cmoynihan1011 Posts : 5 Registered: 8/6/09
Negotiating deposit with hotel
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 3:59 PM

Hi,

I'm getting married July 2, 2011 on Hawai'i. We want to book
our hotel soon so we can start working on getting invitations out since
we have people coming from all over the world. The hotel is asking for
a $2500 non-refundable deposit right off, but I feel like that's a
little much with two years left before the wedding.

Has anyone been able to negotiate down the deposit amount? What seems like a fair price to pay so far in advance? Help!!

MaunaLaniBride Posts : 631 Registered: 3/31/06
Re: Negotiating deposit with hotel
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: cmoynihan1011

We paid a $4K deposit at our resort (Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows) for our Big Island wedding.

It looks like you are getting married on a holiday weekend so what they are asking is not outrageous. If you flake (not that you will), those are probably rooms they could have sold at premium pricing so they are just trying to protect themselves.

Does your deposit go toward your final wedding bill? That's what happened with ours, the $4K went to our final hotel folio. We were able to release rooms a couple months before the wedding and not be charged for them.

If you are nervous about putting down the money then I suggest you get wedding insurance just in case of illness or act of God or act of War: wedsafe.com

Good luck!

Knot planning bio:  http://tinyurl.com/y9p6ky2

Knot married bio: http://tinyurl.com/ydyp4kx

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Negotiating deposit with hotel
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 6:33 PM Go to message in response to: cmoynihan1011

Dear CM,

Vendors, such as hotels, caterers, florists, DJs, often find weddings to be the most problematic. Most that I know would much prefer corporate event clients. Why?

Because corporate event clients know what they are doing. They've done it before, and they'll do it again. There is no emotion involved. They don't freak out if they find BF in bed with the MOH. They don't wake up that morning and say "Oh, gee, I dunno.".

No vendor in their right mind is going to commit to a wedding on a date, where they could easily sell their services to a corporate event planner, without a stiff, non-refundable deposit.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine