DIY Projects, pictures! Show Yours!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 49

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Re: DIY Projects, pictures! Show Yours!
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 8:44 AM Go to message in response to: nimnimsgirl

Kc, I think they all look great! I love the jewel on the stem too, very elegant! Job well done

Jream Posts : 157 Registered: 7/29/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 12:20 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

This is a great thread--you girls are making some beautiful things! My fiance and I are making our own invitations and Save-the-Dates, but I'm having issues with my stamps. I have a large stamp with kind of an intricate design, and I have a large stamp pad ("Archival Ink" from Michael's). I have to push really hard on the stamp to get it to cover all of the stamp--otherwise, I have dry spots when I put it on the paper. But even pushing that hard, I still get dry spots, and if I don't, then the ink is too dark. Anyone experienced in the art of stamping have any pointers or preferred brands of ink? I've tried stamping pens, too, but my stamp is too big for me to color the whole thing without one side drying.

I'll post pictures of everything as soon as we're done =)

When is my wedding

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 2:54 PM Go to message in response to: Jream

kc....your stuff looks really nice!! i like your card box! we are doing something like that...we found a chest that is covered in faux leather is a nice floral pattern that is not too feminine for $5! I might add some leaves falling out of the sides, and prop it open. but yours came out great!!! Are you going to a rustic look? cause if so, you could "rough it up" a bit...take some sand paper to some spots, hit it with a chain in others, gouge spots too. it will give it a used/referbished kind of rustic look. (or, just leave it alone ...lol)

Are those flowers real, or fake? they look really good! if i were you, i would just do them yourself, and save the money!

I LOVE your pew flowers!!!!!! they look really, really nice! i am also making cones too. I am going to make them out of birch bark and add some fall colored flowers in them and hang them from the aisle chairs :)

nice job!

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Jream,

Close To My Heart offers ink bottles to reink your stamp pads and get them good and wet for big stamps like that (that sounds dirty, rofl!). I buy all of my papercrafting and scrapbooking items from them.

Check them out: www.closetomyheart.com

My Planning Blog

nimnimsgirl Posts : 28 Registered: 9/19/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 3:45 PM Go to message in response to: Jream

Jream, you might also want to consider lightly sanding your stamp. Uneven inking is a typical problem with large stamps, but lightly sanding the surface of the rubber helps the ink stick to the stamp better, so that you get more even ink cover. And, you don't necessarily need a large ink pad to ink a large stamp. Just place your stamp rubber side up on a table and then dab your ink pad across the stamp until the whole image is inked. I use Stampin' Up! ink, which always works well. Hope that helps!

It's the little things that bring beauty to life...

http://scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com

TheWeddingMaven Posts : 10 Registered: 4/24/09
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 10:48 PM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

A GREAT source for DIY projects!! They do the projects and show you step by step (which I know is not a new concept but...) then do a full review after so before you start the project you know how much it cost, how long it took and the overall level of difficulty all BEFORE you start the project. Just wanted to share with other DIY-minded brides :O)

http://www.diyunveiled.typepad.com

kc3307 Posts : 45 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: Toast

Thanks! The bouquet flowers are real. I just bought them at Sam's. I am thinking of ordering all of my flowers off of there. They are pretty cheap, and the reviews are really good too. Has anyone ever ordered flowers from there before?

The flowers in my cones are fake from Michaels. There are the current fall collection, so they are all 50% off. If you want instructions on how to make them, just let me know! I think they came out to roughly $10-$12 each.

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 11:21 PM Go to message in response to: Angieh81

Angie - you said you bought your invites at target - Im assuming its just those regular packets of blank sheets like that and you just bought a whole bunch or theres DIY kits at target that I dont kno about??lol. How much would you say it ran you total for the invites?

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: kc3307

kc - my cousins wife ordered from Sams and was a very happy bride! Everything was on time and there was no hassle getting evrything right and whatnot. I plan to do the same!

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 9:09 AM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Here is my toss bouquet:

This was a hobby lobby arranged bouquet. I added the ribbon to the handle

and altar decoration

And now... I leave the floral arranging to the pros! Initially, it was supposed to be something different (like, in a vase), but it went a bit haywire, and I ended up with this. It kinda works for me.

Misty

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 9:55 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

Cat, that is beautiful! Wow, you have 3 more days! How exciting! You will have to share pics when you get them.

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 23, 2009 11:12 AM Go to message in response to: kc3307

KC, your bouquet and cones look amazing! You have inspired me to try to make my own! Could you send me the instructions?

SoonToBeMrsDodge Posts : 70 Registered: 2/7/09
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

I could not find any invitations I liked when we were searching for them at all the different places. Online wasn't even helpful because my color scheme was just not very popular (yellow and blue with white daisies and sunflowers). But I just so happened to be walking in Walmart with my MOH and we saw these DIY invites by Martha Stewart and they were absolutely perfect!!! $15 for 20 that includes the invitation, response card and both envelopes was too good to pass up. I bought enough for half my guest list (because mostly everyone were couples or families) and it turned out just perfectly. I changed the font to something I liked better (it was similar) and made it a pretty blue (Dodgers blue actually which I couldn't stop giggling to myself about). I also bought address labels and return address labels and personalized them both to have matching sunflowers (I kept the address label to the guests plain with the same font and used the sunflower address labels for the response envelopes. So everything with our address had a sunflower label).

The CD favors were something I wanted to do from the start. It was the only logical favor I could think of that appealed to me and my husband. Plus, it's the only favor from previous weddings that I actually used and loved! I wanted it to be super personalized so I found monogram stickers that worked with my color scheme and used a beautiful picture of a sunflower field and pretty blue sky for the CD background. We sorted through our favorite love songs and put our first dance song ("Then" by Brad Paisley...I LOVE that song) as number one and the last song the DJ was to play at the end. I wasn't going to do the track list on the inside like I did, but the CD labels I bought had those on the print sheet and I thought "why not" and just did it anyways. I "tied" it all together by buying some pretty blue ribbon from the craft store (because online ribbon had some crazy prices). I cut them long enough to stretch around the CD securing it closed then I put a piece of double-sided tape on the front to hold them in place so I could put the sticker monogram over top to hide the ends. They turned out exactly how I wanted them to. Simple yet pretty and personalized.

If anyone wants to check out photos from my wedding, Our photographer put together a slideshow. Here's the link:

http://www.rachelsmithphoto.com/Dodge/

wedding websites

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Toast Posts : 480 Registered: 9/10/08
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

mrsS2010......they DO have DIY invitation kits at Target!!!!! Lots of them too! i think they had 6 or 8 different ones. :)

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: Sep 27, 2009 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

i'm going to be making these cake plates for our candy buffet!
10718_170909585469_512065469_410851.jpg picture by lildrummergirl6788

and this isn't for my wedding (just a decoration in my appartment) but i thought it'd make a cute centerpiece. It's an old tin tea pot i found at the thrift store. you could use various different ones and i bought the rose making kit by martha stewart at big lots for $2!
10718_170910175469_512065469_410852.jpg picture by lildrummergirl678810718_166647760469_512065469_406119.jpg picture by lildrummergirl6788

Photobucket Photobucket

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine