I'm afraid I hate my dress. Eek!

Online Users: 1,319 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 17

DaisyKA Posts : 4 Registered: 9/22/09
I'm afraid I hate my dress. Eek!
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 1:30 AM

Hi there!

I'm new to this board and also newly engaged! Hi everyone! So, here is my dilemma....My wedding is a year away and yesterday I went to a Sample Sale at Priscilla's of Boston and bought a beautiful, vintage-esque, lace Melissa Sweet gown for about 55% off the normal price (hooray)! However, it is completely different than what I ever thought I would get. It also was the first time I went dress shopping and only the 7th or 8th dress I tried on. My mom and future MIL were with me and my dad came to see the dress after it was on. It was a huge hit with my family and with all of the people in the shop. I loved it, but now, 24 hours and a chunk of change later, I am freaking out, b/c I think I hate the dress. I initially wanted a long, bohemian and free flowing dress. The one I bought (although pretty), is form fitting, all over lace, subtle beading and just so different from what I thought I'd get. Oh No! What do I do? Has anyone gone through this or have any suggestions of how to carry on...

Many many many many thanks!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Re: I'm afraid I hate my dress. Eek!
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

Two choices:

1 put that dress on and remember how amazing you look in it. We all have an idea of what we want, and sometimes the dress itself meets none of those expectations but is still absolutely perfect. You obviously felt amazing in that dress when you tried it on. If you did not, you wouldn't have bought it.

2. List it on bravobride.com when you sell it, go buy another.

And maybe if you look at it like "If it sells, I was meant to get another, and if it doesn't, then this really is my dress and we were meant to be together" you'll be more happy with it.

But unless you can afford a second dress without selling the first, you're pretty much stuck with it (sorry). And also, you're not likely to get your full investment back, unless you're really lucky. Now, you DID get it at a deep discount, so listing it at what you paid might get it for you.

Good luck. But still, put that dress back on first. You may fall in love with it all over again

Misty

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 10:30 AM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

Post of pic of you wearing it!

Cat has a good idea. Remember what it was about the dress that made you love it enough to buy it. Is it the style of dress you are unsure of or is the fit on you? Does it change the style of your wedding? Were you planning a casual bohemian wedding or do you just prefer that look on you?

Posting it for sale is an option. You may get some takers and then have some funds (maybe not all that you spent) to purchase another gown. But, what if you sell it and then don't find the bohemian gown of your dreams and you'll have to start the process all over again? But, you do have plenty of time to find another dress.

I swayed back and forth with my choices too; afraid to spend the money and then hate the gown later. I originally wanted a no nonsense gown with a tight fitting top and a skirt filled with a few pick ups. However, my mom liked the lace so I tried one on to appease her. I fell in love with a form fitting lace Mori Lee!! Total opposites! But I wasn't so crazy about the silver embellishment since my wedding is gold, so I'm having my seamstress make the gown for me.

I think most brides start out with one idea of what their dream dress is and then they end up finding a ton of gorgeous dresses that look fantastic on them and the decision is hard. Without that 'ta da' feeling it's difficult to know if you made the right choice. Have you asked FH about it? I know some ladies don't like the idea of letting FH see the gown, but if you aren't superstitious this might help you feel better about your choice. I let my FH see a pic of the Mori Lee dress I selected and it helped solidify my decision. However, he has only seen a pic of the dress on the hanger and not actually on me. He'll probably forget what it looks like in the next 6 months anyway!

Good Luck making a decision :)

Not all who wander are lost

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

Thank you so much for the responses- your advice is so so so helpful. Here are some images of me in the dress. The quality is a little bit blurry-my apologies. I guess I just was going to plan a country/bohemian themed wedding and thought this would through off all of my plans. I've also never been fond of sweetheart necklines (on myself) so I started to freak. My wedding is going to be in an old 1878 mansion that has been restored, so maybe this will work just fine.

What do you think?

(THANKS IN ADVANCE LADIES!!!!)

happydefiant1 Posts : 223 Registered: 7/9/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

I like the dress!! The more I look at it, the more I like it. But, I may be partial because I ended up loving the lace look when I wasn't sure I would. I do think this will fit nicely with the restored mansion setting and it does have a country/bohemian vibe. It is also elegant and classy. I especially like the bodice embellishment and the mermaidy bottom. The lacey frayed part on the bodice coordinates well with the country/bohemian theme and I think the sweetheart neckline is flattering on you. I also am not usually fond of it, but I think it looks nice. The dress is different than the traditional princess gowns out there that many brides choose which makes me adore your dress even more. Did you order it or purchase off the rack? If you have it now, maybe try putting it on again and seeing how it makes you feel. If I had mine, I would be putting it on all the time :) I hope you grow to love yours, but if not, you can always try to sell it.

Not all who wander are lost

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

I think it is beautiful. You wear it, not the other way around. It looks lovely on you!

I have a Celtic themed wedding...but I am not wearing a Renaissance dress.

You are the bride. You can wear whatever you want. That's the rule <G> Have your bohemian wedding. You'll still be absolutely perfect in that dress.

Misty

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 5:40 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Honestly, I think the dress is very pretty, unique, lovely, and that it fits your body great and you look gorgeous in it. However, what is most important is that YOU feel pretty in it.

Maybe you were expecting one thing, got another, and then sort of freaked out which led you to feelings of not liking the dress? I think this is possible, and that you should do nothing right now. You have a year. Wait this out awhile. A couple weeks, a month ... if you still hate the dress at that point, then consider your options, getting something else, etc. I have a feeling you will like it more and more as time goes by and you let go of what you were expecting vs. the true beauty of the dress. Its really pretty!

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

i think it looks really nice on you! and i also think it would fit into your theme very well. i think all the lace makes it look "country".

its nice

june12bride Posts : 9 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

I think that dress is beautiful, and you look amazing! I also think the dress would fit into your plans and venue. Maybe just take some time and soak on it for a little bit. You still have time to make your decision, and I'm sure whether you keep this dress or not you will look beautiful!

mrscreamer2be Posts : 153 Registered: 6/14/09
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 1:51 AM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

The dress is very pretty and looks great on you! I too bought my dress at a sample sale and then had second thoughts because it was the first dress I tried on and I only tried about 4 after that. I now know that I fell in love with my dress for a reason and that "oh my, this is it" moment did happen. See how you feel about it later. You may be surprised that you too picked out this dress for a reason. Good luck!

NL2010 Posts : 108 Registered: 6/27/09
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: mrscreamer2be

I think that your dress is beautiful!!

My planning blog: http://my1000dollarwedding.blogspot.com/

brownegirl Posts : 523 Registered: 10/14/08
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: NL2010

The dress is lovely! I think we always have dress remorse after buying a dress, I know I did. I also freaked out when I saw my dress on the hanger, I had had to order it in and it looked so plain! The PP is right, you make the dress, the dress does not make you. Trust your first instinct.

That which does not kill us, only makes us stronger. Innocent

Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People

JMH09 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/28/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

I also think it is so pretty on you. The only thing is do you think its pretty? when it comes down to it do you want to look back on your wedding day and say "oh I really didn't like my dress" Now I know if I were in your shoes I would not want to upset my family because they were with me when I got the dress. So I think I would Wear this one for the cermoney and get one with our a train for the Reception. And if you change half way through your pictures you could have some done with the second dress.

Jamie

Oh will next year never come

Bride-to-be10/17/09

JJsWifey08 Posts : 272 Registered: 12/5/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: DaisyKA

I love lace dresses and this one is very pretty. It looks niced on you and I love the details
wedding countdownDaisypath Anniversary Years Ticker
http://www.mywedding.com/thejosephs

Plunger Of the Offended in P.O.O.P~"People Offended by Offended People"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine