Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4

ZydecoBride Posts : 3 Registered: 6/14/09
Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 12:55 PM

Okay ladies, I could use some opinions here! Something New and Blue are pretty easy for me (New: dress and Blue: garter or shoes), but I am looking for as many options as I can for the something Old and something Borrowed. Please let me know what fun/unique ideas you guys have!!
And if you have anything else fun for New and Blue go ahead and put them down too!!
Thanks, Brides!!!

anfeesgirl Posts : 25 Registered: 1/25/09
Re: Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue...
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: ZydecoBride

i definately agree with the blue shoes. im doing that too. as for old/borrowed, maybe some jewelry, like a family member letting you wear a vintage necklace or earrings. maybe also a hankerchief(spelling?) could work as old. thats what my mother did. granted, she got married 25 years ago, but it could still work! i have no idea what im doing either, still exploring all options. hope that helps!

Amy...

On October 9th, 2010, I will be Mrs. Anthony J. Fiore!

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 5:50 PM Go to message in response to: anfeesgirl

-my something new is my dress.

-something blue will be a handmade tag that will get sewen into my dress with our names and date on it! (www.etsy.com has them). I will also have a blue garter that is a METS baseball theme garter! (it just happens to be blue, so i will double up. lol)

-something old will be a hankercheif that my FMIL carried on her wedding day

-something borrowed will most likely be my MOH's headpiece that she wore for her wedding. I still have to see if it looks good on me, goes with my hair, with the dress, etc. So, if that doesnt work out...im not sure what my something borrowed will be

Some other ideas could be:
a piece of borrowed jewelry (if it was old jewelry, that would make borrowed and old), one poster on this site said she was going to be walking down the aisle to her parents song as her something borrowed! (i thought that was super cute!) i guess tradition states that this something borrowed should be from a person who is married, so their happy marriage is passed on to you. it also symbolizes that you can rely on friends and family.

your something blue could be a light blue nail polish on your toes, a piece of jewelry, a small hair pin that has a blue stone on it, a blue ribbon added to your bouquet, and anklet.

i also read something about your something old being an item that you are leaving behind in your single life. maybe a bad habit, or a key to your old place, or something. and, the something new is supposed to represent your new life together, maybe your honeymoon tickets, or a key to your new home, etc. (I like the idea of what is is supposed to represent, but i would NEVER carry my honeymoon tickets on me!!! LOL)

ThistleWeddingP... Posts : 2 Registered: 9/22/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: ZydecoBride

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, silver sixpence in her shoe is the full saying!!!!

For my wedding I had:

Something old - I had a necklace that had passed down from 2 generations. It was really old fashioned so I decided to wear it clipped on to my garter instead.

something new - my dress

something borrowed - a company allowed my to borrow jewellery for the day!!

Something blue - I wore a sash of my family tartan going down the aisle which was blue.

Silver sixpence - was given to me by the shop I bought my dress from and I wore this in my left shoe!!

My wedding pictures can be found at www.thistleweddingplanner.webs.com if you fancy a look!!

Best of luck xx
ThistleWeddingPlanner.webs.com

BeckiSou22 Posts : 65 Registered: 3/27/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: ZydecoBride

Mine were:

Something Old: I had DH's wedding ring that was something old, it was his grandfather's, his grandparents were married on 8-22-46 and the date was engraved on the ring, our wedding was 8-22-09 so we added "-09" at the end of their date ") I also had a hankercheif (sp?) from MIL's best friend that everyone in her family had at their wedding

Something New: My Dress,shoes, lots of things!!

Something Borrowed: My jewelry(my uncle owns a jewelry store and made my ring so he brought me some major bling!) and my sister's veil/headpeice that she wore at her wedding, it was gorgeous and matched my dress perfectly!!

Something Blue: Underwear!!! lol

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine