Anyone else register at Sears??

Online Users: 1,350 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

zoe1983 Posts : 115 Registered: 4/8/09
Anyone else register at Sears??
Posted: Oct 24, 2009 8:23 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else had registered at Sears and if they did what kind of experience they had. I chose Sears to register because I liked the fact that not only did they have household goods, they also had tools and outdoor equipment. There really isnt any other store around here that offers all of that in one place!

So a few weeks ago my fiance and i went in to try and register. This really great manager was helping us, but after a couple of phone calls and waiting around for like a half hour he informed us that the registry was down at that time. No biggie...we told him we would be back.

So today we go back over because we both actually had a day off together, which happens very rarely. The whole experience was AWFUL! First they sent us on a wild goose chase around the store because each person we spoke to told us that we had to go somewhere else to get the scanner gun. Finally, after asking for a manager and waiting for about a half hour total, we got the gun. So right off the back the gun is not working and we went back to the manager to get some help. She messes around with the gun for a while and then tells us that it is working but that we will have to enter everything manually by punching in the UPC code for every item we choose. We said ok and took off again. We got one item in the freakin thing and then it went down! I went looking for the manager and she had disappeared. Finally I just left the gun on the service counter and we walked out! Talk about awful customer service! I mean come on....we are basically guaranteeing them numerous purchases if we register with them and yet they treated us like we were a pain in the butt or something!

Now I am not sure if we should deal with them at all! Maybe it was just our Sears?!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Anyone else register at Sears??
Posted: Oct 24, 2009 10:55 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

Dear Zoe,

I have been disappointed with Sears over many years and many different stores. They just can't seem to get their act together.

I actually go so mad, back, in 1978, that I tore up my credit card right there in the store.

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

do you have any suggestions for a store comparable to Sears that we could use? We are already doing Khols and Walmart, and I refuse to do Target because of their ridiculous return policy.

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 24, 2009 11:23 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

Zoe,

I had no useful info on Sears, but as AOTB has covered that..... LOL

Well, I would think that if you have Walmart and Kohl's you would be covered. Was there something in particular you were thinking of with Sears?

Macy's can be expensive, but almost everything they have goes on sale every other week. We registered there and they had a lot and a good return policy. Same with Bed Bath and Beyond.

JCPenney's would be another store that's similar in the department store slot.

I have to tell you that I LOVED Macys and BBB. We registered at them both and LOVED them.

Good luck!

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

we want to register for a grill and patio furniture and high quality tools and Sears is really the only department store that sells all of that i think

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

well then if you really think that that is the only place that offers though things (regardless of any other suggestions) I guess that is where you should register.

Although I think you can register at Lowe's and Home Depot now so I would consider that.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 12:00 AM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

But also keep in mind that the grill and patio furniture are very seasonal items and may not be available when the guests are buying. Just an FYI. I ran into that with something I wanted to register for and could not find.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I really wanted to do Lowes or Home Depot but neither one of them have a registry. Lowe's used to but they got rid of it like last summer. I am a bit worried about the seasonal thing though. I mean our wedding isnt until May and I am sure summer stuff will be out by then but since we are registering now I am not sure how we will handle that.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

Ah that's too bad about Lowes and Home Depot. I didn't realize that. Sorry!

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Oct 25, 2009 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Hate to tell ya, but you're gonna be treated like this in any Sears Holdings company. So that's Sears, KMart, Lands End, and I think (but not too sure) they added MyGofer. You should keep looking elsewhere. It's not as high quality as you think. Nothing with them is. And customer service is horrible at these places. It has been and will be. I worked at KMart. I have insider knowledge.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: zoe1983

The Sears near me was bad too. Very unprofessional and my online registry never appeared.

I recommend the Bay, which also has household goods and much better registry service.

Cool

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: Tofu

I used the Bay mostly, but I think they might only be in Canada...??

I registered for a few things from Sears. Didn't have any major problems, but they just didn't measure up to other registries. No completion policy discount, no "real" registry area, less selection (than the Bay)...

Tofu - I also used Canadian Tire. It was a great place, but I heard they don't do registries anymore. At least around here they don't. What about where you are from?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Posted: Oct 28, 2009 10:34 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

thanks for every ones input! I guess it was what I suspected!

Sort of a side problem...so my fiance and i have registered at Khols but that is it. We are having a hard time zeroing in on the right things to register for and I have expressed my frustration to my mom. So now she wants her and I to go register together. She figures my fiance can then go online and then just delete what he doesnt like and add what he does like. At first this seemed cool but my fiance mentioned that was the one part of wedding planning that he deemed as fun and so now I feel weird doing any part of it without him! I love my mom to death but she does occasionally end up being overbearing. Just not sure how to handle this without hurt feelings?

p.s.- my mom is a bit extra sensitive about all of this stuff because my older (and only) sister eloped about 5 years ago and it really really really upset her!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine