DIY Wedding Invitations

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

liza369 Posts : 22 Registered: 1/26/09
DIY Wedding Invitations
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 11:48 PM

Has anyone or is anyone doing DIY invitations for their wedding? Where did you find some nice inviation kits? I am doing a pink, chocolate brown & white wedding. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

CSUFgrad08 Posts : 114 Registered: 6/19/08
Re: DIY Wedding Invitations
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 2:54 AM Go to message in response to: liza369

Hi there! :)
I am doing DIY invitations too. I bought everything today actually! lol I purchased everything (except for ribbon) at this place called "The Paper Source". I don't know if they are located nationally but they have anything and everything that you need to make invites yourself. FH and I spent a total of $290.00 dollars for everything. This even included a $50.00 special tool that makes pasting ribbon and layers of paper stock together easy! We bought enough materials to make 100 invitations. Since we bought everything in bulk, we received a 30 percent discount as well.
I suggest you look up stores that may specialize in selling paper especially made for invitations. Usually places like that also provide you with samples and ideas to help you decide on what you want the final product to like. If you don't find a store near you that sounds like they sell supplies like that, you can also try target (my friend got married in August and she purchased her DIY invites at target). They looked really cute all she had to do was pay for printing and add a little map for directions to her reception hall. You can also try Michael's or even some office supply stores have DIY invitation kits. The ones I've seen at office supply stores are kind of simple and really plain (nothing wrong with that if that's what you're going for :) ) But you can always make them your own work of art by adding accessories like ribbon or stones or something like that.
I hope that helps! :)
wedding website

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: CSUFgrad08

those are all great places to look. there is also Hobby Lobby that a lot of brides talk about on here...i dont have any near me though. there is Jo-Ann Fabrics, Walmart, Kmart, Michaels, etc.

There are also places online....there is a company called "Envelopments" that can sell all the parts and pieces for you to DIY it yourself. you can look into them too.

Just be careful...it might sound like a bargain to DIY them, but it also adds up quickly! Each piece of paper, extra embellishment, etc ups the price, and then you still need to figure in the price of ink. So, depending on what you are doing, it can cost MORE to DIY them than to buy them all done.

Rexcraft.com seems to have some nice ones for fairly cheap. You can also check Etsy.com...its a place like ebay but everything is handmade. there are lots of people on there who do invites, and the prices are not bad. its kind of like a DIY invite, but you dont have to do the work! ha ha

ReneeMauzey Posts : 7 Registered: 10/1/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: Toast

We carry DIY kits for 2 and 3 layer invitations in mix and match colors. They come in 3 popular sizes and include card stock cut to size and envelopes for 100 invitations and response cards. They also include print templates. You can also purchase adhesive kits if you don't already have those supplies so you'll have everything you need to make awesome invitations. All of our kits use the same quality paper and envelopes we use to make our custom invitations so you can be assured they are top quality. For more information visit http://www.artzyfartzyinvites.com/14.html.

Renee M
ArtzyFartzyInvites
http://www.artzyfartzyinvites.com

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 1:14 PM Go to message in response to: liza369

Check the internet! And check and check again. I googled Wedding Invitations probably 50 times while looking for mine. I didn't want anything too fancy (no ribbons or pockets or anything) but I wanted something with a Fall theme, not just plain white. I ended up with custom invitations from Invitationsbydawn.com for abuot $300 for 100. They came with everything and all I had to do was put the reception/rsvp cards in the envelopes and call it a day.

I would definitely compare the cost of ordering online to the actual supplies youi need and how much time it will make to do all the invitations. Just weigh everything out.

Also, I have received several DIY invitations. Some are just fine, I wouldn;t know the difference. But when the invitation gets kinda complicated, with embellishments and things stuck on, and layers, it can get REALLY uneven REALLY fast and look a hot mess. Just sayin....

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

JanetMichelle2010 Posts : 16 Registered: 6/7/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: liza369

If you are DIY for the money savings (and not as interested in having the personalized, home-made invitation) then you might consider what I am doing. I found a few different people on eBay who make invites for different events on the side (like stay at home moms, etc.). If you send them an email with an attached invitation (something you find on another website) they will refigure the design and show you what it would look like if they did it. I'm only looking for 50 invites/envelopes, response cards, evenlopes, so it is a pretty inexpensive route. If your interested in this the two people I am looking at can be found at www.preciouspostmarks.com and...okay I can't find the other. The quotes I got from this person for all of the above in the design I want was under $150 total. : )
Confidence is intoxicating!

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 3:25 AM Go to message in response to: liza369

I DIY'd my invitations from scratch. I just bought a lot of "cut to size" card stock and some "gate" cards, ribbon, etc... and designed the invites in word then printed and assembled. It was a lot of work but well worth it in the end. i was actually shocked at how well they came out because I'm not typically a very creatively inclined person in this respect.

here are some pics:

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

FutureMrsBentley Posts : 14 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: liza369

Michaels!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift