NWR Current Events Thread

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 1,414

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Re: NWR Current Events Thread
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 1:41 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Interesting. I, to, miss this thread. We have another debate going on about "Don't Ask / Don't Tell" on another thread. I'm in California and voted against the gay marriage ban, Prop. 8. I'm glad to see it being challenged. It's a complicated issue, since it was a change in the California Constitution, rather than simply a yes/no, 51% takes-it kind of vote. I personally know one gay-married couple. They've been together over 20 years, live in NY, and went to Mass. to be married. Their marriage has great emotional significance to them, but also helps in some very real issues about property, insurance benefits, inheritance, medical rights, and other concerns that they have been dealing with. If their marriage changed or harmed society in any way, I'm still trying to figure it out. I'll be having dinner and going to the theater with them next month, when I'm in New York. They're great guys.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:51 PM Go to message in response to: myra

Yep, I've been on the DADT thread as well.

If their marriage changed or harmed society in any way, I'm still trying to figure it out.

I guess that's what confuses me, if you don't like it don't do it, but I'm at a loss as to how it bothers me in any way, shape or form.

Course I live in a state that already amended their Constitution and there's no challenge happening here. I doubt there ever will be.

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 2:55 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

I'm with Pharm and Myra.

I will add, that I think it was a stupid issue to leave to the general population to vote about. I wonder how many of those people voted because of a religious belief? And yet, there is a separation of church and State in the USA.

Besides that, I don't believe it matters one darn bit what the "majority" of people think about the rights of gays to marry. It's a matter of civil rights, not a popularity contest. To me, it would be exactly the same as having people vote on whether or not blacks should have equal rights. Even if you get a majority vote, that doesn't make the results "right".

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Bird,

The thing is though that just because governmentally there is a separation of chirch and state, many poeople don't live their lives separated. Religion can influence a lot of people in a lot of different ways.

And I know of a number of religious ladies on this forum who support gat marriage.

So I don't know if that's fair.

Our government is set up in a way that allows for the 'general' population to help determine states' rights, rules, laws and regulations. This was shot down by the California gorvernment, so then it is not uncommon for something that that was not approved by the government to then make it to the ballot for a state wide vote during an election.

In fact, there have been cases of other bills/laws put into place by states' governments that were overturned on a judicial level BECAUSE they were not voted on by the public at large.

I do NOT support Prop 8, but I don't disagree with it being voted on. I just feel that it shouldn't need to be an issue at all.

But I'm in the minority in this country, or something....

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 5:41 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Myra, when and for how long will you be in NY next month? Would you be interested in meeting up with whoever can make it, for another round of Brides.com NY dinner or brunch ? I would love to meet you in person, and Im sure we can round up a few others too. Let me know and I will revive the NYC dinner thread once again lol.

I also miss this thread. This is where I used to put all my funny clips from the Daily show and other current event type shows. So, here we go. Another hilarious Daily Show clip. Hilarious, but very scarily true.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/102391/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rape-nuts#s-p1-st-i1

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

luvathena Posts : 929 Registered: 12/10/07
Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

thanks Kelley- that was hilarious!

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:41 PM Go to message in response to: luvathena

Pharm, thank you for the information.

I still don't think it's an issue that should be voted on. People should have no business deciding the civil rights of other individuals. Again, it would be like putting to vote whether blacks should have been allowed to sit at the front of the bus, or whether women should be considered people. The results don't matter. Some things are just wrong. Denying civil rights is wrong.

I'm like you, though, Pharm, in that I don't think it should even be an issue. Why do people care so much about who adults have consensual sex with, anyway?

And I'm a Christian. My church marries, ordains, and respects the homosexual population, so I am proud to belong to that particular church.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 7:50 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I just thought of something.

On this board, I open my mouth up a lot more about topics that, in good company, I'd bite my tongue about. However, even in the politest of company, there are a few topics that I seem to be incapable of not commenting on. I'm sure everyone has a few of these so...anyone want to share theirs. (and I feel this is relevant to this thread because mine personally reflect a lot of "current events" )

Here are mine...I just can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to...

1. Animal Rights (whether it's people mistreating animals, or people being too extreme protecting animals)
2. Homosexual Rights
3. Woman's Rights (especially bodily integrity)
4. Mental Illness (this is a HUGE one)
5. Vaccines, but only when it comes to misinformation or stupidity (such as "you're going to give your child autism if you give them the polio vaccine", or "vaccines are evil inventions of a corrupt government blah blah blah")

One of the things that I struggle with is the fact that my inlaws like to randomly blither about some of these things. I listened to a half-hour anti-gay marriage rant....listen to them talk about beating animals to death....disregard mental illness, and say "be careful" too much when it comes to vaccines...and insult my brother-in-law's job (he works with whales) And I feel like I HAD to bite my tongue...but my husband has been warned that my patience is running out.

Anyone else? What just gets your back up so much that you can't keep quiet?

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 8:14 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kelley, I would love to meet up. I will be in NY late October, early November. I have really limited time, but probably will be free for a couple of days for lunch. I'll PM you with details and hope we can meet.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 8:31 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Bird, LOL, I know what you mean about having to bite your tongue! But, I have learned over the years that there's really no talking to stupid, and it's hard to change a bigot's mind. I was in a much better position to do so when I was teaching high school, and I give myself lots of credit for opening lots of minds. But, with family--that's another deal.

So, what irks me:
Religious fanaticism (any religion);
political fanaticism (especially far right-wing conservatism);
medical misinformation (this is a biggie, because my husband is a doctor, and you just wouldn't believe the misinformed crap that people hold on to, in spite of all evidence to the contrary);
racial, religious, and gender intolerance and discrimination;
poor spelling and grammar (I can't help it--I'm an English teacher), especially in people who claim to be educated;
bad manners -I'm not an old-fashioned etiquette freak, but please and thank you never go out of style;
Very loud talkers in restaurants or public places (including people walking around talking into the invisible cell phones on their heads. I used to assume that peole who talked to themselves were schizophrenic!. Now, everyone is!)
People in service positions (e.g. store clerks,repair people, the "help" desk in India, etc.) who do not know their jobs or have a clue about what they're supposed to be doing. I don't care if you're getting minimum wage--you're still supposed to do your job!
Pressing 16 buttons for voicemail and then still not being able to connect with a human.
People who value the "life" of a fetus or of a lab rat more than they value living people, including people who support the "Right to Life" by murdering abortion practitioners.

I'm sure there's plenty more, but I'll stop ranting now.

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 1:37 AM Go to message in response to: myra

"People who value the "life" of a fetus or of a lab rat more than they value living people, including people who support the "Right to Life" by murdering abortion practitioners."

I mostly agree with this...though I love rats SO much...lol...but I know what you mean. I think.

My "bodily integrity" comment related to, among other things, abortion. I mean, I'm not going to call someone uncaring for being pro-life, no no no. It's the "who cares if the mother's life is at risk/if she's been raped" ones that truly bother me.

The biggest problem with my inlaws (and you're right, it's probably not worth even trying to say anything) is that they assume I share all of their views. So I'm trying to think of ways to let it slip that I DON'T without being rude..and hoping that, if they know how I really feel, they'll stop bringing up those same topics.

So I gave my husband three choices in dealing with certain issues that they've repeatedly blithered on about. Particularly abouts ones that I find personally offensive, like insulting my brother-in-law's job.

Choices:

1. He can let them know, before our next visit, which topics are off-limits
2. He can wait to see if the bring up said topics, and then he can let them know that we need to change the conversation
3. He can do nothing and wait until I eventually call them rude bigoted idiots.

So hopefully he picks either 1 or 2

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

Bird -

We're still fighting to marry inter-racially here.

Interracial couple denied marriage license

A Louisiana justice of the peace said he refused to issue a marriage
license to an interracial couple out of concern for any children the
couple might have.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33332436/ns/us_news-race_and_ethnicity/from/ET

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 12:03 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

My thing I will never pipe up on and get very heated is when people assume I am an Obama supporter b/c I am "young". My FIL and SIL also assumed DH and I voted for him so during election time last year they would talk him and up and expect us to agree. I never really made a comment but SIL got mad b/c I didn't have anything nice to say. So I guess it's not just SIL but when the election was going on, everyone in my office assumed I was voting for him too, and I was like "ummm, I'm not voting, sorry". So it was sad to me that as a "non-Obama" fan, I couldn't really speak my mind because I was afraid to get blasted. (Because I had gotten blasted previously just for saying I didn't like him, nothing even specific)

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

NJ - I think that's any politics though. You know? I tend to avoid political discussions.

My husband likes to listen to political radio - I can't stand it. I hate when I agree with what the announcer's end point is but he sounds like an idiot getting there so then people who feel the opposite assumes everyone who agrees is an idiot.

If that made any sense what so ever.

I voted for Obama, but I'm not thrilled with some things that have happened and been done - but that's how it always is for me. :-) But I get in trouble at times when I say that - but Lord I can't tell my in laws how I voted. But I nearly had a guy punch me in the face 2 years ago because I said I disagreed with Bush. I was informed that I had no right to disagree with the President. Excuse me? WTF?? So avoiding it is....

And sometimes I agree with what my FIL is saying and then he says that the gov't ruined General Motors (trust me, my Dad worked there, horrible management and poor planning ruined GM) - I did ask him if he thought the gov't should have let them go bankrupt and he was like NO! (I am not so sure we shouldn't have let them go bankrupt, but that's me....)

Oh and my MIL started on how she is last in line to get the H1N1 vaccination because of the new health plan (one has nothing to do with the other, she's not in a risk group for H1N1, which I pointed out....)

My FIL goes on like we all agree with him, it's just easier to ignore it. But I can't help it when they start to try and bring SCIENCE into it and it's wrong. Then I say something. I think my husband wishes I wouldn't but I can't stand it! LOL

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 16, 2009 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

Oh it totally is ALL politics, thats for sure! I just felt like this was the first time I would get blasted for not liking a candidate! And the thing is, I didn't like the other guy either, so whatever. And that is why I didnt vote for the first time since i have turned 18.

I also try to avoid talking anything about the New England Patriots. I get sick on Sundays when watching ANY game that Tom Brady is NOT even playing in, yet the announcers STILL comment something about Tom Brady and what a God he is. And I also avoid any football talk with people who I know don't know as much as I do. Not that I know that much (Pharm can attest to that one! LOL) but I know a lot more than people give me credit for b/c I am a woman. So when someone is babbling about something that is totall WRONG, I have to walk away...I can actually feel my blood pressure rising. Also anyone talking about ANY Philly team I avoid as well.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine