A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 2,746

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Re: A Friendly Forum for Young Brides.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 1:32 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Autumn- Your venue is so gorgeous, congrats on getting it finalized. I'm glad you're not using the same photographer who shot your engagement, especially since you've had copyright issues. And HOORAY for having a job! How has it been so far? And why did the school district hire someone with no Latin experience to teach a Latin class over you? Crazy.

Frontier- Your dress is whimsical and unique, it will definitely stand out in guests minds, or would in mine at least. Sometimes every wedding dress looks the same in photos or from 20 feet away but the sleeves alone make yours different! I also like the twist detail in the rings, especially the two tone metal one.

FoundTrueLove- You're looking for a dress with straps? Me too. There are some specific designers out there who tend to make dresses with straps, though of course I can't think of any now... Anyone else remember one?

NK- Good for you to have a job, not all are doom and gloom. ;) Have fun!

Nessa- FINALLY! YAY!!!!! When's the house warming party? ;-D

Jeanie- How's the first few days of law school been going? Sucked your soul yet? I have a few friends who started this fall and they've all basically said, "Maybe we'll chat on Facebook sometime, but most likely we can talk and hang out again in Dec!" Best of luck to all of you, the first semester and year sounds intense. Also, your dress is beautiful!

Ryanne- That photo of the tub made me laugh. Perfect for someone who's been around six or more decades, not so much for newlyweds. All of your projects sound like they'll be major improvements, have fun and I'm happy you and Chris will finally get some privacy!

Minobot- Hi and welcome back! I saw your dress thread and I think your choice is lovely. Don't listen to people who tell you white is the only color you can wear. Before 1800, blue was most common because it represented good fortune for a bride on her wedding day, and diamond engagement rings came into style from a DeBeers company marketing scheme to increase profits. Be wary of traditions. ;)

Natasha- I commented on the thread you started but I'll say it again, congratulations and wow. Taking on law school and pregnancy/an infant is huge, I hope you'll have a lot of help from Nate, family and friends! You and Nate sound so happy together, congratulations!

MrsChambers- Congrats on finding a dress! I'm still working on it, grr. lol And your venue looks gorgeous!

My update... FH's airplane wasn't delayed anymore so he got in around 10pm and it was soooo good to be near him again, and totally strange. I didn't relax until we were in the car for the drive home, because that's when it started to sink in, "Okay, he's really here and we left the airport so this is really happening." We got to his house around midnight and were going to sleep (read: having passionate sex) when a friend texted asking why we weren't at the bonfire yet. Wait, what bonfire? Apparently our mutual friend had planned a shindig for everyone to see FH when he returned, but assumed I just knew so never explicitly told me, lol. We got dressed again and hung out with friends till dawn, so FH went almost three days without sleep. He ended up getting super sick and I picked it up a day later, so we spent the better part of his first week back (and my time at home) sick together. Romantic, right? lol.

We drove around to a whole bunch of parks and campgrounds in search of a venue but didn't pick anything yet. FH is a very laid back guy and we're both pretty indecisive, but he's got a few requirements of venues that narrowed down our list fast: 1) Privacy. Well there goes every city park but one. 2) No entrance fees. Goodbye every county and state park. 3) No curfew. Just in case I was fighting for any of the above parks, they're all eliminated now. We're down to the one city park he likes (despite restrictions), a campground that has yet to get back to me with info like prices, a nature preserve we both like mildly, and his parents house.

He's also pushing for us to cater it ourselves, which terrifies me a little bit. We've got lots of parents, siblings, and aunts to help out, but if we do this at his parents house, how the hell would we prepare the food? Even if it's made ahead of time, where would we find fridge, freezer, and oven space? Did I mention our relatives alone (the aunts/uncles/cousins/ kind, not the parents cousins/distant people I haven't met since I was a baby kind) add up to 150 people? I guess I've got to crunch some numbers and figure out the cost and effort of DIY vs. hiring a caterer, but first I need a more solid idea of how many people we're inviting, which is linked to our budget, etc. etc. etc. And classes have started now, so wedding planning has to (should!) take a back seat. Oh well.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 2:47 PM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Ryanne~ What a lovely tub! Lol......Sounds like you and Chris have your hands full with the house! How are your classes going??

Nat~ OMG!!!!!!! Congratulations!!! You defantly do live a fairy tail life!!! You are one brave woman willing to take on and engagement, buying an aoartment, a baby, and law school! Good luck!! How is your Grandpa doing? I know how scary open heart surgery can be, my dad had a five way bi-pass several years back.

MrsChambers~ Wow that site is amazing!!! Congrats on all the wedding planning! I htink the dress is defantly worth it!! You can cut back a lot of money if you DIY flowers, and even more if you use silk. I had my flowers done at Michael's and it was just a little over $100 total!

Rose~ How exciting to have FH back!! To bad you guys were sick, but I am sure that allowed for plenty of cuddle time. I would be very worried about doing the food myself, but I am a compleat worry wart. I hope you and FH find a site you like!

So for me, we are still not 100% sure we get the place. Our mortgage broker needs some Condo papers and proof of insurance from the seller, to make sure it is FHA approved. But the seller hasn't gotten him the papers, and if they don't get em soon, we may have to get them, and they're almosst $100. Which we REALLY don't have. Last weekend was pretty eventfull though. Our inspection was Saturday, and I asked my dad to come up for it, and so he could also look at the truck he gave us because it overheated a few times, then we noticed the radiator was empty, and we ended up putting like a gallon of water or antifreeze in the radiator every day. We couldn't see where it was leaking out to or anything. So he came up and rode his motorcycle. I sent DH to the inspection first because it was to early for me, and I rode the motorcycle with my dad up there. On the way there Dh sent me a text saying one of the highways was a parking lot and to be carefull. I told my dad, and sure enough a couple miles onto the highway traffic was stopped. My dad and I stopped and my dad looked in his rearview mirror, and noticed a car not stopping at all, he saw it hit another car not far from us so he gassed the motorcycle and got us out of there, for the most part anyways. The car that got hit ended up hitting us, but not bad, it just scrapped the hard sadle bags, and we ended up noticing the next dat that part of the front got hit to, and my ankle. But other than that everything was fine. The car that started it was compeatly totaled, and the car it hit probably is too. I have some pics of the damage here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=102182&id=511303947&l=ab0b0b25b6

Our house passed inspection with flying colors, there are a few very minor things that need to be fixed. And I passed my test I took a few weeks ago to be a certified X-ray tech!! And earlier this week I got a call from a temp agency wanting to know if i wanted to go do xrays at the Coors plant on site clinic. So every Friday this and next month I will be working!!

Kandyluv84 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: delete

Help! I am a young bride and I never envisioned my wedding like some girls did when they were younger. My fiance and I are getting married next summer indoors in the evening. We can't think of a theme or colors. We definitely are thinking about brown or bronze as an undertone and would like a pretty bright color since it's summer. If anyone has any great ideas please let me know!

My favorite two quotes from the movie The Wedding DAte (2005)

"The hardest thing is loving someone and then having the courage to let them love you back."

"I'd rather fight with you than make love with anyone else."

Kandyluv84 Posts : 3 Registered: 1/2/09
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 12:27 PM Go to message in response to: delete

Hello All! I am in desperate need of help. My wedding is on a summer evening next year. At this time my fiance and I haven't chosen any colors or a theme. We are thinking brown/bronze as an undertone and a pretty bright color since it's summer. Please if anyone has any suggestions please share! Thanks!

My favorite two quotes from the movie The Wedding DAte (2005)

"The hardest thing is loving someone and then having the courage to let them love you back."

"I'd rather fight with you than make love with anyone else."

NatashaAB Posts : 353 Registered: 10/6/08
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 1:32 AM Go to message in response to: delete

Sorry girls, I dont have much time to post but I will when I can.

My grandpa died yesterday. The funeral is tomorrow (Tuesday). It hasnt hit me yet but we are incredibly devastated. I cant believe he isnt here anymore. We watched him take his last few breaths and then pass away. I miss him incredibly and I am heartbroken.

I am exhausted because I barely got 3 hours of sleep last night and I will get only about 4 tonight. I havent ate any proper food since Saturday.

My dad is so sad and it breaks my heart to see him. Tomorrow will be gut wrenching.

Nat (21) Nate (31)

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Hey girls!

Rose: I bet you are so happy to have FH home!! Like I said before, I couldn't let Chris be gone for that long.

Nat: First of all, hugs for today. I'm so sorry for your loss, hun. But secondly, congratulations on the baby and your engagement! What a surprise and what a romantic proposal!

Kandy: Welcome and congratulations! I love your idea of bronze or brown undertones with a bright color. That is a really popular combination and is really great looking! A bright pink, blue, orange or yellow would look really nice (or even two of them together) with the brown, but I would stick with orange if you're going with bronze. And a nice, inexpensive summer flower to go with either of those would be gerbera daisies. You don't really have to have a theme--your colors or a simple print, like something off of your invitations or save the dates could be used to tie everything together just as well.

Nessa: That's great that you'll be working! And I hope everything goes through with the house!

MrsChambers: Your dress and venue are gorgeous! Will the wedding be inside? Or outside on the grounds?

Well girls...Chris started his new job today! We are so excited about it--the commute is much better and it seems like the opportunities he will have are much more likely and profitable. But the morning started out rough for him. First of all he didn't sleep well because it was hot in the house...he and his grandma continuously battle over the a/c because she turns it up at night and then he can't sleep because he's hot...so he turns it down and then she will get up and turn it back up. But then when he woke up, he either had something pinched in his back or tubing on Saturday really messed it up. So it wasn't a great start to his day at all! lol.

Other than that, my classes are going well! I'm enjoying them and am still trying to get adjusted to the new schedule!

And...Chris' grandma signs on her new place tomorrow! We should finally have privacy and "our own place" by next weekend! I can't wait...

As far as the updates, I've kind of changed my mind about doing all that. We don't really want to put money into a house that isn't ours and I really don't have time to do them--especially now that on top of work and school I'm in a show this semester. If I do anything it wil be repainting the bathroom and getting rid of the wallpaper in the kitchen. Maybe that will lead to more at some point, but I'm not going to rush into it.

I talked to my photog about the last pictures and the CD over a month ago and haven't gotten them yet. My MIL is going to talk to her at some point this week. We have scrapbooks to start and we can't because we don't have pictures or a CD to even get them from! So yeah. It's still not over. :-(

But yeah. Chris and I and his parents are kind of scratching our heads at the moment. BIL is so weird! He doesn't talk to anybody--not even Chris, and then he turns around with a bombshell on all of us this week. He hasn't ever had a serious GF. The girl he liked ended up with another friend and they dropped off the face of the planet until he got in that wreck in March. Then she and her DH showed up out of nowhere and started talking to BIL again. Well, now we're pretty much assuming that BIL and this girl are now together, because she is getting a divorce and BIL just moved them into an apartment yesterday. With her two kids. He's working 2 jobs to support this girl and her 2 kids (ages 3 yrs and 9mos)...and yet he won't give us a straight answer about whether or not they are together. She doesn't work...doesn't even have her license...I dunno. It's just weird. She and BIL are both only 21 too...we are just shocked that he's jumping into this...especially since the ex is causing the drama that he is. And if they end up staying together...that means my ILs are now grandparents...it's just all a lot and we don't know what to think! I mean...it's really great of him, but we're afraid that he will get taken advantage of! Anyways. Gotta go to school/. Talk to you girls later!

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Sep 17, 2009 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: ryanne

Hey ladies! It's been so quiet lately! What is everyone up to?

Chris and I have been settling into this new schedule with his job. We both actually really like the schedule even though we aren't morning people at all! lol. And we LOVE that he has weekends off and a set schedule. And he loves his job in general, which has made a huge difference in his moods! I guess I was just so used to it that I never realized how much his old job put him in a bad mood!

And we are finally pretty much all settled in and arranged. I cleaned out the fridge and freezer last night and threw 2 garbage bags of stuff away! Yikes! But it looks like a whole new fridge now. It was so dirty and disgusting, but you couldn't see it under all the stuff in there! So now it's neat and organized and CLEAN! The other thing I have to do with the kitchen is pull everything out of the cupboards (again, but it won't be nearly as much work this time) and put down new lining after I clean them really good. They haven't had that in YEARS and they're gross. And I also have to organize the pantry. Everything is just thrown in there right now and it's hard to find stuff! So those are my projects for the weekend.

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 10:39 AM Go to message in response to: ryanne

Hey girls!! It had been super slow in here!! Where has everyone been??

Ryann~ I am glad you and Chris are finally able to settle down and enjoy eachother. I can't wail till Bill can find a job he actually likes, I know how much he hates his job, and that does put a slight strain on us. Sounds like you have been busy having the house all to yourselves!!

As for me, we still arn't sure if we got the house. We are still waiting on FHA to approve the house before we can submit all our stuff to the underwriter for our loan. The sayd it would be 10 days to 3 weeks, and its been about 9 days or so. We are hoping to hear from them today, but I am not holding my breath. We went to talk to our apartment people yesterday, and they already have our apartment leased out :( so I don't know what we are going to do if we can't close on our house before the end of the month. In other news I have been working part time at the Coors plant in their onsite clinic. Its pretty nice, but they had me come in and had no one to show me whats going on, or how to do things, so I am stuck trying to figure things out myself, but its all right. Tonight Bill is going to Nebraska to help his best friend move back, it will only be the 3rd time in 3 years that we have been apart. I hate being home alone :( However last night one of my best friends who moved to Cali 3 years ago is goning to be visiting her dad this weekend and I am gonna go have lunch with her tomorrow, then one of my friends is gonna come over and we are going to have a pizza/movie/makeover night. Hopefully my time alone will go by fast.

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 12:19 PM Go to message in response to: delete

Hey girls!!

I miss you!

It is SO slow in here.

Nessa- I hope your house goes through and you get your loan.

I am so busy with school, life, work.

We are dealing day by day with my grandpa's death. I still cry sometimes and I know that is okay!

We are going to visit the cemetary today because it is EID!

I think I have come up with one girl name so far but not 100% as yet. Alessandra is our first girl name!

Hope all is well!

Nat (21) Nate (31)

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Sep 20, 2009 4:56 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Hey girls!!

I havent been on in sooo long!!! I have been so busy with work and now with school starting!!

My dad has surgery last Tuesday and was in intensive care because he has breathing problems and then my FMIL had surgery Wednesday so things were a little hectic for the last two weeks. Tomorrow is my birthday so FH and I went out with our friends this weekend and my family is all over today.

I also changed my work hours to 7:30-3 because I have flex time and it is such a better schedule, it sucks getting up early in the morning bc I am not an early bird but it is so much better getting out at 3 rather than 4.

The class that I am taking for my MBA started last Monday night and it was the same exact class that I took in undergrad with the same exact book so they are allowing me to waive out of it as long as another teacher allows me to enter into their class because the semester started 2 weeks ago, I hope so because I really would like to start school this semester and with the class being waived I am already a class ahead of schedule.

FH has been really busy also as he is now a certified varsity soccer ref and gets about 4 games a week on top of working full time. He is also on his high school's alumni board and he is excited about the upcoming events we get to participate in.

Other than that we are trying to wedding plan inbetween and we have gone to look at another wedding reception place but it is out of our price range, so we are going to sit down with our parents some time soon and go over the guest list to see how many people we can cut out so we can try and fit in the other reception place that we liked. We haven't had a chance yet because of everything that was going on. Hopefully next weekend we will get a chance to go over it.

Ryanne - I am glad that everything is coming along with Chris's new job and that he likes it and it works with your schedule. I have the weekends off and FH works on the weekends so sometimes it is tough because we can't do everything we want to do.

Nat - Congrats on being pregnant and on the engagement, That is really exciting. I am sorry about your grandfather, I remember what is was like when I lost my grandfather and it is so hard to get over sometimes. My prayers are with you and your family. Also I noticed on your ticker that it says that you are having twins, is that true??

Hope everyone is doing good!! I will try to come on more often because I miss you girls!

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: delete

Yes! Double the joy for us.

I thought I posted it here but apparently it was only the other thread!

I had spotting and cramping last weekend and went to the doctor and they confirmed that it is twins on the U/S!

It's crazy!

Dreaded conversation: Telling Chace I am pregnant.

My family all knows I am pregnant now! But, NO ONE except Nate knows that it is twins.

Nat (21) Nate (31)

Rose217 Posts : 474 Registered: 8/9/08
Posted: Sep 24, 2009 11:10 PM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Hi everyone,

Yeah it is slow in here, lol, wow.

Ariana- I hope your dad is healing well from the surgery.

Nat- I noticed your tickers are down, just a technical error, right? (everything's okay?)

Ryanne- Things sound good in your life and that makes me happy for you.

Everyone else- come back and update!

In the ongoing search for an outdoor location for the wedding, FH's parents said we could have it at their house... if it was small and there was no alcohol. If we changed the scope of the wedding it'd work, but we want our huge families there. And they're German and Irish.

I finally reached the youth camp on the lake but found out they're kinda pricey, and the only weekends still available next year were in May (before FH's final exams and graduation) or Oct. (we'll be in Asia by then).

The only viable venue left is the nature preserve, and we're actually moving along on that. In recent emails with their office associate, I've learned that contrary to the website, alcohol IS allowed (recently changed policy because they want to have weddings! Yay!) Other good things: the price is reasonable and they'd let us have the facilities for the entire weekend, which includes a field, a wooded clearing, a main lodge with tables and kitchen, five bunkhouses, and a shower/bathroom house. They're available every weekend in June, there is no fee to park cars or curfew and it's very private (FH's big priorities), and they don't have a lot of rules. Catering ourselves is okay, so is baking the cake, if we want we can set up a tent in the field, etc. No big red flags yet.

Their office-person-turning-wedding-coordinator wants to meet us, and I'd love to explore the premises with her, but I don't know when I'll be back in my hometown again. Oct? Thanksgiving? FH could meet her on his own, but I don't know if he'd want to. I haven't even had a chance to discuss the results of the latest email with him (of course I forwarded it, but I haven't had my cell charger all week and my phone is dead).

How did you girls all decide, "This is the venue"? Probably I just have to go there and see it myself, right? As excited as I'll be to have a place and date, it seems very final and a little scary. Is that normal?

GollumsGirl Posts : 57 Registered: 7/7/09
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 12:45 AM Go to message in response to: Rose217

Hey Ladies, I have been lurking lately because there hasn't been anything to say. I do have a little bit of news now though. Nathan is still trying to get a job to even out the income from his own business and to save up for a ring. We have a friend who is really high up in a large company, he is wanting to get Nathan into the IT department because Nathan knows more than most everyone already working in the dept. So I am hoping and praying that this comes through because we really need to get on the ball here, our hopeful date is July 10, 2010. I am also looking for a part time job, or more clients for my bookkeeping business, I am both advertising and responding to ad's on Craigslist, but nothing is coming of it. It's getting a little frustrating but I am trusting that God knows what He is doing and the right job will come at the right time.

The other news is that although my previous choice of venue is not available on that date, my friend that I was hoping to afford as a Planner now has his own venue and we went to an Open House there last week. We love it and the Planner guy offered me a discount. Sweet huh?? Now I just have to get engaged and figure out if my budget can afford all this. Here is the link to the site, it's gorgeous.

http://www.kenyonestate.com/
wedding tickers

wvabride Posts : 55 Registered: 12/16/07
Posted: Sep 25, 2009 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: NatashaAB

Nat- So sorry about your grandpa, but congrats on engagement and a baby! excuse me, 2 babies!!!!
You have an amazing life.

Posted: Sep 28, 2009 5:33 PM Go to message in response to: wvabride

Hey Girls!!

Nat~ Congrats on the babies!!!! And then engagement!!! I am sorry about the loss of your grandfather, that has to be hard!!

Rose~ That site sounds nice!! However I do belive you wil have to visit it to know it is the right site. I knew as soon as I walked into our site that it was the one, no other site compared. Hows dress shopping going?

Gollums~ I hope everything with the jobs works out for you!!!

So my news, still kind of sucks! We were supposed to close on our house on the 24th, but still haven't heard from FHA. We got our apraisal back this morning, and it appraised right where it needed to so thats good. But we are still waiting on FHA. We absolutly need to be out of our apartment by the 4th so I am hoping either later today or tomorrow we will hear from FHA so we can close ASAP and not be homeless for any period of time. Other than that I am still working one day a week at the Coors clinic, and looking for a real full time job, helping DH look for a job, and trying not to get sick.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine