Wedding Programs?

Online Users: 1,229 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

mikesangel4lf Posts : 26 Registered: 4/11/09
Wedding Programs?
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 4:17 AM

Hello. I am doing some planning for my wedding and was wondering if anyone is planning to use or have used wedding programs. I can't decide if I want to use them. Any advice will be necessary. Thank you.
Lorelei

KatyDee Posts : 48 Registered: 7/2/09
Re: Wedding Programs?
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 4:44 AM Go to message in response to: mikesangel4lf

Hi there! I wasn't planning on having programs initially, because honestly I think that most people just throw them away or leave them in their chair at the wedding. I have only been to one wedding that had a program. They are a really nice touch, but when you're on a tight budget, there are other things that come first.

Having said that, I was in Michael's recently (my new favorite store) and they had these gorgeous DIY programs on clearance. I got 120 programs (regular price $120) for $15!!!! I was so excited. My advice would be to check your local Michaels Clearance aisles!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: mikesangel4lf

Well, first let me say, this is soooo not something to concern yourself with right now. Its waaay too early. Programs take not long at all to make yourself, and if you do them, you will most likely need to wait until about a month or so before the wedding so that you know for sure the names of each player involved. If you make them up too early, you might have changes and then youll have to do them all over again. I would say make them yourself , its very cheap, and dont spend a ton of time thinking about it. I say this as someone who made her own programs and they came out very nice.

Now, whether or not you have them at all depends upon your ceremony and personal preference. The purpose of programs are essentially to A. identify the people involved in the wedding (this is especially helpful if you have readers, or a lot of people in your wedding party, or you just think that some of your guests might not know who these people are, etc) B. to identify and explain any special events or circumstances during your wedding (such as a hand fasting, roseceremony, hyms or songs, readings, prayers, or any other customs that guests may not be familiar with) and C. to give the sequential order of events in your ceremony. What happens first, second, third, and so on. I am a detailed person and we also had a really different, unique, personal ceremony, so I decided to make up programs. If you are the same, do them. But if your ceremony is pretty standard without a lot of additions or things people wont comprehend without it written into a program, then go ahead and skip them, especially if you truly think people will just throw them away or not look at them. (and yes, some will do that, others wont. But if you provide them, most people do LOOK at them , and then after ceremony, sure, they throw them away lol. But thats why you shouldnt spend a lot of money or time on them. Make it a simple thing if youre going to do it.)

Check out the Wedding Planner Buzz and My Blog @ www.myaislerunner.com  

See our funny Wedding Wed-isode @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OokYNI91ztU&NR=1

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel for standup comedy clips,sketches,and more @ www.youtube.com/kelleyfunnylady

Co-Founder and Proud Member of P.O.O.P - People Offended by Offended People.

"Children are just like adults, minus the crushing failure." - Stephen Colbert

CatStandish Posts : 2,766 Registered: 6/20/08
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 9:58 AM Go to message in response to: mikesangel4lf

Programs are a nice touch...they are expendable, too. My FH and I are doing some odd things in our ceremony, so we wanted the programs to explain them to our guests who are not familiar with the bits (like handfasting and what a claddagh symbolizes). If we were having a basic wedding, I probably would have forgone them.

Kelley is also very right about printing them too early. We waited until the month before the wedding and we printed ours out. 18 days from wedding day (in other words, 4 days ago), the best man and groomswoman (FH's entire side of the wedding party) calls and lets us know that they can't make it.

Now, I am in no way angry at these two. They had requested time off. The best man even sold a prized collection (which we would have told him not to do) in order to be able to afford to come to the wedding. However, their companies pulled some seriously RUDE behavior. Right now, if you TAKE time off, you will be LAID off.

There is 18% unemployment in their area....that's practically 1 in 5 are unemployed. It would be really hard for them to find employment. They are also dating. SHE had pretty much decided this was where she was going to make her stand with her job....but when his did it too, that killed it. It's one thing for one person in a family to be laid off, but two?

So, like I said, we are so not upset with them. We're rather angry about the circumstances, and one of my favorite stores has just been placed on my personal boycott list--if that is how they treat their employees, then they do not need MY money.

I've also been extremely frustrated with these two because they would not give us their travel details -- and now I know why. They were holding off making them until the last minute because they did not trust the companies they work with to not pull nonsense such as this.

So anyway, we had to reORDER the programs, because they don't sell them around these parts. The first set we'd gotten at a discount from a bride on these forums who used the same ones and had extras. So, that savings is gone. And we are now just waiting on them to be delivered to us so we can remake them. I expect them to arrive on 9/21.... and we're getting married on 9/26. (Yeah, I know. I could have gone to Michael's for a different program, but these were PERFECT for our wedding....right down to the words on the front literally being the last words of our service, them matching exactly one of our three colors, and using one of the running symbols. I'd rather wait and have the right ones) It's not like we printed them three or four months out--we printed them at under 4 weeks. But we still got butt-bit by it.

With you being 2 years out... keep your eye out for sales, for coupons, for clearance. If you have a specific style you want, keep your eye on bravobride.com or craft stores going out of business (OMG... we got so much from our local ACMoore's clearance sales) You also have two years of post seasonal shopping to access. We're a fall wedding couple, so last year, when all the fall stuff went on sale at 75% off, we raked up.

Misty

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 1:40 PM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

doh! Sorry you have to reprint all those programs, and find people to stand up with you! Sucks! And please, let me know what company is now being boycotted by you--I may join you!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Posted: Sep 12, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

I also got a deal on my programs I am going to use (4 bucks for 50 at an outlet store) and all I have to do is switch out the ribbon with a color from my color scheme. I decided to use a program for the music during the ceremony and the bridal party since a) the music isn't going to be traditional in the least and b) a lot of the guests won't know the whole bridal party that well. My suggestion is if you find something super cheap to buy extra incase you have to redo all or some at some given point

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 10:02 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

The company is Cost Plus/World Market... .which really does suck because I shop at World Market ALL the time. (Mandalay Bay is also a culprit--but as there isn't one any where near me, I can't really stage an effective boycott, since I don't actually use them)

Misty

Posted: Sep 12, 2009 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

San is right. Get extras if you spot a bargain. You can always sell it later, on places like BravoBride.com...but you don't want to be where I am...2 weeks off, programs ordered but not expected until 5 days before, because circumstances beyond ANYONE's control necessitate a new batch of programs.

My church is getting a LOT of stuff from us. So they'll be happy. They'll be getting a lot of twinkle lights with white cord... and 100 track ceiling hangers (which we will be using for the lights)

Misty

carebearny1999 Posts : 1,253 Registered: 9/21/07
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: CatStandish

There isn't one near me, so I can't really join you in your boycott... Hope everything else goes smoothly for you! Enjoy your day!

Proud member POOP - People Offended by Offended People

MrsJDtobe Posts : 159 Registered: 2/15/09
Posted: Sep 13, 2009 9:42 PM Go to message in response to: carebearny1999

I made my own programs and 150 ended up costing about $20. I bought a pack of grey cardstock from Staples, plain very good quality crisp white printer paper (which I already had), a large stamp with a cross, silver embossing powder, and ribbon (50 yd white chiffon value ribbon at Michaels).

I printed eveything on my printer on highest quality (I have an HP photo printer) and then embossed crossed on the front of the programs. If you never saw embossing, it's my new favorite thing. You use an embossing pad which is is clear and glue like and stamp the program cover. Then you sprinkle the powder and shake off excess. Then use your heat gun to "melt" it into a nice embossed cross. I love how they turned out. Of course like the PP said, wait until a couple months before because ssurprises happen! Good luck! You're lucky you have 2 yrs to plan! :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On October 11, 2009, my cop will forever be cuffed to my heart ;-)

mikesangel4lf Posts : 26 Registered: 4/11/09
Posted: Sep 14, 2009 2:46 AM Go to message in response to: MrsJDtobe

I just started planning and have been tossing ideas around. It has been fun. I already have a huge notebook of ideas and pictures and things. I want to thank everyone for the tips it really does help.

[url=http://www.ezticker.com/]
imghttp://www.ezticker.com/ticker/107/1293/20111027/My+Wedding/ticker.png[/img]

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine