Young Bride Friendly Chit Chat

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22

klmhek Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/09
Young Bride Friendly Chit Chat
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 9:03 AM

I went to the "A Friendly Forum for Young Brides" page to post until I realized there were 4141 replies and over 270 pages.. So I decided to start one of my own!

I'm newish on the boards so I thought this would be a good way to get to know other young brides. So tell me all about you, your fiance, your wedding, your ring, your colors, your problems.. ANYTHING!

My name is Katie, I'm 20, but will be 21 when I get married. My fiance and I have been together for almost 7 years.. (We started young lol!) We just got engaged about 2 weeks ago, so I honestly haven't done any planning besides picking a possible date.. May 21, 2009. There are so many details in just the date alone. I didn't know that would be so stressful! I always figured that would be the easiest.

Since its in the spring, I plan to have an outdoor wedding on one of my future husband's family farms that overlooks the water. Weather allowing of course. We do have a backup plan.

I'm so mixed up about the colors I want. I can't decided. And although many people have told me to not have SET colors and to use whatever colors I want.. I'm too anal and I want a definite thee throughout the entire wedding! So I'm contemplating coral/turquoise, navy/light pink, navy/yellow, or a peacock theme..

Okay post away! I want to know it all about YOU :)

LoverForever Posts : 20 Registered: 8/24/08
Re: Young Bride Friendly Chit Chat
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hi!

My name is Ali and I'm getting married this May (let's all hope for good weather lol) Our story is similar to yours because we started dating at 15 and have been together for over 5 and a half years now :-)

My FH's parents are letting us host the wedding in their backyard, which isn't really big, but should be large enough to accomodate the 165 people we are inviting! I have five bridesmaids and they are all going to wear different colors (blue, yellow, green, pink and purple) in a pastel shade, but all dresses will be satin material and floor length... But the central "theme colors" will be a light green and ivory. I am planning on planting alot of flowers and stuff for the "decor" lol. the feel of the wedding is simple and classy- i'm going for the "twilight garden party" effect as the ceremony won't begin until 6 o'clock.

I found really neat mini watering cans i'm using for favors, i'm going to fill them with pastel colored m&ms. i also bought personalized matches and napkins from theknot.com - both are ivory with silver foil writing.

my center pieces are perhaps my favorite thing about the wedding- except my dress which is my mother's old wedding gown :-) I bought a bunch of different colored glass bottles from a craft store last spring and i am planning on putting 4 or 5 stems of different color gerber daisies in each bottle.

You've got plenty of time to plan, since your date is in 2011. but i like your idea of a coral/turquoise or peacock theme. think about where you would want to incorporate such colors-- just in the decor? the bridesmaid dresses? of maybe the napkins and linens too? lol so many decisions!

thanks for starting a post :-) i look forward to hearing more of your ideas about your wedding!!

*Ali

Live, Love and Laugh

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hi this is a cool thread I like the idea so here I go I guess! I'm T.A. (don't make fun it is my initials and I realize they are somewhat suggestive) My FH is 20 I am 21. We were planning on getting married on our 3-year, April 14, 2010 but we can't afford that so we have to push the date back. We're thinking 4th of July but nothing is decided yet. We're going to try to book Wrigley Field or somewhere else in Chicago because we love it there. That's it for now. Keep posting guys I wanna know all the fun details!
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hi, Ladies! This IS a cool thread! :) Thanks for starting it!

Well... my relationship with my FH is a bit different than all of yours. I am 24, and he is 25. We met just under two years ago in a class we had together - we are both Geography nerds. :)

To elaborate, I had recently (under 6 months) ended (for good, this time!!) a relationship with my ex of around six years. We dated in HS and through most of college, but I always felt like there was something missing. Long story short, I took an six month internship in New Zealand, completely found myself and realized he was totally not right for me. I had one year of school left and had accepted an amazing full time position working at the place in NZ that I had my internship at. All I had to do was graduate... simple enough, right?

FH and I went on our first date the day after Christmas in 2007 and have literally been inseperable ever since. Things started getting really serious, and I realized I had a life changing decision to make - the amazing job in the best place on Earth, or the guy who I had only been dating for a few months who I had totally fallen for?

Needless to say, I chose FH and never looked back. It was the best decision I have ever made! Our wedding (6/25/10) is going to be pretty small (under 50 people) on a Friday evening at a vineyard in WI. It's going to have a pretty 'chill' atmosphere, which is what we are all about. The following day/evening we will be having the reception/huge bash in my parents' back yard. We are SUUUPER pumped for both days!

The only bad thing we have run into is the small guest list for our ceremony. We have both always wanted a really small and intimate ceremony, rather than everyone and their best friend, uncle and cousin invited, and some people just don't understand. For example, I have relatives (my mom's family is huuuuuuuuge) who i haven't seen in literally ten years and have never really been close with at all, who are pissed off that they aren't going to be invited to the ceremony. ugh. Other than that, everything is peachy-keen and we have been having a blast planning! We have most of the major things set in stone, but there's always something to be working on.

Anyway, I am looking forward to chit-chatting with you girls about wedding stuff and whatever else! Yay! Have a great weekend, everyone! :)

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. 

~Dr. Seuss

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 5:02 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hello! I'm Caitlin and I'm 20...I'll be 21 in October, but I'll be a few days shy of my birthday when I get married next year.

We are planning a fall-themed wedding to be held at my FMIL's house. They live in the country and have a huge, flat front yard that we are going to use for both the ceremony and the reception. We are planning on renting Port-o-Potties so people don't have to walk up the hill to the house just to go to the bathroom.

Other than that, a lot of the big details still need to be nailed done, although I'm fairly positive that we know what vendors we want to go with, as long as we can get them booked soon!

Congrats & Happy Planning, everyone!

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding planning guide

My planning blog: 

http://michaelandcaitlinforever.blogspot.com/

SHC2010 Posts : 14 Registered: 7/29/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 8:53 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hello!! I'm 21, turning 22 in December. My FH is 24. Our families met at church when I was 2 and a half so we've known eachother pretty much all our lives. We were never really friends though until I came to the college he was already attending. We started dating my junior year.

We're tentatively planning a summer wedding. My colors are turquoise blue/teal and orange/yellows. We're getting married in my church and the 'reception' will be very unstructured and informal. I'm planning on having different desserts out on tables in the foyer of the church(it's a very large, nice looking foyer so it won't be cramped at all) and having people just mingle and visit for awhile. Our siblings will be the wedding party. I'm hoping to do almost everything on my own. My aunt has some experience planning weddings so I'm sure she'll guide me if I have any problems. I feel like there's no more planning left for me to do until we set a date and I can book the church and photographer!

One of the big things we're unsure of still is the size of the guest list. Our preliminary list is over 200 people, but quite a few aren't local and probably won't be able to travel. I've got time to whittle it down though so I'm not worried.

I love hearing everyone else's plans!! Congrats everyone!

Posted: Sep 26, 2009 8:04 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

nice to meet yall!

fyi, i'm so jealous of you girls who are doing the whole backyard wedding thing. i wish either of our parents had pretty or big enough back yards to have a wedding in.. :( someone in his family does have a huge home that has been passed down through their family and a gorgeous yard over the water.. but he says that in the summertime mosquitoes are terrible. so we kind of don't want to risk that.

futuremrsbabler- i love your idea of having the small wedding one day and the reception the next. doing that might actually solve all of my problems! i personally don't want a huge ceremony. having just our familes and our absolute closest friends would be the idea wedding to me.. but my fh is so worried about offending people that we don't invite. he's a firefighter, so he feels he needs to invite all of the guys in his fire company and their familes. and then all his dad's college friends that he grew up with.. and his mom's friends.. which is fine.. but when i picture my actual wedding, i just want familes! and my mom mentioned having a small wedding, and a big reception following the ceremony and invite everyone to that.. but it seemed kind of mean to invite people to the reception an hour after the wedding that they didn't get invited too.. LOL.. but having it the next day seems perfect! i already mentioned it to my family and they love the idea. so yay! (athough my fh says he just wants to get on the honey moon asap haha)

SHC2010- i know exactly how you feel about the whole date thing. although we have picked a tentative date, may 21 2011, we're not sure about it. because of my school schedule there are only certain times where it is possible for us to get married.. and that's only because i have month long breaks between each semester. so there's mid december-mid january, and mid may-mid june. and since i couldn't see having a wedding right after christmas.. may was my only choice and i just picked the least-controversial date.. so right now that's what we're telling people but we're not a hundred percent sure.. so we can't actually book anything. its annoying! i feel like until we have the date set in stone, no other planning can really happen. :( and i agree, im going to do all the planning myself, besides my sisters help.

are any of you planning to hire a wedding planner??

save the date

LoverForever Posts : 20 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Sep 26, 2009 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Katie,

I too understand what you mean by not having a set date. In fact, we had originally planned on getting married in january, then september, then april!!! And finally we ended up in May lol but i guess alot of that had to do with our budget. January is our normal date- when we started going out-- and even tho it's the "off-season" for wedding, hall rentals were still pricey for us. September seemed nice too, but when we decided we def wanted to have an outdoor wedding in his parents backyard we knew spring would be better. And it rains too much in April lol. hooray for May! ;-)

Althought it may be a few months before you finalize your exact date, take advantage of this time to research possible vendors. There are SO many photographers, DJs, florists, etc out there! And it won't neccessarily be an easy task narrowing down quantity vs quality, who's available when, who you like (very important!!), and what fits your budget! :-) Thankfully I didn't have to learn this the hard way since i totally have OCD when it comes to planning haha ;-)

Caitlyn,

I am renting porta potties at my wedding too LOL Though my guests and family won't have to face a hill to get to the normal restrooms, my FMIL has expressed to me that having 165 people running into her house to use the bathroom is insane :-P And I quite agree with her!

I found some really nice ones at mrjohn.com-- the nicer ones even have running water and air conditioning! We are going to rent two because the "rule of thumb" one for every 100 people... i think, or something like that... it's nice tho cuz they drop it off friday and pick it up monday.

*Ali
Live, Love and Laugh

FutureMrsBabler Posts : 104 Registered: 5/18/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 6:32 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

klmhek: i say, go for it! it's a little unconventional, and i have run into a few bumps in the road (nothing too bad, just a few guests annoyed they aren't invited) but it will be totally worth it! it's your and your FH's day - not anyone else's! if someone does get upset about not getting invited, he or she should get over it by the time your wedding arrives... ya know? if FH isn't buying it, describe to him that you are really getting the best of both worlds - your ceremony will be spent with those who mean most to the two of you and it will be much more meaningful for those who have been invited, and then the following day you can party it up with as many people you want! one of the things i like most about stretching it over two days is that it will last that much longer! i feel like a salesman, but seriously, take it into consideration! :) oh, and about the honeymoon... maybe the two of you could stay in a suite at a nice hotel after the ceremony and then make your way back to wherever you are having the reception the following day... that might be something to tell FH, too! ;) lol

ALL: is anyone DIYing anything? i am doing our bouquettes and boutineirs. this weekend i was going to do a trial run, just to see if i was getting in over my head. they dind't have all the flowers i want to use at the farmer's market (it's getting pretty late in the season up here in WI!) so i bought two dozen yellow long-stem roses and played with them a bit - it's WAY easier than i thought it was going to be! if anyone has been thinking about doing their own flowers, it's not as hard as it looks!

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. 

~Dr. Seuss

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 7:11 PM Go to message in response to: LoverForever

LoverForever, I will definitely check out the company. My FMIL insists that everything is "no problem!" She even wants to set up tables IN the house. My parents are really worried about it being too much of a burden on her...she is used to having a full house, though. FH is one of 7 kids, and FMIL is remarried...at one point they had 10 kids living in that house! Family get togethers are crazy.

FutureMrs, I was planning on DIYing my own flowers, but when Iwas looking at the craft store, I found amazing bouquets that were already made! I ended up getting seven of them for $40. It's not a great picture, but I'm holding two of them. They were a good size individually for the BMs, but the large versions they had were soooo overpowering we decided to put two together. We're going to add some things (I'm thinking feathers) and rewrap the stems to give them a little uniqueness.

I'm planning on doing my own flowers for the centerpeices, if I end up using any. I'm not a flower person, really, and I hate/am really allergic to bees, and since October can be hell for bees in Indiana, I don't want to have real ones. If I do I will probably just find whatever is seasonal at the supermarket that week. :) I did bouttenieres for prom in high school, so I will probably make those, too. I found some cute little "vases" for bouts that have safety pins on them and the flower just sits inside.

I really want to have centerpieces like this, but with something inside the upside-down vases. I love the candles, but they're flameless...and the whole centerpiece came around to like, $45 each. Ridiculous! Maybe I will find similar, cute, real candles somewhere.

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding planning guide

My planning blog: 

http://michaelandcaitlinforever.blogspot.com/

Colelle Posts : 48 Registered: 6/21/09
Posted: Oct 5, 2009 7:13 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hey all! I'm 21 yrs old (turn 22 in April) and my fiance just turned 26. I'm graduating from college this spring, hoping to land a job by that time lol. I met my fiance as a freshman during a psychology experiment I was running. We didn't start dating until a year later, and he told me from the start that he intended to marry me. :)

I was torn at first with the wedding planning...we're doing Weekend to Remember, are going through premarital counseling and have gone through numerous marriage advice and counseling books to help prepare us ffor married life, so we're just now starting to think of the actual wedding. My parents would prefer we put the wedding off another year or two, and we have taken their concerns into consideration but decided that getting married next summer was what was best for -us-. Sooo our projected date is July 10, 2010.

My family is pressuring me to put it off and save up for a 'nice wedding' and his family would be happy with a potluck in a backyard lol. My fiance doesn't want to spend very much money at all on the wedding (we intend to pay for it all ourselves) and at first didn't think we should even have food and that guests could "eat before they come because it's about us not about them being lavished on!".

I came up with a brilliant plan to balance it all though and I'm very excited. I want the wedding in the late afternoon (4 to 5pm ish) at my church outdoors.(if the weather is bad we could move it indoors) Our church property has 30 acres of beautiful fields with the mountains in the distance where I'd like to set up the ceremony. The reception would actually be in our church because it is big enough and has a great sound/music system. Our pastor said he would not charge us anything to have our wedding and reception there (of course we'll give a church donation anyway) and we could use their chairs and tables. My best friend's dad is a dj and is willing to do it for free or for a super reduced rate (and he's well known in my city!).

My fiance and I love cooking and eating French food and intend to go to France for our honeymoon...so I decided on a French themed wedding! Colors will be green, yellow/green, white, and turqoise (for a nice pop of color). The colors will be more like this: http://www.onewed.com/files/images/1038422/featured-wedding-bouquet-centerpiece-earrings-white-green-blue-yellow.JPG
We'll play romantic kind of cafe French music and have a French menu.

My fiance wants to make croissants and chocolate truffles (he makes them sooo well and knows how to plan ahead to make enough) from scratch, and fruit and French cheeses. We'll be serving our favorite 2 wines to go with all the food (this will be the most expensive part of the wedding itself), and bagettes. The main course will be homemade French onion soup (also to be made by the Fiance, what can I say he loves to cook! Plus he wants to have something to do since he won't be helping with the planning). For the kids we'll have sparkling juice instead of wine.

We'll also order some jars of French candies for decoration (as well as snacking of course) and we'll hand make most of the decorations and buy the invitations cheap from Michaels, and I want fake flowers (I'm in love with daisies at the moment). My fiance is super excited now and is cooking up a storm lately practicing his culinary skills. I'm cutting a lot of corners to keep costs down, but I think the set up will be elegant and nobody will guess! My cousin is brilliant at decorating so I'm employing her help in that area.

Nice to look at other ladies' ideas as well! :)

soontobeaBoden Posts : 8 Registered: 8/26/09
Posted: Oct 6, 2009 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

This was such a good idea for a thread. I was intimidated by the other young brides forum as well. Ha.

There are so many of you that are marrying your high school sweethearts!!! That's so romantic. Mine's a little different I think but also pretty reflective of our personalities.

My FH and I have actually known one another for about 10 years. (Since high school.) I'm 24 and he's 25. It was sort of a funny situation where we were best friends who CLEARLY were not interested in dating one another. He was kind of a weird hippie with dreadlocks and I died my hair black and hung out with a goth crowd but for some strange reason we had a lot in common and were both very accepting of one another, which is pretty refreshing in high school, ha! He was also on the BC Snowboard Team so he was traveling a lot (in Europe and South America) and I moved around in Vancouver, BC for quite a while but we kept in touch over the years and then 2 years ago he moved back to Vancouver to "meet babes". (To quote him.) We'd both gotten haircuts and wardrobe make-overs since our school days, don't worry. We were hanging out quite a lot and after a year I broke up with my then loser boyfriend and about a month later we realized we were perfect for one another. On our one year dating anniversary he proposed (actually the day before, because he bought the ring and decided he couldn't wait anymore.) and we're getting married on August 8th, 2010!!! YAY!

It was easy to make decisions for our wedding because our theme is favorites. Our favorite colors are orange (mine) and yellow (his) so those are our colors with white accents. My girls will be in burnt orange bridesmaid dresses and the guys will all have yellow ties and pocket squares. I'll have yellow accesories (shoes and a bright yellow orchid in my hair) and my FH is going to wear an orange tie with an orange pocket square. (We thought that would be a neat idea.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jwGBQc597EU/SZKbK9dH6mI/AAAAAAAACDc/qeky9wDErW4/s400/bright_orange_bridesmaid_dress.jpghttp://blog.purebylindsey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/groomsmen.jpg

My bouquet is going to be made up of orange gerbera daisies (my favorite flower), white orchids (his favorite flower) and sunflowers to add in some yellow.

http://mygoodfairy.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/yellow-orange-sunflower-gerbera-daisy-rose-bridesmaids-bouquet.jpghttp://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0019159/large_image.jpg

We're also asking our family members to include something in their wardrobes to show which side of the family they are on. :)

Our venue is the Prestige Hotel in Salmon Arm, BC (in the middle of wine country, SO BEAUTIFUL!) and the ceremony is taking place in a park with a gazebo right across from the hotel.)

Our centrepieces are oranges and lemons in glass vases surrounded by candles in different kinds of candle holders (from the dollar store to save on costs, but they look really cool) and our favours are citrus peelers with our names and the wedding date stickered onto the handles with little gelatin candies attatched. They are super cute.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2009_01_09-citruscenterpiece1.jpghttp://www.jaydeeliving.co.uk/images/productimages/Citrus%20peeler%20and%20zester.jpg

I just found my dress!!! I can't believe it. I'm pretty low maintenace so I didn't want anything spectacular. No beading or anything like that, and I was GOING to go with a simple white dress that had a small flower accent on the side with straps, but THEN I tried on a cheaper and MUCH more glamourous Anjolique dress and I had to get it. I'm going to wear a crinoline underneath to make it extra big and it's got a pretty extensive train, which makes it the opposite of what I THOUGHT I was looking for but I completely fell in love with it when I tried it on.

My FH also let slip that he thought I should really go all out as far as the dress is concerned. After all, we're only getting married once. Ha. And since the price was WAY better than the simpler dress I was looking at I was sold. (This dress is about $1050.) I'm a very lucky girl. Ha.

All we really have left to do is pick a DJ. We're hoping to find someone in Salmon Arm but our choices are limited since it's such a small town. But we're keeping our fingers crossed.

I'm hoping to really get all of the big things out of the way early on so that we can spend more time picking out the smaller (but usually more time consuming) things, like renting chairs and finding all of the fabric for chair covers and reception hall decorations. I can't wait!!!

I love all of the ideas here! :)
planning a wedding

Posted: Oct 10, 2009 11:43 AM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Okay girls.. I've changed my date again!! lol I just found out that my school's nursing program wont be offering summer classes (which I was planning to take) so I actually have the summertime for a wedding now! So although an official DATE hasn't been chosen.. June 2011 is OFFICIAL! Sooooo excited :)

How's everyone else's planning going???
save the date

jeaniebelle87 Posts : 137 Registered: 11/23/07
Posted: Oct 10, 2009 4:13 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hi all! I'm Jeanie, and my FH is Eddie. We've been dating since we were in 8th grade, so for, gosh, eight years now! We did the long-distance thing for our four years of undergraduate school while he was at the University of Minnesota and I was at New York University. This summer he made the big move out East to CT where we're both attending school now! (He's working on a masters in English Literature and I'm starting my law degree at Yale). We're getting married on May 21st, 2010 (a bit unconventional, as it's a Friday evening) in MN. So far we've booked our site, which is the Mill City Museum and I've got my dress. I've also picked flowers, and started planning the menu with our caterer, but I still have lots of time! If you're bored and have some free time, I made a wedding website, and Eddie's been blogging, although that's mostly a bit embarrassing (the blog, not the website). It's www.jeanieandeddieswedding.brides.com
Anyways, it's nice to meet you all! :) Now I should get back to work, as I have about 600 pages to read for my con law class! ugh!

kogyaru Posts : 4 Registered: 3/13/08
Posted: Oct 11, 2009 6:10 PM Go to message in response to: klmhek

Hey, guys. Congrats to everyone!

It took FOREVER to set a date for my fiance & I. We've been from Sept. '07, to 06/07/08, to 08/29/09, to the now FINAL date of 7/24/10. We've only been toegther since 05/20/06, but we'd actually known each other for 2 years by then. We've been pushing the date back because of money issues, but we finally feel in a stable enough place to seal the deal.

Our colors are Sky Blue & Bubblegum Pink w/ touches of ivory here & there to match my gown. We're having a larger wedding (close to 300 guests) w/ a sort of Victorian Elegance theme going on. We're going to have faux flowers in order to save on costs & because my fiance's aunt is a whiz at arranging the things & has offered to do them for free. Also, I'm an allergy sufferer, as is he & most of our families. Since we're getting married at a Southern Baptist church there will be no need for a DJ or anything (not my choice, but it is his and I respect his religious views). I'm having 11 bridesmaids, and he has 7 groomsmen-it'll be a little lopsided I suppose, but there's nothing wrong with that. _ Our centerpieces, along with mine & my maids bouquets will be a mixture of ivory & blush pink roses & peonies. And I've FINALLY decidee on my dress-it's a Kenneth Pool gown, Ava to be exact.

http://kennethpool.com/gallery/071207/k285.shtml

I can't wait to be his Mrs.! Again, congrats everyone! _

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine