DIY Projects, pictures! Show Yours!

Online Users: 1,337 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 49

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Re: DIY Projects, pictures! Show Yours!
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 12:21 AM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

any body DIYing their cakes? here's a great site for inspiration! http://www.cakecentral.com/
Photobucket Photobucket

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

Sunny, I love Pat Catan's! That is where I buy most of my stuff! I actually went there last night looking for some branches. I had this vision in my head for centerpieces. I wanted to put some crystals on the branches and then have 3 or 4 in a vase with red roses. I really want to make one to see how it will look! I was all excited but then Pat Catan's did not have any branches that I thought would look good ! Since you are in Ohio too, do you know of anywhere to find branches?

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 8:10 PM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

anyone else DIY invites?? Id love to see pics of that as well as how you did it!! Cat I know you;ve posted your invites so if you get a chance before OR after wedding (ahh!) Id love to hear how you did it!! IM seeeriously considering doing this but dont even know where to start!! And is it really worth it?? I dont know if I can save enough to make it worth my while to not order them instead..lol. I love DIY stuff you ladies are inspiring me here!! :) ...carry on... :)

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 9:32 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

You gals are making me feel accomplished with all your compliments haha! I'm only having a MOH and BM, then my son as ring bearer and daughter as junior bride. very small. The wedding will only have about 50 people. I found my branches on www.afloral.com . I'm doing somethin similar to what you mentioned- branches in a tall vase with feathers. When I get one put together I'll post a pic and then small votives around it on the table. I'm not going to even ATTEMPT to do my own cake though, I'm leaving that one to the pros! I am doing my own STDs, Invitations, and programs. Once I put a sample on together I'll post it! I feel ahead of the game on a lot of these DIY things, but behind on things like deciding on a venue for sure (still have to go check out a few places) and I havent even attempted go try on bridal gowns yet. It makes me super nervous because chances are, I'm going to have to go alone!

nimnimsgirl Posts : 28 Registered: 9/19/08
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Here are the invitations I made for my wedding:

http://www.scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Invitation-Front.jpg

http://www.scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Invitation-page-1.jpg

http://www.scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Invitation-page-2.jpg

I'm actually also doing a weekly post on my blog called Wedding Wednesdays where I pitch ideas for DIY projects for weddings. I did some different invitations today! Here are the pics for that!

http://www.scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Simple-Charming-Wedding-Set-sm.jpg

http://www.scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Gatefold-Charming-Wedding-Set-Open-sm.jpg

I'll be doing posts like this every wednesday on my blog. Maybe you can get some ideas there! Or if you want an idea for anything specific, let me know and I'll experiment for you :D

For details, visit my Scraps of Life blog!

It's the little things that bring beauty to life...

http://scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 9:35 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Ours were really quite simple; we went to Michaels and bought a DIY invite kit.... DO watch what you get though.... reviews I've seen of the Brides (as it Brides.com) invites state that they will not hold inkjet ink. Our invites have a jagged edge, which was the appeal, and they went through our regular laser printer fine.... HOWEVER, we had bought a color laser printer for the invites so that we could get them in precisely the ink color we wanted, and the color laser printer would print two correctly for every three fed in... and I didn't want to waste an entire box.

The ribbons came seperately and we put them in after printing. The kit included: invites, envelopes, rsvp cards, rsvp envelopes. We had gone to Picture Innovations for our engagement photos and did not quite realize how many pictures we ordered. We wanted certain poses, then they handed us an envelope with over 100 wallet photos. First I thought "What am I going to do with 100 wallet photos!?" Then I thought "Invitations!" So everyone got a picture of us in their invite. Wedding party/some family also got a 5X7

Misty

annarebeccal Posts : 70 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: Sep 16, 2009 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

my sister has big plans for my invites.... not even sure what exactly but she's excited... haha. she's buying this nifty die-cutter thing... it might be cricket... anyways you can design shapes on your computer and it'll cut them out on paper or vinyl or what ever! it's awesome! she's been wanting it for a while... i'm just glad she's spending the money on it before my wedding! haha we'll be using it for lots of decor... i have this really cute vision in my head of paper stars (made to look like they were cut out individually by hand) hanging over the candy buffet from twine. i'm kinda going for an old fashioned make believe fairy tale look but more like something a kid would have come up with. haha oi sorry for rambling...
Photobucket Photobucket

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 11:46 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

I don't have any DIY projects at the moment but I do plan on carving pumpkins!! I will practice on those this year.

Cat that is awesome that you invited the president! I should do the same! HAHAHA. I wish you the best on your wedding day. I see it's next week! HOW EXCITING :-D

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

paralegal05 Posts : 116 Registered: 3/19/09
Posted: Sep 18, 2009 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: nimnimsgirl

Nimnimsgirl, those invites are fantastic! You should do those professionally as a business! I would hire you in a minute! I wish I had your talent!

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 1:00 AM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

beautiful! especially love the veil

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

Angieh81 Posts : 16 Registered: 12/28/08
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 1:56 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

Here are just a few of our DIY projects

Some of our favors... wine stoppers:

Wedding invites (total cost about $60.00 for 100):

Garters - (made by my cousin):

some of the flowers:

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Edited by: Angieh81 on Sep 20, 2009 1:56 PM

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 5:24 PM Go to message in response to: Angieh81

Angie, I love your invites!

Angieh81 Posts : 16 Registered: 12/28/08
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

Thank you. :) The invites came from Target. I just printed them out myself and added the ribbon as a personal touch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

kc3307 Posts : 45 Registered: 3/5/07
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 11:18 PM Go to message in response to: Angieh81

Hey Ladies! I would LOVE to get some feedback on some of my recent projects! I am doing most of the wedding myself. Basically everything but the cake -- no way I would ever attempt that :)

So here is my card box. I bought it and it was plain pine. Then I stained it and added the flowers. I will also be placing lights on the inside that will shine through the slots.

Instead of pew bows, I am doing pew cones. The ribbon that is hanging will be used to tie around the church pews.

Then, this weekend, I did a test run for the bouquets. I didn't know if I was going to take on doing the bouquets, as they will all be real flowers, but it wasn't really too time consuming, so I think I will add them to my to-do list the day before the wedding!

another view

close up of the stems

Please let me know what you all think :)

nimnimsgirl Posts : 28 Registered: 9/19/08
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 12:49 AM Go to message in response to: paralegal05

Paralegal05: funny you should say that...I actually am trying to start a business making invitations like those professionally. I just hope more brides to be enjoy my work as much as you did :D But I'm just starting out, so we'll see how things go. I'm glad you liked em!

It's the little things that bring beauty to life...

http://scrapsoflife.dreamhosters.com

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine