Toss up

Online Users: 1,282 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14

SunnySanrio Posts : 70 Registered: 8/6/09
Toss up
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 8:42 AM

So i'm debating on tanning bed or spray tan? Input please! Would like to know everyones experiences on both. I have only been in the bed and wonder if the spray tan is a better option. I am fair skinned and I defintely want to have a good color for my wedding since it's in July and I feel so ghostly lol!

MrsS2010 Posts : 336 Registered: 5/25/09
Re: Toss up
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 10:41 AM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

How about a mystic tan? Call around to see who does it and maybe try that? Ive had some great responses from clients about that. Only one unhappy person that I can think of...she felt like she turned more orange than tan...so defenitely try a couple times before the wedding!! But if tanning beds have worked for you in the past then theres no reason not to stick with it (as bad as it is for you!) and maybe just for an extra "glow" go to a spa 2-3 days before your wedding and have them do a bronzing treatment on you. I do these at my spa and I love the look it gives my clients. Its not something that will give you a huge tan but you defenitely see the difference and I personally love how it looks when combined with a natural form of tanning/bed. Think a "glowing" tan.

Posted: Sep 1, 2009 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

Sadly I have never treated myself to a spa day... maybe I'd due lol! I think I'll defintely try a mysitc tan if I can find a place around that does it! Thanks for the input!

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 9:31 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

I've done both. Spray tan is better for your skin in the long run. If you do spray tan make sure you find a qualified person. We do not have mystic tan around here so the woman actually sprays it on you. My girl was great- it was totally even, no spots and the hardest areas (hands, feet, knees elbows) all looked very natural. Spray tan does not last very long and when it starts to fade you will get a little spotty. My first thought is if this is something you are considering you should check it out and see how your skin reacts to it and if it is something for you... if you do do choose to spray tan then I would suggest doing it a couple days before the wedding. So time wise spray tans are great because its a one day shot where a tanning bed you will have to go a few times to get your desired shade (esp. if you are fair). If you do a tanning bed make sure you don't burn so you may have to go more times but only for a 8-10 minutes depending on how fair you are. Good luck!

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Sep 1, 2009 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

I've done the mystic tan once, and that was enough for me! I was very unhappy with the results. The first day I didn't look tan at all, days 2 and 3 I kind of had a nice glow, days 4 and 5 it faded and I was blotchy. It wasn't worth it for me to spend that money and have barely 2 days of a nice tan, and the remainding day blotchy and spotty. I personally would just go in a tanning bed and that's what I plan on doing before my wedding. I don't tan a lot, once a week at the most and not even do I do that that much, in the summer though I love to lay out in the sun and do so every chance I get. If you don't want to tan naturally or in a bed, I would find a good self-tanner to use, but start testing them out now to make sure you won't be blotchy on your wedding day. A few years ago I used Loreal and it looked really good, people were asking me if I just got back from vacation! After a couple weeks though it started fading (even though I applied it on a regular basis) on the inner side of my elbows and behind my knees, I was embarrased by it!

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 12:28 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Really?hmm...wonder why. Have you tried any of the spray tans? Im asking for the OP as well as for myself here cause Ive never tried those. I love self tanners too but theyrs such a pain in the butt to make sure its even! I like the Loreal Glow and had some good experience with the same one only "express"...except that one reeeeeeeally shows the spots you missed!!! I CRIED after the first time I tried it lol. Im thinking I should try a spray or a mousse self tanner..those are easier to work with..

Posted: Sep 2, 2009 5:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

I think I'll try going with the ole tanning bed method. Thing is, I'm so fair it takes a long time for me to get a good base tan (so I better start soon). After I have a decent color going I'll just keep it up until the wedding (without going the leather look lol) and maybe get a good bronzer or spray "glow." I think that should do the trick..... hopefully i dont turn out like an orange oompa loompa! lol

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 4:48 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

Nobody wants to be remembered as the orange oompa loompa bride so try it well before the wedding!! :) I feel your pain Im super pale too and it takes foreeeeever to even get that base color! :(

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Posted: Sep 10, 2009 2:27 AM Go to message in response to: MrsS2010

The mystic tan is the only spray tan that I've ever done, after that experience I've stayed away from all spray tans all together and honestly wouldn't do it ever again, that's just my experience though. I know some people love them, and I agree that they are a healthy way to get tan, but I just don't like the after effects, I'd rather be pale then orange. I've even seen on people who spray tan a lot, like if they sweat it'll be orange!

Posted: Sep 10, 2009 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Ewwwwwwww MrsDJLeo thats gross!! lol.. Ive never spray tanned in any way though I might try it once just for the experience!

JanetMichelle2010 Posts : 16 Registered: 6/7/09
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

I'm an avid tanner and have used beds, the traditional lay outside and wait to turn tan, and I have used spray-tan's too. Out of all my tanning experience I would say that each place (company, location, etc.) will give you a different experience. I like spray tanning but have found that each place is quite different. In fact, in Albuquerque (where I live), there are two different mystic-tan places, one does a horrible job and the other is great. Mystic is better for your skin but so I would suggest it. Just make sure you find a good business that gives you consistent results and follow the instructions.. wipe off the spray, don't shower for recommended number of hours, etc. : )

LilTuffGirl Posts : 301 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Sep 22, 2009 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: JanetMichelle2010

Are you going on a honeymoon? If so will it be somewhere with a lot of sun?

My DH and I both went to the tanning bed (I went more because I wanted a good tan) so we wouldn't burn while on our honeymoon. Thank goodness we did because we STILL got a bit red after the first day!!

http://www.ezticker.com/ticker/1642/214/20090829/our+wedding/ticker.png

True love never lives happily ever after - true love has no ending

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 9:08 PM Go to message in response to: LilTuffGirl

We've undecided about the honeymoon and whether we're gong to wait until next year but i never even thought of that! I def dont wanna look like a lobster lmao! I've decided on a tanning bed to build up a good base and just keep it liek that when I'm at the color i want.

FmF Posts : 106 Registered: 8/19/09
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 6:43 PM Go to message in response to: SunnySanrio

professional spray tan. you dont want cancer

Future Mrs. Fransen

"From every human being there rises a light that reaches straight to heaven. And when two souls that are destined to be together find each other, their streams of light flow together, and a single brighter light goes forth from their united being."
--Unknown

MissApril Posts : 276 Registered: 1/21/09
Posted: Sep 30, 2009 2:25 PM Go to message in response to: FmF

I'm with FmF. Cancer sucks. But I'm not about to get preachy. I'm not into tanning, as it hurts my skin so badly, but if you go with any kind of fake tan, try it early and put on a white tshirt (or whatever color your dress is, if not white). I've had spray tans that looked awesome until I put on a white bikini. All of a sudden my shame was obvious.
CoolStick your head out the window and smile for a satellite picture!Tongue out

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine