How long before you got engaged?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 40

cyndi33 Posts : 2,585 Registered: 1/3/07
Re: How long before you got engaged?
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: SillyGirl

Well, we met in high school in 1984, I dated his best friend and he dated my cousin. We broke up, they broke up, he tried to kiss me and asked me out, I said I wanted to just be friends, so to him the kiss of death but to me, I thought he was still hung up on my cousin. That was 1988.

Fast forward to 2006, I sent him a quick message when I was looking up people and thinking of going to my 20th HS reunion, we started emailing, chatting, talking, then I visited him (in lieu of the reunion) and then I moved here a few months later. Moving was because we knew we would get married.

He told me that he wanted me to know he would never have asked me to move if he was not sure that he wanted to marry me, and I already knew that and felt the same, wouldnt of moved if I didn't want to. But, he wanted the ring first.

Turns out, that didn't happen, he couldn't wait longer, asked on my birthday and we ended up using family rings that we absolutely love. Got married about 7 months after he asked. So, I guess if you count up the years, it was a couple of decades for us!

Proud Member of P.O.O.P.,  People Offended by Offended People

Hemlock Posts : 28 Registered: 7/20/09
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 1:12 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We were together a year and 7 months but we decided that we were going to get married about a month after we met lol. The long wait was for my parents and school. I'm still in school and my parents still don't approve so...we decided we'd just go for it.

JamieShell Posts : 10 Registered: 7/21/09
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 9:35 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We've been together a year and a half. Literally we just celebrated our one and a half year anniversary (I know kind of weird we celebrate half year anniversaries) exactly a week before he proposed.

We knew we wanted to get married to eachother before then though. We both confessed at around 10 months that we were eachother's "one" and at our one year anniversary he told me he was going to propose before the end of the year. I did think he would propose at the end of May right before we moved in together because I had told him how I had always imagined being engaged before moving in with someone but he didn't and now I'm glad because I think how he did propose was really special even if it was a couple of months later than I thought it would be. I couldn't ask for anything more.

If we stick to the March 2011 date that we're thinking now, we will have just celebrated three years together when we get married. I think that sounds good. A lot of people are already telling me that we're going to be engaged too long but I don't mind, I like an engagement period and that's what is normal in my family. My parents were engaged and living together for four years (though that really is a bit too long of an engagement for me) before they were married and my sister and brother-in-law were engaged almost 2 years when they got married.

{color:#0000ff}------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He asked me to become his Queen Butterfly on August 29th, 2009!

{color:#993399}Future Mrs. P!

Edited by: JamieShell on Sep 3, 2009 9:36 AM

cjb0290 Posts : 5 Registered: 3/22/09
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

My fiance and I started talking about marriage about 3 or 4 months into the relationship but did not actually get engaged until 6 months. We were already living together and knew that marriage was what we both wanted! Some people thought it was early but people that were close to us knew it was going to happen soon....I think we got engaged so early because we just knew! I knew I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life and he expressed the same feelings for me when he brought up marriage!

When is my wedding
Wedding Ticker from WhenIsMyWedding.com

Edited by: cjb0290 on Sep 3, 2009 3:03 PM

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: cjb0290

I met him when I was 24, we started dating when I was 25 and a scant 6 years later, we got engaged. I was never sure that he was "the one", I'd never wanted to get married, but then I realized I didn't want to be without him either. So I figured I'd marry him :-)

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

JessicaLong Posts : 29 Registered: 8/31/09
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We were dating 2 years and a month when he proposed. We've been living together a little over a year, which is when we first began to discuss it. I think the timing has been really good for both of us, but each couple is different. :)

Congrats on your upcoming engagement!

RebeccaFazzio Posts : 323 Registered: 10/28/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: JessicaLong

FoundTrueLove: Are you engaged yet? I saw this was started in April so just wondering if it had happend for you yet!

FH and I met at our local bowling alley where we were both working at the time. He had just moved to my town for college and didn't know anyone but the people we worked with. I had just broken up with my boyfriend of 1 1/2 years so I wasn't looking for a relationship (doesn't it seem that the times you aren't looking for anything something happens?) He asked me, "When you going to leave that man of yours and go out with me?" It was so cheesy and perfect and it totally didn't work because I said no 6 more times after that. Finally a mutual friend was like "Give him a chance. If you don't like him you don't have to go on any more dates." Our first date was awkward but there was instant chemistry. I was a senior in high school and he was a freshman in college. 3 months later we moved in together and then almost three years later he proposed! We will be getting married October 10, 2010!

To love another person is to see the face of God.

My wedding blog

http://thenolabride.blogspot.com/

juliepoupee Posts : 1 Registered: 9/6/09
Posted: Sep 6, 2009 4:03 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We dated four years before we got engaged. We talked about getting engaged, and I was expecting something very casual, but he totally surprised me =) He booked a long weekend stay to the Shangri-La. The day he proposed was probably one of the most happy day of my life, even day I was kinda expecting being proposed lol >_<
Julie P.

RosalieLovesJames Posts : 1 Registered: 9/27/09
Posted: Sep 28, 2009 11:12 PM Go to message in response to: juliepoupee

15 Months .. but we were on and off dating since 2006, and have been steady since June 7, 2008. We decided about 6 months in when we went to Dominican Republic together we were going to get married. I ripped a picture of a Tacori ring from a magazine and he kept it and he got it 9 months later :) We arent planning to get married until May 2012 though, I'm still in college.

ElizabethSturgess Posts : 5 Registered: 11/15/09
Posted: Nov 16, 2009 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

My fiancee and I met about 5 and a half months before our engagement. Half of the time we were togehter we were on opposite sides of the world but it actually made us closer. He popped the question 2 weeks ago, and we are still deciding on a date. The whole thing happened extremly quick, but from the moment we met we just knew it was meant to be.

Tabii Posts : 2 Registered: 11/18/09
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 9:48 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

we were together for five months before he asked me to marry him. i knew he was the one about two weeks after meeting him. I have a two year old daughter who he loves and treats as his own and she loves him like a dad. we are planning a may 2011 wedding and im already excited about all the planning and everything. our daughter is going to be the flower girl

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine