Please help my wife and I win this most amazing honeymoon!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

kiwicam Posts : 6 Registered: 9/29/09
Please help my wife and I win this most amazing honeymoon!
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 4:36 PM

Hi all,

My wife and I entered a love story contest along with almost 3,000 others....

We got selected into the top 5 finalists....

NOW - it's up to the public to vote and whoever gets the most votes wins.

I'm
from New Zealand and my wife is from LA, and we had an amazing wedding
2 months back in Santa Barbara, but could not afford a honeymoon so
we'd be so blessed if you'd consider our story, and vote for us!

You can vote once per day. Please go to my wifes blog for more details! Thanks in advance:

The link is: http://shariyahgarner.blogspot.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Please help my wife and I win this most amazing honeymoon!
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 2:58 PM Go to message in response to: kiwicam

So, you blew your money on a wedding and now you want total strangers to pay for your honeymoon.

Here's a great idea. PAY FOR YOUR OWN HONEYMOON.

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 3:45 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

woah @auntofthebride.
Sorry for upsetting you (it appears that I have...).

We actually flew half way around the world and didn't 'blow' our money - we invested it in the most important day of our lives in uniting together, and enjoying the company of over 100 of our invited guests, friends and family, who also invested in flying to be with us. Nobody lived in Santa Barbara, CA where we married so everyone had to travel. It was not money 'blown' as you intimate, but money that everyone consciously selected to spend.

We entered a contest, that required entrants to detail their love story in 2,000 or less characters. Almost 3,000 people thought it was a good idea to enter, like us - each with their own unique story of love.

In rereading my post to this community, I cannot emphathize with your position, though I again apologize for upsetting you somehow. Other members of Brides.com and these forums, have been quite happy to help me, yes, a stranger, by taking a moment of their precious time, and clicking a button that might help us win something we've dreamed of having.

Did you read our story, or anyone elses? Or were you content in leaving your ill-natured post back to me without considering that a selfless act of helping another without requiring anything back in return, is, in itself, an act of love?

Our story is not a sob story - it's our precious love story, as can best be told in 2,000 characters... which is quite a task. I'm sure you have one too, or at least know of a love story. I sure hope that when I am presented with opportunities such as that I've presented here in the forum, that I might be considerate enough and loving enough to offer what I can to help another; stranger or not.

Again my apologies for upsetting you, thanks for your time, and blessings from my family to yours.

With love.

kateo Posts : 18 Registered: 3/30/09
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 9:13 AM Go to message in response to: kiwicam

I voted for you guys!!! I understand the challenges of cross-culture love, being from a different continent than my husband... and I'm really happy that you are both making it work out. I think you deserve an awesome honeymoon!

Sorry you had to have such a bitter response to your post - some people seem to get pleasure out of going on forums purely to write obnoxious comments. They really aren't worth thinking about, this is not the majority view, just a worthless individual with far too much time on their hands.

MrsM2009 Posts : 422 Registered: 3/16/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 10:42 AM Go to message in response to: kiwicam

Kiwi - what you don't understand is that we have people like you who come on here ALL THE TIME and try to get us to vote for something or other. We don't know you, you're totally alien to this forum, yet you come in here and expect us to do something nice for you for no reason at all. Some people don't take too kindly to that. A few months ago a girl had lost her uninsured engagement ring and posted on here asking for people to send her checks in the mail so she could replace it.

And while maybe you don't consider it "blowing" your money to have the wedding you had, the fact is you made choices - you chose to spend your money "flying half way around the world and enjoying the company of over 100 of your invited guests." If that's what you want to spend your money on, that's great, but YOU made that choice that having that wedding was more important than paying for a honeymoon. To then come on here and act like it's so sad that you didn't get a honeymoon and we should vote so you get one is ridiculous. It makes it seem as if you think you are entitled to a honeymoon, which you are not. Everyone is responsible for their own choices, and your choice was to spend your money on a wedding and not a honeymoon. But you seem to want to have your cake and eat it too.

The PP who said that she understands the difficulties of cross-continental love and felt that you and your wife "deserve" a wonderful honeymoon is full of crap. Guess what? EVERY couple has a love story. Every couple has some difficulty they've overcome to be together. No couple is deserving of a free handout. I take real offense to this issue that people think they deserve a fantastic honeymoon or a glorious expensive wedding, even if they can't afford it. You deserve nothing more than the honeymoon that you and your wife can afford, whether that's a $250 camping trip or a $20,000 trip to Bora Bora.

My DH and I went on a honeymoon. We even went on an expensive one - an $8,000 trip to the cook islands. We paid for it with our own money, just as we did for our wedding. If we'd had $1,000 to spend on the honeymoon instead of $8,000, we would have gone somewhere local we could have afforded. We probably could have invited an extra 50 people to our wedding if we hadn't gone on the honeymoon, but guess what? We decided that going on that trip was how we wanted to spend our money, so we did it. And if we had spent everything on the wedding because we thought that was more important, I damn sure wouldn't have gone begging strangers to help me get a free honeymoon because I felt like I was somehow entitled to it.

Now, if you were actually a member of this forum - one who posts regularly and who had developed a relationship with the other women (and some men!) here while planning your own wedding, then I would have voted for you because I considered you a friend, and not a stranger. It's when strangers come asking for handouts that it gets annoying.

I went to the website and read your story. I actually didn't think it was anything that was any more special than any other love story (not saying your love isn't true, just saying that everyone has some kind of story like your story, and I didn't find anything particularly compelling in it). I voted for another couple, whose story did move me.

Heidibride30 Posts : 1,201 Registered: 4/16/08
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

Amen MrsM!

Proud member and S.C.A.T. of POOP - People Offended by Offended People

Posted: Oct 1, 2009 4:10 PM Go to message in response to: MrsM2009

@MrsM - totally understand your point. Few things I'd like to respond with:

1) We have already 'won' somewhat the love story contest - over 2,800 entries, The Knot and Estee Lauder judged the '5 best' stories (in their opinion). So out of 2,800 entries - we were judged, by them, to be one of the 5 best.

Now - it's a voting competition - pure and simple. The couple with the most votes - wins - regardless of their story!
We are simply trying to garner as much support as we can, to win.

2) I don't think our love story is sad, and certainly didn't want this post, garnering support for a honeymoon to indicate that it had any sadness in it. We were content knowing we were investing in the wedding of our dreams, and in lieu of taking a honeymoon 'right now', we would save. The contest was a '1 in a million' chance thing, we managed to get into the finalists spot, and so hey - we're trying to get as many votes as we can.

3) lastly - we're not trying to take up your time, or intimate that we've been regulars here - we haven't - we've just gotten married and we're, ya know tied up these days! ;-) But - we did see a post as an opportunity to garner votes, and if you feel led by our story great - if not, and you want to vote for another - great. It's a voting competition - that's it - and we're doing all we can to get some support.

You're right - everyone has a unique touching love story, and we're excited ours was somehow chosen as one of the top 5. Hey - evereyones story if it includes finding their true love is magic and we celebrate with them, knowing that once we found each other, how joyous it was in our lives.

Obviously we're not looking for blank checks in the mail here team - we're looking for those of you who want to help us, to click a button or two. no forms to fill, just a button, but it's not a sob story - it's just an honest plea for a moment of your time. Your choice. No pressure, but if you don't want to, then it's obviously better to just 'not' rather than lambast me with the reasons why. Freedom of speech and all I get, but it's just a contest, and by next week 10/7 we'll be gone, and no doubt someone else will be here using some initititive to get support from fellow humans for some sort of personal gain for them. Maybe someday that will be you. And I hope if it's me on the other side, that I'd take the time to help, as I'm pretty sure I would.

Blessings and love.

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 5:09 PM Go to message in response to: kateo

They really aren't worth thinking about, this is not the majority view, just a worthless individual with far too much time on their hands.

Actually you will find this is the majority view. It was not a worthless individual with far to much time on their hands it was an individual who is respected by many for her opinions. This particular view is shared by many as you have already seen.

You posted two different threads on the same subject. In that one I made a joke about the issuein this one I will just say kateo is in the minority. As was previously stated if you were a regular we, most of us would jump at the opportunity to vote for you but you are not. Why don't you go back to TheKnot where you came from and ask them for votes. I am sure they would be happy to vote for you, you are one of them afterall.

I still vote for the check.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: kiwicam

I voted for you! Good luck!

I had a wee look through your wife's blog, I love her style of painting! Very cool. And those wedding photos are amazing! They are so unique!!

Bally Posts : 355 Registered: 9/25/08
Posted: Oct 3, 2009 12:23 PM Go to message in response to: Bally

I went to the photographers website too..lol..sounds like I'm stalking you, but holy flip! Thats one of the coolest looking weddings ever!! And your wife's dress is amazing...

Seriously people, go look at those photos!!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Oct 4, 2009 7:29 PM Go to message in response to: kiwicam

Dear Kiwi,

Oh, boo hoo hoo.

I've also flown halfway around the world. I don't expect total strangers to pay for my travel.

Grow up. Pay your own way.

SoontobeMrsGlover Posts : 79 Registered: 9/14/09
Posted: Oct 19, 2009 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Kiwi, while I appreciate your love story, as well as everyone elses', I tend to agree with what the others have already said. You should have the honeymoon you can afford. Its not about a fabulous trip to an exotic place. Its about sharing your love with your new spouse. By all means, if you can afford the exotic trip, thats wonderful. But if not, there's something to be said about waking up in your own bed on a Sunday with the one you love lying next to you... sounds like a beautiful honeymoon to me, if that's all I could afford.

As far ask asking people to vote for you, I'm a newbie here on this forum too and wouldn't expect people to blindly vote for me for anything just becuase I asked.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine