Invitations......

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MadamBari Posts : 16 Registered: 8/7/09
Invitations......
Posted: Sep 19, 2009 11:58 AM

It's generally considered bad form to include your registry information and/or requests for cash in an invitation, which makes sense... But is it considered tacky to include the URL to your wedding website in your invitations as well?
Awww... my ticker didn't work.  Back to the drawing board!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Invitations......
Posted: Sep 19, 2009 12:11 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Dear Bari,

I don't have a a problem with the wedding website URL in the invitation.

St Homer's Church
123 Main Street
Yourtown, ST
Six o'clock in the evening

www. our wedding . com

After all, the website just expands on the info contained in the invitation. You might have, for example, a photo of the locale so people can spot it when in the general area.

What is tricky is putting registry info in your wedding website. A lot of people do that, but I'm still uncomfortable with it. If you feel you must, then tuck it away behind a couple of clicks, so people have to actively search for it. Don't put it on the home page so it's in the web visitor's face when they first hit the page.

What I think better is to have a section that says "If you have any questions, contact .... " and list the names and email addresses of the parents, the couple and the honor attendants. (Maid of honor, best man) Those people should know your preferred registry, and they can tell anyone who asks.

Finally, it's not all that hard to figure out where a person is registered. I usually don't bother asking until I've put the bride's name in the search boxes of the "usual" places: BBB, Macy's, Target, etc.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Sep 19, 2009 12:14 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

dear Bari,

"It's generally considered bad form to include your registry information and/or requests for cash in an invitation, which makes sense..."

Yes, it is bad form. You are right. It is especially bad form (ie etiquette felony) to put any kind of request for cash. You might as well send your guests an invoice. It doesn't matter if the request is stated in the form of a poem.

A request for cash
Should go in the trash.

ReneeMauzey Posts : 7 Registered: 10/1/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Some of the couples I've worked with have opted to put the wedding website link on the map/directions/hotel information card. Some others have put it on the rsvp card but you should keep in mind that the rsvp card will be sent back to you and your guests will no longer have the website information.

There is a fine line to walk with etiquette. If you are having a less formal wedding and a less formal wedding invitation you don't need to follow every etiquette rule. The internet wasn't around 100 years ago when most of this invitation etiquette was written. I work with a lot of couples that are looking for modern invitations, so if you are having a black tie event with engraved black and white invitations I'd follow the etiquette rules.

Renee M
ArtzyFartzyInvites
http://www.artyfartzyinvites.com

Jean Posts : 101 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

You're right about it being bad form to include registry/request for cash info on the invitation (The point of the invitation is to let guests know the who-what-when-where. . . info that will make it easier for them to attend and enjoy your event. It has nothing to do with gifts).

Regarding URL's and wedding websites -- my preference is to include that on an enclosure with the invitation, not on the actual invitation itself. This is information designed to assist your guests -- such as maps, directions, hotel accommodations . . . Registry info on a website is fine, as long as it's not the predominant thing on the website.

If the URL is put on the invitation, simply place it at the bottom.

Jean

www.weddingsfromtheheart.net

MadamBari Posts : 16 Registered: 8/7/09
Posted: Oct 18, 2009 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Auntofthebride: I have to respecfully disagree with you about placing your registries on your wedding website. Honestly, I think that your wedding website is one of, if not THE, only place it's appropriate to put your registry information 'in print,' so-to-speak.

I'm not going to get into too much detail, but on my side of the family, a word-of-mouth operation is simply NOT an option.

We decided to put a little insert in the envelope with our save-the-date cards that had our wedding website on it. Thanks to everyone that answered!

ETA: I just want to edit this quick after rereading your response, Auntofthebride. I think you DO have a very valid point about not sticking it right under people's noses on the website... it shouldn't be the first thing they see when they go to your website... but I have to ask exactly how hidden do you think it should be?

I always thought a small tab labeled 'registry' under a list of other tabs (venue, directions, engagement story, ect) would be fine... how do you feel about that?

I'm just curious because it's obvious from your posts that you have some strong opinions. And I have a problem with picking the brains of strongly opinionated people :)

Edited by: MadamBari on Oct 18, 2009 11:23 AM

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Oct 18, 2009 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: MadamBari

Madam, I know Aunt can speak for herself, but she'll probably say she'd prefer the registry info not be included in the website at all and that the news just get delivered by word-of-mouth, with the guest specifically asking for the info somehow rather than having the information right there when they go to the website.

The main reason I'm jumping in here is that, in contrast with Aunt's (probable) opinion, I think including a tab labeled Registry is just fine. And FYI I'm one of those people who's adamantly against including any registry info on your invitation or even as an insert with your invitation. I think it's OK to include in the website because 1) people are not required to go to your website, especially if you include an insert with directions with the invitation; that way they've really got everything they absolutely need and 2) it's still keeps the registry info from being right there under their noses as soon as they open the invite. They have to take action to go to the website.

preview image

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine