How long after the RSVP date should I make the calls, or don't I?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
How long after the RSVP date should I make the calls, or don't I?
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 9:05 PM

I have heard that it is normal to call your guests if they have not returned their RSVPs by the reply date. How long after should I call these guests? I am having a plated dinner and must give the meal selections and guest number to the venue. I also have someone who is doing the calligraphy for the placecards, so last minute guests will be a hassle. I was frustrated today when I saw my FH's aunt and asked her about her RSVP and she said that she told FH's nephew to tell us she can't come. UGH! This nephew is 16 and NOT responsible enough to tell us anything. Why oh why is it so hard to drop a pre-stamped envelope in the mail? (just a vent)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Re: How long after the RSVP date should I make the calls, or don't I?
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 10:31 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I waited a couple of days (i.e. less than a week) to call guests.

Good luck!

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 3:12 AM Go to message in response to: PharmToxGirl

We started making calls the day after our deadline.

preview image

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 10:14 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I was wondering about this too. Our wedding date is October 24, and when we ordered invitations, I got caught up in the moment and decided October 2 sounded like a good rsvp date, without thinking to check with the caterer first. Well, I found out later (after they were printed, so it was too late) that our final caterer payment is due October 5, only 3 days after the rsvp date. I feel like a complete moron for not thinking to check on the date before I had the invitations printed, but such is life.

My dilemma is, I'm not sure when to call people. It obviously has to be before Oct. 5, but I hate to call people when it's possible that they mailed them on the deadline and they just hadn't gotten there yet.

Any advice?

38.jpg picture by JeWareGT

KimberlyDonn Posts : 26 Registered: 9/8/08
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 1:51 PM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I'm wondering about this too. My wedding is the 10th of October, and the RSVPs are due on the
1st. My payment to the caterer is due the 7th. I'm wondering if I should add some "extras" or if I should go with the number that have RSVPd. The responses were coming in by the droves when I first sent out the invites, now they are trickling, and there are still a significant number out there.

MonaLisaRoyaleB... Posts : 79 Registered: 5/1/09
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 8:57 AM Go to message in response to: KimberlyDonn

I still have a significant amount of RSVP's outstanding as well! My deadine was the 10th! I am going through my list and going to have my FH get in contact with his friends and family and then try to have my mother call our family. It seems so silly that people can't put the pre-addressed and stamped envelope in the mail!! When I contact people, I am trying to say that we have had some problems with the mail and wanted to make sure they received the invitation; because I hadnt gotten a response from them yet.. That way in case they havent sent it back yet, I don't make them feel uncomfortable..
wedding website

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Sep 15, 2009 9:33 PM Go to message in response to: MonaLisaRoyaleB...

I got a call from my cousin who told me that she is still unsure if she's coming because she needs to see if her mother in law will be in toen to watch her and my other cousin's children. It's 7 kids total and I really don't want a ton of kids running around the reception. It's an adults only reception with the exception of my kids (who are junior bridesmaids), my FH's nephew and nieces (who are 16, 10, 8 and well behaved), and my sisters' kids (her daughter is my flower girl).

That's accounting for only 4 of the guests. No one else has called to tell us why they are delaying notifying us. I even sent an invite to my mom's pushy friend who actually had the nerve to tell my mom "I really want to go to the wedding, please send me an invitation"...seriousloy, lady? Ugh. But it made my mom happy that I sent it, but she is not happy now bc her friend hasn't even RSVP'd! Why the hell to you practially beg for an invite then ignore it!

I decided to finalize my list next week even though that's after the cut-off. I figure a week is fair. If I can't get a hold of the people via telephone then I am assuming they are a NO and they won't have a dinner for them. I hate to be like that but it's a plated dinner and the country club has to have a final count. You guys know the drill. Hopefully these slackers get moving, hahaha (jk)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine