Anyone save the cake??

Online Users: 1,261 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 20

MonaLisaRoyaleB... Posts : 79 Registered: 5/1/09
Anyone save the cake??
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 1:14 PM

I'm getting married on 10-17 and wondering if any of you saved the top tier of your cake.. I have heard different things on the correct way to save it and just curious what really works!
wedding website

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Re: Anyone save the cake??
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 1:28 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

I saved mine and seriously it was my FAVE part about my anniversary. My mom has a freezer in her basement for overflow stuff and she put my cake in there. It's a freezer she doesn't use often. My cake was exactly like it was the day of my wedding one year before. I am not even joking. So if you have a freezer that you do not use and do not open everyday (as opposed to the one in your kitchen) put it in there. My place wrapped mine for me, but it was wrapped in Saran, then foil over the top of that. Several layers.

Good luck! I think it was SOO fun to eat our cake the next year! :)

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 3:04 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I did for my first wedding, and it was good (not as good as wedding day).

This time, DH and I elected to take our cake on our honeymoon. We've been noshing on it the whole week and enjoying the heck out of it. I didn't get to enjoy my cake during the reception -- and I didn't worry about that at all because I knew I had it for the week as the top tier was going with us. We have already made plans to order a anniversary cake from our baker for our anniversary. It might even become an anniversary tradition.

That cake got a lot of accolades from people. My wedding planner friend wanted to know WHO did my cake because it was so yummy. (The funny thing: I found this vendor at a bridal show he put together...but they are not a vendor he usually recommends when someone asks about cakes. That might just change.) One of my bridesmaids thanked me for not getting a white cake (it was sour cream pound cake with raspberry filling--their most popular flavor), and OMG it was yummy (she has also threatened to make "yummy" a drinking game)

Misty

MrsPaul Posts : 186 Registered: 1/15/08
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

We actually just celebrated our one year (yay for me!) and we didn't save the top layer. Like Cat mentioned we had our baker make us an anniversary cake that looked and tasted just as yummy as it did a year ago! Good luck with your wedding, 10/17 is just around the corner!
wedding ticker for myspace

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 1:06 AM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

We ate our cake on our wedding night with two forks ,on the hotel bed, in my wedding gown and in his tux, at 3am as we opened all the cards and gifts from our guests lol. We were starving ,and it went well with the bottle of champagne the hotel gave us. It was so much fun!

Plus, our venue was great, and they recommended eating it soon after the wedding, and they also made a "recreation" of our top layer of cake as a one year anniversary gift. So we "had our cake and ate it too." HAHAHA, Oh I kill me. ...

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Oct 1, 2009 2:52 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

We saved the top tier of our cake for our first anniversary, and let me tell you: You need to really make sure the person wrapping it up for you knows to wrap it up REALLY well. I don't know who wrapped ours up, but all they did was set it on a piece of cardboard and put several pieces of plastic wrap over the top of the cake and used SCOTCH TAPE to tape the ends of it to the underside of the cardboard. They did not smooth the wrap down to the sides of the cake, either, so their was a ton of air trapped in there next to the cake, and the scotch tape did not retain its stickiness in the freezer, so the wrap was loose on there.
Then the cake sat in my aunt's freezer like there for over a month before she brought it over for me to keep in my own freezer. I was appalled when she brought it over and I saw how it had been wrapped.
I re-wrapped the cake about 15 times (literally) with new plastic wrap pretty tightly so as not to trap any more air in there than I had to. Then I wrapped it once or twice with tin foil and put it back into the freezer.
When we opened the cake up on our anniversary, the cake didn't really seem freezer-burnt like you'd think, but most of it was pretty dry from being exposed to air for so long. We ate a few bites out of the middle of it, then tossed it.

Moral of the story: Make sure you know who will wrap the cake up for you, and instruct them to wrap it really well, with no air next to it. Maybe Google instructions on doing so for them. I hope yours turns out great! :)

2009ToBeMrsV Posts : 256 Registered: 12/30/07
Posted: Oct 2, 2009 3:17 AM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

My Dad wrapped ours up really good and frozed it while we were on our honeymoon, so when we got home this past Monday from the honeymoon we thawed it out and have eaten a few slices. I really didn't want to wait a year because even wrapped as well as it was I just didn't trust that and I figured after spending $400 on a fondant cake we might as well enjoy it while it's still pretty fresh lol.

Engaged: January 1, 2008
Getting Married: September 19, 2009

Jamesswifey82908 Posts : 1 Registered: 11/20/09
Posted: Nov 21, 2009 10:18 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

Hey hun,

well for my first wedding i didnt get to have a cake, but when we get remarried I plan on saving the top tier. I heard from family that when you get married your supposed to save the top tier and eat it on your 1st wedding anniversary.

Hugz Michelle

wedding planning guide  save the date

skillgore Posts : 2 Registered: 11/21/09
Posted: Dec 10, 2009 11:14 AM Go to message in response to: Jamesswifey82908

I saved our cake by wrapping it up in tin foil and hiding it away in the freezer. We pulled it out on our 1st anniversary and had some. Didn't really taste much like it did on our wedding day, but it was nice and brought back memories.

Sunnijoy Posts : 32 Registered: 3/19/10
Posted: Mar 25, 2010 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: skillgore

How long did you ladies let your cake defrost? And did you unwrap it to defrost it or just take the box out of the freezer and unwrap it once it defrosted?

"Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." ~Westminister Catechism

I try to spread my message to the world the best way that I can give it
We can make it, always be optimistic
If you don’t listen, gotta live my life the best way that I can live it
With the faith of a mustard seed, you can move mountains
And only the heavenly father can ease the hurt
Just let it go and keep prayin’ on your knees in church (Let’s go)
And be hopeful, hopeful, and He’ll make a way
I know it ain’t easy but - that’s okay
Cause we hopeful -"Hope" by Twista and Faith Evans

MrsMcDAtLast Posts : 860 Registered: 1/1/07
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:27 PM Go to message in response to: Sunnijoy

As I recall, I took the cake out of the freezer and put it into the refrigerator a couple of days before our anniversary to thaw. I left it all wrapped up until we were ready to eat it.

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

Ladies,

True Story:

My parents got married right after WWII. (Jan, 1946) Sugar and other commodities were still rationed then, so their wedding cake was small. They wanted to save the top, so they carefully removed the top and carefully wrapped it up.

Some of you might not have ever seen a refrigerator from the 1940s, but in those days the freezer compartment was really small. This was especially true in a tiny kitchen in Married Student Housing at the Univ. of Arkansas where the students lived in war surplus trailers. My parents' frozen cake took up a huge portion of the freezer.

Finally, after a year, they took it out, unwrapped it and dug in for their first anniversary.

It was styrofoam. Literally. Come to find out they did not have enough sugar ration coupons for the full cake, so the baker put styrofoam on the top and decorated it.

No, we did not save the top of our cake. We had to drive back home, and had no way to refrigerate it for a week on the road.

TheeBride Posts : 130 Registered: 1/17/10
Posted: Mar 26, 2010 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Bahahaha, that is freaking hilarious!! LOL

We plan on saving out top tier, they're going to wrap it for us. She said it should be good but not like our wedding day, we figure why not try. It's lemon with raspberry filling and buttercream icing, we'll see.

"I carry your heart with me, I carry it in
my heart. I am never without it, anywhere
I go you go, my dear..."

E.E. Cummings

Daisypath Wedding tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 9:42 AM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

LOL at AOTB's story about her parents's styrofoam top layer. I would have been PISSED if I'd wasted my freezer space on styrofoam for a whole year!

We saved ours and ate literally one bite on our first anniversary. No, let me rephrase that, because I lied: We spit that one bite out on our first anniversary. The cake itself tasted fine, but the buttercream frosting tasted sour and pretty gross. All in all, it was a big disappointment. I had been looking forward to it, because I had talked to girls on here who had saved theirs and said it tasted great. I carefully wrapped it the way I had been instructed, defrosted it carefully before our anniversary, and the icing still soured. Ick.

All in all, unless you have a traditional fruitcake as your top layer, I wouldn't waste your time. Seems like it's really hit or miss, and not worth the disappointment if it's a miss. Instead, call the bakery and have them bake you a small cake in the same flavors. I did that after the frozen cake turned out to be gross, and it was soooooo good!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Mar 30, 2010 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Ha! Aunt! That is hilarious and awful all at the same time.

Both FH & I have a severe sweet tooth. There is no way in hell that a top tier of our wedding cake would last a year in the freezer. Both of us would probably stealthily go in to our deep freeze, unwrap, cut off a sliver and rewrap hoping the other wouldn't notice.

Come anniversary time there would be very little cake left.

I like what both Cat & Kelley did. Eating it either in the hotel room after the wedding or on the honeymoon.

Both good ideas.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine