Me, Him and the Puppy (Where did the relationship Section go)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

smily87 Posts : 86 Registered: 10/16/07
Me, Him and the Puppy (Where did the relationship Section go)
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:13 PM

Hi everyone, I usually hang out in the dress section but I love you ladies so much I decided to come over here and ask for advice. 

So me and my man got a puppy over the summer and she amazingly adorable. Over thanksgiving weekend  we debated about leaving her with a trusted friend (we'll call him J) or boarding her.We thought she would be lonely and scarred being boarded in a kennel. We thought that we could trust J who has a dog that our puppy plays with and a family to give her a loving environment, so we let her spend the weekend with them. Well, when we returned she had a bad burn on her back from an accident while the wife was cooking. Accidents are accidents but he didn't tend to the wound at all and she was really really dirty when we picked her up. We took her to the vet and infection had already started to set in, she'll be okay but only after an expensive procedure. And now my man is really upset. Upset that our little girl got hurt, upset that his respected friend betrayed our trust...just overall very preoccupied with the situation. I'm of course worried to and spend most of my time helping the puppy. But  (here's where the advice part comes in)

How can I cheer him up? Reassure him? Should we ask for J to pay for the bill? Part of the bill? We aren't even married yet and it feels like we have a child occupying our thoughts.

Jerseygal8785 Posts : 144 Registered: 12/5/06
Re: Me, Him and the Puppy (Where did the relationship Section go)
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I totally understand. My FH & I just got a very adorable puppy and we had our very sweet neighbor walk him one day after work.  We were going to get home late and asked her to walk him.  Well we got home and our puppy was gone.  We thought it was wierd.  For an hour and half he was gone, we walked around our development 2, drove around the street, called, finally on our way back in the house our neighbor was putting him back.  She was at the neighbors talking and she forgot to walk him so our poor pup was in his crate for 11 hours compared to an usual normal work day.  We were scared, he was hungry and now we weren't sure what to do.  Granted she never endangered his health so I can't imagine how you feel. 

I don't know if I would let J watch him again.  And the next time you see them, i would give them an "update" on his burn.  Saying the infection is going away, the vet prescribed some medicine.  If you friend really cares then he would offer to pay for it.  But I would find someone else to take care of your pup.  You live in CT, I'll do it! haha

Good luck.

SuezyQ Posts : 947 Registered: 8/4/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:24 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I'm soo sorry to hear about your dog.  That sucks!!  Especially considering you trusted a friend with her.  I can't believe they didn't even try to keep the wound clean.  That's terrible.

I don't blame you or FH for being upset about this.  I would be beyond livid if it was one of my babies!

I'm not sure that there is anything you can do about said friend.  If he's really a good friend, you could sit him down and talk to him.  I don't think you should ask for money though.  But on the other hand, if it was my friends dog, I would have offered to at least help with the vet bill seeings how it happened at my house.  But that's just me.

As for cheering Fh up, maybe you can make him a special meal with all his favorite food?  Or get him a card and tell him all the thing you think are wonderful about him?  He's pissed at the friend and worried about your baby, which is understandable.  You can reassure him by just re-enterating what the vet said.  That she will be fine and you guys are doing everything you can to make sure she's healthy and gets well.

Good luck sweetie. 

Ashleyl525 Posts : 1,590 Registered: 12/27/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

OMG i would be beside myself if that happened to my baby and we have only had her for 4 weeks tomorrow...like PP's have said i wouldnt ask for the money but i would try to calmly talk to J and explain that you are upset...not about the fact that the burn occured because lets face it accidents happen...but about the fact that when the accident happened the proper care was not given to your furbaby...

does he have animals namely a dog? if he does ask him how he would have reacted if his dog got burnt...if hes really that niave to think that it would have healed itself possibly give him a quick lesson on animal first aid - for example if the dog eats something that may make it sick give it a tablespoon or so (not too much more but you may need more) of peroxide. this acts as a doggy Ipecack sp and will induce vomiting and then go into what he should have done with the wound..

as far as your FH goes if it was my FH he would just be mad about it and then eventually get over it with time. but you can do things to cheer him up that you would do if it was you that pissed him off lol...

good luck and i hope your baby is doing good now

Much love and Support!!

Ashley

Once An Ugly Ducking Soon A Beautiful Swann

Way to go Curvatious Cuties!!! BL4 Here We Come!!!!!!!! 

bostonterrierbr... Posts : 129 Registered: 11/8/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:43 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

If this had happened to my puppy I would be very, very upset! And frankly I think you should ask them to pay for the bill. They took responsibility for the dog, hurt it, and then failed to give any type of medical treatment (even home medical care), and let the dog get filthy while it had an open wound on it's back. Now she needs surgery to recover from it. I'm also assuming they didn't even contact you when this happened, and you found out only when you got the dog.

I assume, had they called you like responsible people, you would have asked them to take her to the vet and that you would have picked up the bill. This is absolutely ridiculous. I understand that accidents happen, but you don't leave a living, breathing animal (especially a baby) in pain after you burn it and let the wound get infected. I would sit these people down, tell them how incredibly irresponsible they were, and let them know she needs expensive surgery because of THEIR carelessness, and that you'd prefer that they pay for it. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it really burns me up to hear about people who are careless with God's creatures and the animals have to suffer because of it. They burned this poor puppy and let her suffer more and more until you came to get her. I think this would be the end of me counting that person as a 'friend'!

love4greys Posts : 396 Registered: 1/22/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 3:11 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I am so sorry that your puppy is hurt!  I would definately be angry that this friend did not get her medical attention after the accident happened.l  I would not leave your puppy with this person again.  I work at a boarding kennel and I don't want you to think that all boarding kennels are bad and that dogs hate it there.  We have several dogs that love to come and stay with us!  On THanksgiving all the dogs that stayed with us got a dog safe turkey dinner!  We also keep track of all the times that the dogs go out to potty, if they did anything, who they like to play with, what they like to eat. etc.  A good boarding kennel will do all these things for you.  I would recommend touring different boarding kennels in your area to find one that you would feel comfortable leaving your puppy at if the need arose again.  Ask them if something happened to her what they would do.  We are also a vet clinic so if any of the animals are sick our doctor takes care of them.  Oh and don't make an appt. to tour the kennels, just walk in that way they aren't "prepared" for your visit and you get a more accurate view of what the facility is like.  I hope your puppy gets better soon!  Maybe your FH would like to get her something special to make her feel better like a new toy or yummy treat from the pet store.

smily87 Posts : 86 Registered: 10/16/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

She's feeling much better now and running and playing as her usual puppy self. The hardest part now is keeping the bandages to stay on. She was on morphine last night after the surgery and so groggy but now she's back to eating (and begging). We're never letting her stay with J again. And yes he does have his dog and family, and we thought he would treat her like his own. 

From now on we'll fly her with us (she's small enough) or board her at the vet that we took her to. We viewed their facilities while she was having her procedure and their rates aren't to bad considering this is the bay area. The doctors and nurses there seemed by far the most knowledgeable and caring. FH is pre-med and both his parents are doctors so he know quite a bit, and he was much more impressed by this clinic than any other we've been to. I'm still just anxious about what we're going to say to J when we talk to him.  

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I would make "J" pay the entire bill!!  It was his fault the puppy got hurt and he didn't take care of it.  He would of had it looked at if it was a child instead of a dog.  I'm sorry but I have zero tolerance for stupid people, especially when it comes to pets.  Your Fh has every right to be mad.  Reassure him she is going to be fine.  He may need to be mad right now.  

love4greys Posts : 396 Registered: 1/22/07
Posted: Nov 28, 2007 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I'm happy to hear that she is feeling better!  It's great that you have a veterinary staff that you feel comfortable with.  Good luck with your talk with J.

futuremrscampbe... Posts : 9 Registered: 4/28/09
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 9:58 PM Go to message in response to: smily87

I would definitely make J pay the entire bill. It was all his fault. If someone let something like that happen to my dog, I would want to do bodily harm to them, btu I'm a huge animal rights activist. I hope your puppy gets better. What kind of puppy is it?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 20, 2009 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: futuremrscampbe...

This is from 2 years ago! She might not even be on the boards anymore, so don't expect an answer.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine