DIY Invitations

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
DIY Invitations
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 10:29 PM

I'm interested in designing my own invitations, but I am curious where to start. I know a lot of people who design their own are graphic designers or artists (and I am neither!). Where does one find the cute decorative images/motifs? Do you hand draw them or find them in a certain design program?

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding planning guide

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Re: DIY Invitations
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 11:26 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

the way i would do it is on adober photoshop. you can google and download free brushes for photoshop and they're full of cute graphics. I've done a little bit of freelance design but my sister's much better at it than me. she designed our engagement announcements which turned out fabulous but wouldn't be hard to duplicate. for announcements/save the dates you can just design the front and back of a post card and then just go to vistaprint.com and order them! they did a great job for us and right now 100 standard postcards are free! but shipping and other charges apply. When you're looking for them on their site look under business stuff.

ReneeMauzey Posts : 7 Registered: 10/1/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

It all depends on what kinds of software you have. Photoshop (previous post) is great if you have it. It's pretty expensive if you don't. You can use Microsoft word and search for art on the internet that is copyright free or use a program like Printing Press.

Before you start designing you should plan the size of your invitations and envelopes. So many couples come to us saying that they designed their own invitations and had them printed and now they can't find envelopes to fit. Needless to say, this is a very costly mistake. We sell kits that have the paper cut to size with matching envelopes at http://www.ArtzyFartzyInvites.com. They come with print templates which lots of our customers find helpful as a starting point.

It's not easy to find copyright free art so if you are artistic you may want to draw your own. You can also purchase art at various different websites on the internet.

Hope this helps get you started!
Renee M
http://www.artzyfartzyinvites.com

Mandi1983 Posts : 13 Registered: 10/12/09
Posted: Nov 9, 2009 3:48 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

Congrats on your engagement!! I am also designing/printing my own invites and programs. I have found Microsoft Word to be very useful. I downloaded a bunch of free clip-art graphics from Microsoft.com. Also, if you haven't already looked for/purchased the blank invitations I would highly recommend checking out a local dollar store. I found all of my matching invites, programs, and thank you cards for $5 per box. The invites came in boxes of 40 and include the actual invitation, envelope (just an outer envelope), and the reply cards. Seems pretty reasonable to me considering the same kits cost $30+ at any craft or other retail store.

Best of luck!!

TyingSoon Posts : 1 Registered: 1/9/10
Posted: Jan 9, 2010 3:16 PM Go to message in response to: jellybean91908

Hello! First and foremost congratulations to your wedding! When creating wedding invitations, make it attractive and pretty using all those that were mentioned to you. There are alot of wedding invitation ideas that you can find online that you can easily download. Make yours creative in a way that your guests will never forget. Highlight the date and time most especially. Many people tend to focus on the design too much, that they fail to really pay attention to the details written in their invitation. Good luck!

You only get to live one lifetime, and in this lifetime there's this very special day, so make it the best day you can! Good luck!

TyingSoon

http://www.tyingsoon.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine