DIY Bouquet?

Online Users: 1,342 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
DIY Bouquet?
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 9:34 PM

So i'm just curious to see how many other brides are making their own bouquets! Are you using live, silk, or dried flowers? other items you're using? lets see some pictures to inspire those of us who are still planning theirs! thanks ladies!
Photobucket Photobucket

KatieF1486 Posts : 2 Registered: 9/16/09
Re: DIY Bouquet?
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 7:29 AM Go to message in response to: annarebeccal

I am a bridesmaid, but I am making the bouquets for my best friend's wedding. I have been working for a florist for 4 months now, although she has not taught me how to do bouquets. I can still do a clutch bouquet. It's very simple. We are using roses. All ivory ("vendela" is a good ivory rose) for the bridesmaids, a mix of light pink and hot pink for the maid of honor, and all three colors for the bride. All you do is just arrange your flower into a nice presentable bouquet. Buy some floral tape (I've found this at many craft stores, but even walmart sells it for like $3 a pack). Wrap the floral tape around the stems, cut the stems as short as you'd like them, and wrap ribbon (or fabric leftover from hemming/altering the bridesmaids' dresses) around the stems to cover the floral tape. You can hot glue it or even pin it in with corsage pins w/ decorative pearls on the ends. Other things you can do include adding gems/jewels to your bouquets. They are also found at craft stores. You want to find some that are on a wire. You can extend the length of the wire by using another wire and securing it with floral tape. Tip: You have to stretch/pull the floral tape before you put it on whatever you're using it for. Here is a website that offers more "how to's" for just about everything. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/weddingcrafts2.html
Hope this helps!

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: KatieF1486

I somewhat DIY'ed my bouquets. I had gone to a bridal show and found a florist I really liked, she quoted me $500 for silk flowers (granted that was my bouquet, all 3 bm's bouquets, grroms bout, 3 gm bouts, mom and dad flowerrs, and throwing bouquet, plus like 50 invites) After talking to my Dh and parents realized there was no way we could afford that. So my bm and I decided to head to Micheal's to get an idea of what I like, and see if maybe one of us could find the creative juices to put them together. After we found what we liked we realized Micheal's has an employee who is paid to put them together, so we went and talked to her. Just the few seconds she was holding my flowers she combined them and they looked much better than anything my bm or I had been able to do trying....I got a quote from her how much it would be for the 4 bouques and it was under $100 so I said go for it. She didn't wrap them, so I did that myself, and she also taught me how to make the bouts for the men, and I did that myself. All in all, with her making the bouquets, and my being all the supplies for everything I sent just a little over $100. I used silk, and although they wern't the best quality sik flowers, I think they looked great, and I get to keep them forever.

Jan10Jenny Posts : 8 Registered: 12/3/08
Posted: Oct 12, 2009 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

I'm getting married in January 2010 and will be making the bouquets,

boutonnieres, (instead of corsages, I'm planning on making mini bouquets for the mothers and grandmothers). I just did a test run of my bouquet today. I used live flowers: 2 shades of red roses, purple spray flowers, small pine cones (from my neighborhood), faux red berries (from the craft store), juniper (for the greenery), and the bouquet was wrapped with plum satin ribbon with red velvet ribbon criss-crossed over (secured with red pearl pins).

There are tons of resources online for making your own flowers (check youtube.com for diy bouquet videos). If you are a patient person and can handle it if the final result isn't "perfect" (the flowers from the florist aren't perfect either) then you could go for it.

I'd advise doing a test run to be sure. Good Luck!!

NoisyDuck Posts : 19 Registered: 10/17/09
Posted: Oct 17, 2009 4:52 PM Go to message in response to: annarebeccal

I want to do my own bouquet too. I'm thinking of the rhinetsone bouquet or the normal flesh flower. Which one is better?

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Oct 18, 2009 6:04 PM Go to message in response to: Jan10Jenny

Jenny, that is absolutely beautiful! I wanted to diy my own flowers, but we found some amazing faux bouquets at the craft store for $5. I couldn't pass that up. :)

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding website

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 8:52 AM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

I'm going to have DIY bouquets as well. I'm getting daisies in bulk and then putting them together the day before. I'm going to wrap them in ribbon. The only thing special or extra I'm doing is wrapping my grandma's rosary around mine. I might also look for vintage brooches for my BM bouquets as well, but I haven't decided yet.

florist Posts : 13 Registered: 3/15/09
Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: annarebeccal

Hi There, I am a florist and have written a DIY Wedding Flower Guide with 4 hours of DVD instruction. On my blog I post pictures from time to time. In my EZINE I also post pictures and sometimes recipes for the bouquets as well. I also have some videos out in various places, but you can find all on my blog. visit: www.doityourselfweddingflowerguide.com/blog
The Wedding Flower Diva

Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:21 PM Go to message in response to: Jan10Jenny

Hi There, I think you did an excellent job and I agree it is always a good idea to do a test run!

I am a florist and I have written a DIY Wedding Flower Guide (workbook with step by step instructions and 5 DVD's showing you how to make your bouquets, corsages & boutonnieres, ceremony and reception flowers/decor plus one entire DVD devoted to showing you how to order, buy, process your flower and where to buy them, when to buy them, when to design them....you don't want to be doing this the night before your wedding!!!

Check it out : www.doityourselfweddingflowerguide.com

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you with.
The Wedding Flower Diva

Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:24 PM Go to message in response to: KatieF1486

Here is a website where you can learn how to do ALL your wedding flowers and save 50-75% of the cost.

www.doityourselfweddingflowerguide.com

Enjoy!
The Wedding Flower Diva

Posted: Nov 4, 2009 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: jeaniebelle87

Hi, I'd like to suggest that you don't do your bouquets the night before but instead 2 days before. So, get your flowers in on Wed. and process them (give them a fresh cut and let soak in preservative and overnight in the refrigerator. On Thursday, put together all the bouquets, etc. and again REFRIGERATE. (Make sure there are NO fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator as they let off etheline gas that causes your flowers to die faster). On the day of your wedding, take the flowers out and use them. Read my blog for more helpful tips: www.doityourselfweddingflowerguide.com/blog or sign up for my ezine for tips, recipes (how to put bouquets together) and more.
The Wedding Flower Diva

Edited by: florist on Nov 4, 2009 2:30 PM

swichwang34 Posts : 657 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 9:21 AM Go to message in response to: annarebeccal

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45681.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift