally, you get to wait however many days it takes for them to confirm who you are and get the replacement ready. During that wait you are paying for hotels and meals.

Here is what I advise:

When you get your passport, put it through a color scanner and create a pdf file. Print out several copies of the pdf file. Put copies in all your luggage. Next, because I am a belt-and-suspender type person, upload the pdf file to online secure document storage. That means you can get to the pdf from any computer in the world hooked up to the internet. (Worse case scenario - you survive an airplane fire with only the clothes on your back. Your luggage and all possesssions burn up. You can get your passport copy off the internet.)

Going into the embassy with a photocopy of your lost passport is a great way to start on the replacement. They can get the passport number right off the photocopy and look up your photo in the database within seconds.

You must keep your passport secure while you are traveling. That means the passport is either on your person, under your clothing, or in a hotel safe. Many people get a security wallet for their passport and other valuables. That works great - but I just use my bra. I have a small wallet, so I stick that and my passport in my bra flat against my upper chest. No pickpocket in the world can get to my wallet or my passport when it's in my bra, covered with clothing. This would not work with a plunging "Wonderbra" or similar, but works great with a sports bra. They come up higher on the chest.

Ladies who find that uncomfortable, or impractical, need to get a waist security wallet. That's pretty much the only option available to men.

Before you leave, take a good look at your wallet and its contents. What can you leave at home? Do you think anyone will be interested in your library card? Your grocery store discount card? Take out everything that you don't need for the trip, and leave it on your desk or put it in an envelope. Then, consider getting a small wallet for travel. I know it's nice to have all your photos in your wallet, but if you get a small wallet you can tuck it in your bra or security wallet without creating too much bulk.

Pickpockets can be a real problem in tourist-frequented areas. "Sights" are pickpocket-magnets, simply because there are so many people there with passports and wallets full of cash. Sometimes you'll see a sign that says "Beware of Pickpockets". Pickpockets love those signs, because people pat their back pocket and show the pickpocket exactly where to go for their payday.

When I go out for a day's sightseeing, I put my passport and wallet in my bra, then put stuff I "can" lose in my purse or a small daypack. I would be annoyed if someone stole my reading glasses, sun glasses, camera, guide book, metro map, lip balm, etc, but that would not be a trip-killer. I usually put a small amount of cash ($10 equiv.) in either a pocket or in my purse for incidental expenses.

What's really great about taking all these sensible precautions is that it frees my mind to better enjoy my trip! I don't go around Notre Dame holding on to my back pocket. I can admire the rose windows and the architecture knowing that my passport and wallet are ultra-secure and that if anyone dips into my purse, all they'll get is my metro map and a tube of lip balm.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 2:03 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Have any of you (Americans) heard anything about the recent passport problem we had up in Canada? Where our government left one of our citizens stranded in Kenya,even though she had a valid passport, because they didn't believe she was who she said she was? And they didn't even really try that hard to help her.

They're looking stupid now. She's home - after DNA proved her identity.

I am SO nervous to travel now...

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

beatricedg Posts : 2 Registered: 10/29/09
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

this is the first time I see someone say that they came in Rouen (I live in Rouen !)

you will be welcome if you want to come !

Beatrice de Guigne, WPJA photojournalist

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 24, 2012 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: BriansAzBride

A-line White One Long Sleeve Open Back Knee-length Prom Dress With Applique
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $98.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-white-one-long-sleeve-open-back-kneelength-prom-dress-with-applique-p-32118.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine