DIY photo backdrop stand

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
DIY photo backdrop stand
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 2:31 AM

We are doing a DIY "photobooth," and were planning just to tape a sheet to the wall as a backdrop. However, at the last minute we learned that our venue will not allow anything to be taped to the wall. I therefore ended up making a simple and inexpensive (under $25) photo backdrop stand this afternoon, and posted the instructions at this link, for anyone who may be interested.

Our wedding Web site and items for sale

Soon2BAPrice Posts : 50 Registered: 4/7/09
Re: DIY photo backdrop stand
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 3:16 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

so, YOU are on here too?! (lol, i go as lilmsjess over there>> lol)...

again, i think it's a cool idea! i like the pirate garb...neato!

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 3:18 AM Go to message in response to: Soon2BAPrice

I'm everywhere! You can't escape me! Bwahahaha!

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 3:29 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

rofl, what a dork! so, while you're "peddling" through the forums, what's NotFroofy up to?! i mean, i know she's NotFroofy, and all, but is she planning? or are YOU the froofy one?! lol, idk if i've ever heard froofy before this, and i keep typing froffy first! lol it's crazy i know.....

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 5:54 PM Go to message in response to: Soon2BAPrice

Oh, NotFroofy is definitely planning! She did almost all the paper stuff (invitations, programs, thank you cards, the graphics for the explanation of the Welsh love spoon, photo sharing cards). She designed both of the RSVP Web sites. She is making the speech and thought bubbles for our DIY "photobooth." And she picked out all the music (for the ceremony and the first dance), and is making the CD for the ceremony music.

It does amuse me. Both NotFroofy and I have been heavily involved in planning. We have two male friends who are getting married a couple of months after us. When you talk to them, it's like they haven't planned at all--they just figure that their friends will throw them a party as the reception.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 9:36 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

well, i def cannot wait to see how your pictures and everything turns out! i told fh tonight, since a few years ago he bought me an HP camera, with a portable printer, that it'd be pretty neat to do the DIY photobooth! he agreed! so, we found a woman who can do out traditional shots, and do all the framing/matting, 3 small albums, and the prints, for just $700....we'll only end up with about 10 printed/framed shots, the rest are 4x6 touched up in albums, but still! the rest, it's just cheaper for us to do it that way, b/c then, fh's stepsister said she'd print everyone's pic offf my printer, and give them to each person, and make sure all the pics stay on my SD card, so we have our own copy! so you've def inspired me!

as for your guy friends, please don't think this is a stereotype(because this is how the 3 gay men i know are), but gay men are MUCH more girly, and often think they need to be treated like princesses ;) lol...and with one, he absolutely refused to acknowledge his birthday(his 30th at that), when he found we wanted a party for him. then he freaked when we said we wouldn't do it if he didn't want one...omg, total drama queen! "omg, what do you MEAN i'm not having a party! it's my 30th birthday, the BLACK birthday, and i'm not getting ANYthing? are you b*tches craaazy or WHAAT?" is exactly what he said...needless to say he got his party...and he got throwin in the pool in his little calvin klein suit too! haha, sometimes, you just shouldn't open your mouth ;)

btw-notfroofy sounds like a great catch ;)

Edited by: Soon2BAPrice on Sep 28, 2009 9:43 PM

lindag33 Posts : 1 Registered: 6/9/10
Posted: Jun 9, 2010 6:36 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

I realize this post is a few months old but just wanted to say thanks for putting up a link to your blog and showing how to make a stand for photo backdrops! I anticipate having the same problem (can't tape things to walls at the venue) so I'm going to be ready if that's the case. It looks fairly easy to make one of these stands but I'll still have my SO do it

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 5:09 AM Go to message in response to: lindag33

SarahSarah Posts : 93 Registered: 10/9/09
Posted: Jun 24, 2010 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

Saying thank you as well!

I've had a DIY photo booth in mind, because photo booth rentals near me are almost $1,000 and theres no way I'm paying that!

I can't wait to make this next year to use! Thanks again!

Posted: Jun 28, 2010 3:28 AM Go to message in response to: SarahSarah

I'm glad it's so useful! Oh, and I don't want to post most of the pictures from the photobooth, out of concern for guest privacy. However, here is one guest who wouldn't mind:

Lemoncakeface Posts : 33 Registered: 11/13/09
Posted: Jun 30, 2010 2:49 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

Hey!! I saw your stuff on OBB

So clever!

musicalbride Posts : 2 Registered: 8/24/10
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

Hi!

Thanks so much for posting up the instructions for making your own photobooth backdrop! I'm getting married next year (March 26!) and was planning on having a photobooth at the reception and seeing the all the planning you put into it, plus the positives and negatives afterwards really helps! I wish you were able to share some of the results though :)

Right now, I'm not sure whether I should try to have one set up by myself or to hire someone. I was at one of my friend's weddings recently and they had hired a photobooth company (http://www.mebophoto.com) that did a really great job. There were no problems, they had a lot of props, and it looked like everyone had a fun time. And since my friend referred me, they offered me 10% off.

So my question for you is, after having gone through doing it all yourself, with a final cost of around $200 (what did you end up doing with all the stuff you got?!) would you do it again? I don't have the professional lighting gear that you had available to borrow and, with 10% off, I'm looking at paying around $670 (I'm looking at their package that includes printouts) to not have to worry about anything going wrong. I LOVE your idea about making some props, like the speech bubbles and mustaches, but I'm worried about the bigger things not working out (like the lighting and the camera and printer). Would you say its worth it? :)

Thanks so much in advance! (if you happen be ok with sharing some pictures from your photobooth by email, that would be so appreciated!)

Posted: Aug 24, 2010 10:47 PM Go to message in response to: musicalbride

If you let me know your e-mail using the form at this link, I'd be happy to send you some photos.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine