is a videographer worth it?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

DinaNick2010 Posts : 1 Registered: 10/22/09
is a videographer worth it?
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 8:37 PM

Hey girls this is my first day on here! I got engaged 9 months ago but my friend just told me about this. I'm getting married on February 6, 2010 at the Clinton Inn. I wanted to know what your opinions are on getting a wedding video. Is it really worth it? I'm definitely hiring a photographer so I just wonder if it's really worth the money...I'm on a tight budget as most of us probably are!

MyBridalCenter Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
Re: is a videographer worth it?
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

First of all, congratulations and good luck with your wedding plans! Hiring a videographer is basically a matter of personal preference. By no means is it a necessity, and in all likelyhood, it's probably not something that you will watch all too often. But on the other hand, a wedding video makes for a great keepsake someday years from now, when you want to look back and reminisce about the happiest day of your life.

My Bridal Center - For all your wedding needs.

http://www.mybridalcenter.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 10:46 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

We found a camcorder on sale, and asked a friend to video our wedding. Probably not as ritzy as a professional, but he did a good job; it was an amount we could budget; and now we have a camcorder.

Misty

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 8:51 AM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

If you're on a tight budget then it's wise to skip the videographer. I am doing exactly what Cat did. I will buy a camcorder and have someone video tape the ceremony and parts of the reception. It's cheaper and you get to keep the camcorder! I think that is worth it rather than paying a lot of money for a professional to film EVERYTHING and then when you get home you will probably only watch the video once.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 10:47 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Our camera is a JVD 35X optical zoom with an 800x digital zoom. I think we spent $350 on it. I did not use any sound system during our ceremony as the system at my church can be touchy at times (screechy, etc). so rather than play with it, I opted out of it - and I had forgotten to consider the video. However, the thing has an AWESOME microphone.

But do NOT forget to get the tripod (we had one, but DH forgot it when he grabbed the camera that day...that's his ceremony regret.)

Misty

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Oh no I never even thought about a tripod!! lol I wonder if I can do without one....but then again now that I think of it I like the idea of having the camcorder just stand there and it won't be blurry or out of focus. Hmmm thanks for the idea Cat!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

LinzZ Posts : 683 Registered: 12/13/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

When I got married, I did not want a videographer. My mother wanted a friend to record the day, so we borrowed my BIL's video recorder and a friend taped. In three years, I've never watched the whole video, and have only attempted to see it twice. It's not really something I need to see played out again. I have BEAUTIFUL pictures of my wedding day if I want to remember. It wasnt' something I wanted to spend the money on. I deffinately don't regret my decision. Hope that helps.

Cherish Yesterday, Dream for Tomorrow, Live Today!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

I wish that there are some things that I had on video to see again. But I'm not heart broken about it.

We spent a lot of time picking out personal music that I barely remember from the ceremony.

Also, I wish I had had my brother's and the BM's toasts on tape.

But that's really about it. So while I wish that, it's not the end of the world.

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

While I don't think it's necessary to hire a videographer, I do think you should try and get a video made of your wedding in some form. Even if you never look at it, if you plan on having kids, it is something that one day your children, or grandchildren would probably like to have. Personally, I wish I had a video of my grandparent's wedding.

While it's true I don't look at it that often, I honestly don't look at my photographs much either. I think I've opened the album maybe twice. Mostly it's there for other people to see if they want to, just like the video.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Renee86 Posts : 159 Registered: 5/30/08
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

You've gotten plenty of answers, just wanted to say welcome and congrats!

Daisypath Wedding Ticker

http://reneenphillip.weebly.com

jkbride Posts : 19 Registered: 2/11/09
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 7:54 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

I don't think it is necessary to hire a videographer if you are on a tight budget. Just ask a friend who can video tape the ceremony and your first dance, cake cutting moment at reception. I got married 2 years ago, and I hired a videographer for like $1500. Well, i got 3 pretty DVDs for a 3 hours long video. Yes, 3 hours long...I only saw it once and my husband fell in sleep after the first 30 minutes. So, i don't think it worth the money after all :P

jkbride

www.myweddingconcept.com

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Posted: Oct 28, 2009 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: jkbride

This kind of depends on you, and your priorities. It is the one thing we didn't do that I really wish we would of. We had a friend do a video, and it's fine, but not professional and it's kinda noisy and some things aren't on it. We've watched it a couple of times. We'll watch it again I'm sure. After seeing a friend of mines I so wish we would of budgeted for it, as does DH. Kelley, if you see this thread, chime in about yours. It is awesome!! My brother had a photo montage slideshow done by their photographer, to music, that was also super neat but less than a video. Wish we'd of at least had that. Maybe we can figure out how to make that ourselves. We did splurge for a great photographer and the pictures she took are wonderful, but, a video would be even nicer to have and keep. Sure would of been neat to see my grandparents wedding (like another pp mentioned). With hindsight, there are other things I'd of cut instead of this if we had it to do over again.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 1:39 AM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

I took a digital multimedia class in high school. Some videographers make equal quality videos to what I was making then. Others are more professional. While my skills were quite nice then, I wasn't worth paying for. See what your photographer offers and if you like it go for it. Otherwise have a high schooler video it for you. They're techie pros and can make it pretty for you with cheap basic software.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

EWF Posts : 158 Registered: 7/16/09
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

we are not having a videographer, more for the fact that i hate being video taped, it makes me extremely uncomfortable. my fiance does want some things filmed, especially to send to his grandmother who, at 90, can't make the trip from Israel, so he is giving his groomsmen those little flip videocameras as part of their present and he is asking them to tape things like our first dance, my dad's toast, etc.

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

Dashuria Posts : 19 Registered: 7/27/09
Posted: Oct 29, 2009 9:25 PM Go to message in response to: DinaNick2010

I am so glad you posted this question! My fiance and I have been wondering do we, or do we not?...about the videographer. I just can't really justify spending that much for something when we are already paying a lot for photos (and I LOVE our photographer!) I think we will do the camcorder route and ask a friend or two to tape the important parts of the ceremony for us. I would like to have something to show our children someday. Plus I like the idea of having a camcorder to own as we start our life together. :) Thanks for the advice all!

Dashuria

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine