Setting The Date!

Online Users: 1,360 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 12

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Setting The Date!
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 6:54 PM

So we originally planned the date of our wedding for May 21, 2011. I guess I have just been so overwhelmed with excitement for the first couple months of our engagement that I honestly forgot my birthday is May 19! So, I am unsure about having our wedding so close to my birthday, what do you guys think? Of course my FH is all for it, according to him it will be like hitting two birds with one stone as far as remembering my birthday and our anniversary. But, everyone I've talked to said that would be wierd to have them so close together and if it was them, they would change the date.

Our one requirement is that we have the wedding on the 21st of whatever month. We were also thinking of having the wedding on July 21, 2011 but that is a thursday. Plus its an outdoor weddng and people would probably die from the heat!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Jan10Jenny Posts : 8 Registered: 12/3/08
Re: Setting The Date!
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 7:42 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

When my parents got married (36 years ago today!), my Dad had celebrated his birthday just a few days before (on a side note, my mother's birthday is exactly one week before Christmas - so she has always had a double duty birhtday).

I don't think there's anything wrong with having your wedding so close to you birthday - in fact, it can be a good thing. Celebrating a birthday and an anniversary is a great reason to take a big trip to celebrate! Plus - he'll never have an excuse to forget either.

If the date feels right for the two of you, then go for it. Especially since you have a restriction on keeping it on the 21st of a month - you're narowing down your options of a weekend wedding (Fri Jan 21, Fri Oct 21, or Sun Aug 21 all 2011).

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 8:20 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

dear PB,

Sometimes things just happen that way. If May 21 works best for you, then go for it.

My grandmother had a Halloween birthday and she loved it!

agd1017 Posts : 464 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I am getting married exactly a week before my birthday. I always felt that I wanted my wedding annviersary far away from mine and FH's birthdays. But I am actually looking foward to having the wedding and our future anniversaries when they will be.

In your situation, I think it's fine. If you are completely set on having it on the 21st, then by all means do it. I don't see anything wrong with having it close to your birthday.

Amanda and Eric
10/10/10

Amanda and Eric

futuremrscampbe... Posts : 9 Registered: 4/28/09
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 10:09 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

My FH and I plan on having our wedding on March12,2011 which is the day before my Birthday. I don't see anything wrong with having your wedding close to your Birthday. I think it's kind of cool. I can say that I got married the day before my 24thBirthday. I just think it sounds cool. lol

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

I dont think it matters. It wouldnt matter to me, anyway. I have a friend whos birthday was the day after his wedding. I think the only year it wouldbe hectic would the the year of the actual wedding. After that you can make a rule, either you do 2 seperate things or 1 combined thing. I am actually kind of a Nazi when it comes to my birthday. I need SEPERATE events! LOL

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. DH and I come from very large families, so our wedding date was going to be very close to SOMEONE's birthday, if not our own. I don't see it was weird or strange at all. In fact, I'd love that. I really like when lots of happy occasions happen back to back.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

Who cares what other people think? If it's Ok with YOU to have the two dates close together, then go for it. If it's not, then change it.

Personally, I wouldn't care - but I never make a big deal out of my birthday. If you're the type who likes to celebrate things for days at a time or if you'd feel like your anniversary overshadowed your birthday every year, then change it - but if it was me, I wouldn't. Who cares if the anniversary is two days after my b-day? So I get taken out for dinner twice in one week - whoohoo!

I'd also consider this: If you absolutely HAVE to get married on the 21st of some month, and May 21st is the only 21st that falls on a Sat in the year you want to get married, I'd go with that date. I know non-Sat weddings are getting more popular, but they're inconvenient for a lot of people. Personally, I would rather have my wedding on a Sat to ensure that as many people as possible are able to come than have my wedding on a Thurs and have half my guest list decline because they have to work.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

Like everyone else said, if it works for you two then go for it! I work with a lady that got married on Valentines Day which also happens to be her birthday. So she has 3 things to celebrate on that day hahaha.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

PinkBear Posts : 83 Registered: 7/23/09
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

Thanks everyone, that really helped! I really want the wedding on that day, and it didn't metter to me that it was a couple days from my birthday, but other people brought it up and it made me start thinking, but you guys have calmed my nerves about it, and I know I'm doing what I want :) Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

dodgercpkl Posts : 130 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

My fiancee and I aren't sure of our date yet, but one of the dates that appeals to both of us is August 27, 2010 which falls just about 1/2way between our 2 birthdays! :) His is on Sep 4th and mine is Aug 21. We actually like having it so close to our birthdays.

It mostly depends on how YOU feel tho. :)

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 22, 2009 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

Our wedding is 3 days before FH's birthday, which is 4 days before Halloween. When we first picked the date, I was a little concerned about it, but since my birthday is Christmas Eve, I feel like it's only fair that his is right after our anniversary! Haha. Also, our dating anniversary falls on Thanksgiving sometimes... yeah so we're not so worried about date conflicts. lol

My point is, don't worry about it! Pick the date that works for you, and the birthday situation will fall into place. You can always celebrate your birthday the weekend before and your anniversary the weekend after, or do a combo-celebration.

38.jpg picture by JeWareGT

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Oct 23, 2009 3:05 PM Go to message in response to: PinkBear

PinkBear- do what feels right. If your wedding day being just a few days after your birthday bothers you, then find a new date. The 21st happens 12 times a year!
My mom and dad got married on my dad's actual birthday. I've never asked how they came up with that date, this post is making me curious now!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine