Do I Go With Him Or Wait For The Proposal?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Do I Go With Him Or Wait For The Proposal?
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 12:20 PM

Hello Ladies!
I'm looking for some advice. My boyfriend and I have been to the jewelers twice in the past month looking at engagement rings- a week ago he then went back by himself & put money down on a diamond that he thought I would like. When we went to look at it together, I thought it was overpriced for the quality, but we kept the deposit on that stone while they looked for something with better quality yet same price (Internet deal but if found in a store the price stays). The jeweler mentioned to us that at the end of November, the regional manager will be coming to the store & giving amazing discounts on engagement rings specifically. My boyfriend asked if I wanted to go with him or be surprised with what he picks.
I know that he is going to pick the shape & the setting that I want but I LOVE trying on those beuaitufl rings! Should I go with him or stay home & be surprised when he actually proposes? All advice is much appreciated! Thank you ladies!

SpideyBridey Posts : 66 Registered: 5/17/09
Re: Do I Go With Him Or Wait For The Proposal?
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 2:10 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Be surprised

Daisypath Wedding tickers

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Surprised? You've gone ring shopping, you know what he's picking, and you're committed to being married. How is this a surprise? Do whatever makes you feel happy. I, personally, would go along and put the ring on right in the jewelry store, then jump up and down with delight while everyone around applauds and shares our happiness--but, that's me. Do what's right for you.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

klmhek Posts : 27 Registered: 9/23/09
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:34 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I'd say be surprised.. especially since he sort of knows what you want. my FH and i went ring shopping a few times, just so he would know what i liked, but he told me over and over that it wouldn't be any time soon. so by the time he actually went and bought the ring and gave it to me i WAS completely surprised! but anyway..

he picked the ring out on his own, and didn't buy either the ones i picked out. which in the long run meant so much more to me because HE picked it out and it WAS a surprise.

trying on rings is pretty fun, and since you'll be wearing that ring for the rest of your life, i understand wanting to pick out exactly what you want, but trust me.. the fact that he picks it out, makes it so much more special :) i LOVE my ring because of the fact that he did it all on his own :)
save the date

jmd22 Posts : 125 Registered: 7/17/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Wait for the "surprise." My fiance and I had gone to try on some rings, so that he could get a general idea of what I liked and what looked good on my hand, but I didn't want to know anything else about it. He ended up custom designing my ring, and when he proposed, it was nice to have that moment of surprise when I first looked at the ring. I'm glad I didn't know exactly what the ring looked like beforehand.

Stephy77 Posts : 109 Registered: 9/2/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: jmd22

In my case the proposal was a suprise and then we picked the ring together and I liked that. For me I really liked being involved in the process. No matter what you choose Congrats & Enjoy!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 9:41 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I went with my FH to look at rings and he bought one right there and then :) I say that either way, if you go with your man or if you don't go it will still be exciting. Even though I knew what my ring looked like the day that he decided to give it to me I felt like I have never seen it before! So either way I think it will be a surprise :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

LoverForever Posts : 20 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: CheetahAngel

my FH was so insecure and paranoid about getting an engagement ring so i made him a deal lol.
i said that i would go with him and pick out the ring but he would have to MAKE SURE the proposal was a surprise haha.( we had talked about getting engaged for awhile since we are so young)

as it turns out, i bought HIS ring before we went to look for mine, then i had my ring custom made to compliment his ring :-) the fun part was that because my ring was custom made i didn't know when it would be ready to pick up from the store, so when he proposed it WAS a surprise after all!!

everyone is different, just do whatever makes you happiest! :-P
Live, Love and Laugh

Mdwstbabe83 Posts : 10 Registered: 8/12/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 9:47 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

I went with my boyfriend to pick out a ring...I wanted to pick it out because I will be wearing that ring for the rest of my life. If nothing else, you can pick out a few of your most favorites that you can't decide on and let him make the final decision...that way when you get it you won't be disappointed. Although, mine was custom, so I ABSOLUTELY love it. I am not engaged yet, but am eagerly anticipating the day he proposes. I do know how much fun that can be though.
Enjoy your special day, because it's your perfect day to reflect on your love for each other!

jellybean91908 Posts : 216 Registered: 2/9/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 10:27 PM Go to message in response to: Mdwstbabe83

I went ring shopping with my FH because he basically had no idea. I was sure I wanted a multi-stone ring. When I tried them on, they all looked awful to me. We wrote down a couple of the nicer ones and went home. We went back a couple of weeks later and looked at solitaires. We again wrote a few down. Over the next two weeks, we decided on a marquise-cut solitaire in white gold.

He went to the jewelry store with his mom to purchase the ring. I have no idea when he did this. He did not buy any of the rings we had picked out together. Even though it was a marquise-cut solitaire in white gold, I felt like I had never before seen the ring.

I initially wanted to pick it out with him since I would have to wear it the rest of my life. I soon realized that I was constantly second-guess myself about what I liked and didn't want to worry about whether or not I'll love the ring for the rest of my life. Not picking it out, totally, in the end gave him the final say and gives me peace of mind - I love my ring. It's not what I initially thought I wanted, but I get so many compliments on how "us" the ring is.

There are pros and cons to shopping together and being surprised, but don't worry that you won't be surprised if you do know what kind of ring you're getting before hand.

Future Mrs. Millington

wedding planning guide

My planning blog: 

http://michaelandcaitlinforever.blogspot.com/

Soon2BAPrice Posts : 50 Registered: 4/7/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 10:53 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

my fh could never propose...i ALWAYS messed it up...to the point, where he just gave me the ring...and we were fine with that...just recently, i lost it, and rather than go through the $ process again, and since i'm not really a diamond person anyways, i just purchased a cz ring online...heck, he hasn't even seen it lol...but that's just us...and it works for us...

it's to each his own...find out what he thinks...maybe he really does want to surprise you...but maybe he really wants you with him...

http://www.weddingcountdown.com">
http://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/lpc6fwuqa.png" alt="wedding planning guide">

link=http://www.weddingcountdown.com
img noborderhttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/lpc6fwuqa.png[/img]
[/link]

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 11:02 AM Go to message in response to: Mdwstbabe83

Thank you ladies! I will talk to him about it & see what his opinion is, I have a feeling that I'm going to hear 'If you want to come & pick out your e-ring then you should', then the ball is back in my court. Geez. All great advice though, so I'm sure everything will workout wonderfully!

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

A-line Gold Halter Sweetheart Drape Beaded Open Back Prom Dress With Sweep Train
Save up to 16% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $168.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-gold-halter-sweetheart-drape-beaded-open-back-prom-dress-with-sweep-train-p-31800.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine