Who's hiring a videographer?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Who's hiring a videographer?
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 12:37 AM

We were planning on having one, but everyone my FH has contacted has been shady. We finally met up with someone who was in our price range and will give us what we want. Alls we need is a video of the ceremony, speeches, first dances, etc. I don't care to spend a fortune and have a whole movie production!

So anyways, we met with this guy and I kind of had to laugh about this. First with the basic package, he said the DVD cover isn't included, the DVD will just be in a sleeve, but he would throw in the DVD cover. He also said he doesn't include the mic that taps into the camera, but he would throw that in. Shouldn't that stuff be included even if it is the standard package? Especially the mic...otherwise we would get all the background noise and you couldn't hear whomever is speaking! We were hoping to get more, especially since now the economy is so tough, you think he would be able to negotiate an extra hour, or the travel fee (he said he would do $60 instead of $100, which for his commute, I think that's kind of pricey). The end of it was when we asked if an emergency came up and he wouldn't be able to make it, he told us he always makes it. But you can't predict if your going to get in an accident or some other unthinkable thing happens. Finally he told us he doesn't have a backup or partner, that he would have to find someone off of craigslist, but then that person would also be doing the editing and all that other stuff. This was what turned us away big time. I had to give my fiance the codeword just to get out, he was planning on booking before we met since he already spoke with him and he was the first person that wasn't shady!

So we started thinking, we have a camera, why not just set it up and film it ourselves, and maybe friends can take turns through out the evening. It would be saving a few hundred dollars that could go towards something else, and we would still be getting only what we want out of the video.

Can anyone whose met with videographers tell me how their meetings have been, should I just give up, or keep looking?

KatyDee Posts : 48 Registered: 7/2/09
Re: Who's hiring a videographer?
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Hi there... What a strange meeting that must have been... I would absolutely think that a microphone and DVD Cover (of all things ha ha) would be included in a package. And 100$ for transportation?! I assume he was driving a LONG way. Good for you to get out of there when you did.

A girlfriend of mine got married last year and did an interesting thing for her videographer. I dont know how you feel, but to her the video wasn't nearly as important as the photography, so she wanted to put most of her money towards a great photographer and photo package. On a tight budget, she decided to call a nearby Art School who had film students, and see if the Career Services department of the school could recommend anyone to do the job. They were gambling with this, sure, but the school made a really great recommendation. They hardly paid anything, and the student was very grateful to get a wedding on their resume.

It wasn't a master piece of edited video by any means, but the sound was good, video quality was high, and they have their vows on tape. They had no regrets. Granted, this situtation would NOT always turn out as good as it did for them... but its definitely something to consider if the video isn't hugely important to you.

Just a thought!

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 9:07 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Actually our photographer also does videography but it was UBER expensive, and I didn't even want a viedo anyway. but during our meeting with him, he suggested taking video with our own camera of walking in the church, the vows, the kiss, walking out. Then the speeches, first dance..etc... Basically all the "important" stuff. Did we do this? nope....b/c I dont like watching myself on video. So my point is, you can do it yourself if you don't want to spend the extra money or can't find anyone you like to do it for you!

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 9:14 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

These videographer are too expensive :( So we are not having one. Plus we figured why spend the money if we will hardly sit down for hours and watch our video. So instead what we are thinking of doing is to buy a camcorder (they are CHEAP now due to everything being on sale!). With the new camera we will buy we will have a family member video the whole ceremony and some of the reception. A $400 camcorder will be so much cheaper than a $2000 videographer!! Plus at the end of the day we still have our camcorder :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

BirdLover Posts : 2,834 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:02 PM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

We didn't hire one, although an amateur from the church did it for free.

We still haven't even watched it.

So to use, clearly, it would have been a waste of money - I care more about looking at photos than videography.

I would think carefully about whether or not you think it's something you'll actually want to look at more than once before spending a lot of money on it. If you decide that yes, it is..then go for it!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 3:10 PM Go to message in response to: BirdLover

I didn't want a videographer, either, until someone (admittedly a videographer) asked me: Whose your favorite relative?

My grandfather.

How much woould you pay to have a video of your grandfather's wedding?

The truth is I would love, love, LOVE to have a video of my grandparents' wedding.

So that's why we did it. Our wedding planner recommended someone in our price range she had worked with before, and it worked out. The video sat in our possession for about 9 months. Finally, we watched it with my parents. We had a lot of fun watching it. We then saw it a good 5 more times, with the other set of parents, and some other friends who we really wanted to show it to because they were at the wedding and there was hilarious footage of them dancing. There are parts we like a lot (our wedding party giving speeches) and stuff we totally fast-forward (the ceremony!).

I haven't watched it now for a good 8 months (and I haven't looked at a picture for at least that long as well). It will be awhile before I ever watch that video again. But I do suspect that one day our children will be really grateful to have it, and maybe our grandchildren will one day too. I'm glad we did it.

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I am a big fan of getting a videographer, even though I am in the minority probably. I have to say that the guy you met with sounds VERY shady. If you'd like a video, check with photographers in your area. Some studios provide both services. If not, they could probably recommend someone who is reputable. I am always suspicious of people who are willing to throw a lot of things in for free. To me, it seems like they are just trying to create the impression they are giving you a good deal.

I love my video. DH and I have watched about a dozen times since we got it in February. In fact, many family members and friends have watched it with us. Each time, we notice something we hadn't seen before, like my SIL crying during the ceremony or my FIL singing during our first dance. They aren't major things, but they are touching things we didn't realize the day of the wedding.

It's probably my up bringing, but we are a group who really enjoys watching wedding videos, even ones from 20 years ago. Its fun to look back and see the girl who got married last week when she was a flower girl 20 years before.

If its not something you really want, you can skip it. My BIL did to save money at the time, and now regrets it. There were lots of cool moments from his wedding we won't even get to see again because there is no video. You could also someone (a friend or relative) to do it, but I don't feel that would be fair. They are a guest and even though they may not mind, worry about a video camera could put a damper on their enjoyment of the festivities.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 9:52 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Thanks for the input everyone! Mrs.D and Bride2008, I still wanted a video, but you guys definitly re-assured me why I need one! I really do like the idea of hiring a student (I just graduated from an art school too!) or using our own camera. We do have a camera, it's really just a matter of who would do the filming. The thing that sucks is that before it was always my dad who was the camera man! When I was in cheerleading, he would be the hired videographer for all the competitions, no matter where they were hosted. He was even supposed to do a wedding a few years ago, he didn't for other reasons, but like I said, he's always the camera man...and there's no way I would want him to be filming on my wedding day, he needs to enjoy himself! Also, he always worked alone so it's not like he had a partner I could call up. There is one of my FH's friends who is good at filming also, but he's one of the best men so that's also out of the question. I think I'm going to contact my school about getting a student.

rubyred1 Posts : 968 Registered: 8/9/07
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

My biggest regret about my wedding (and I only have two!), is that I didn't get a video. FH and I just couldn't fit it into our plans, and I wish we somehow would have for at least the ceremony, because apparently no one could hear our vows, since the mic was broken. If I had to do it again, a video would be on my list near the top of things to have done.

EmilyBowser Posts : 3 Registered: 11/27/09
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 8:41 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I hired Stereo Waltz FIlms and I was REALLY happy with the outcome! Didn't break the bank and now I have those memories forever! I highly recommend getting a videographer. It's really sad for me to think that people won't have one of the most important days of their lives recorded! The day goes by so fast and it's great to be able to see everything you couldn't take in that day.

Stereo Waltz Films is fresh and edgy. Check them (and my own wedding video) out at: http://www.stereowaltzfilms.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

We actually did what Cheetah said she's doing. It was something we decided early on in our budget process -- and one day, we walked into Walmart, and they had freakin AWESOME deals on camcorders. I had to drive all the way back home to get the wedding card, but it was so worth it.

The camera had an awesome microphone (We didn't use mics for our service, but we did practice projecting during our rehearsal) and everything was picked up.

The big problem was that DH forgot to bring the Tripod with him, so the guy who videod for us had to hold it the whole time. It was mostly steady...but I was thrilled with the work.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ObiJohn#p/u/2/5gG2meGVtPQ

http://www.youtube.com/user/ObiJohn#p/u/4/-I8MFYAm6J0

This is a small part of it.

Misty

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine