Picked my colors!!!!!!!!!! :)

Online Users: 1,254 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 11

EmyEmz Posts : 21 Registered: 7/9/09
Picked my colors!!!!!!!!!! :)
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 10:42 AM

I picked my colors this weekend with FH! He has a great eye for this type of stuff, lol! We decided to go with a chocolate brown satin with a burnt orange sheer over lay, and a burnt orange satin with a chocolate brown sheer overlay for the linens for the reception tables. I think it is going to be beautiful! I am going to start ordering the fabric pre-cut so I just have to sew them together! I am really excited! and we found these great rod iron pumpkin lanterns that you put pillar candles in for the centerpeices ( there chocolate brown too w/ orange beading around the stem). I am going to make foliage wreaths to sit them in! I am so excited! this wedding is going to be totally us! And to top it off, FH is a mechanic, and he has a 1970 challenger that he restored and it is in hemi orange! we are going to use he's car instead of a limo from the church to the reception. Any one else doing a DIY wedding? Can you share pointers? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

"We may not have it all together....But together we have it all!"

Edited by: EmyEmz on Aug 24, 2009 11:16 AM

Cassandra85 Posts : 31 Registered: 3/11/08
Re: Picked my colors!!!!!!!!!! :)
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

I am DIY a ton of our wedding decor and odd enough our wedding colors are brown, burnt orange and gold but not a harsh gold, more of a satin gold. My girl's dresses are Alfred Angelo in the harvest gold color. I am so excited how everything is finally coming together and we are 4 weeks away.

Here are some items I am DIY:
Invitations (this turned out great and our guest had some positive feedback too:)
Programs
24 Table centerpieces (3 different kinds)-Used brances, crystals, flowers, mosaic candle holder(this is where we got out inspiration for the color scheme)
Card box which is actually a trunk
Candy Buffet
Wedding Favors (doing caramel apples)
Cake table decor
I also bought a ton of fabric and make our own table runners, 10ft panels to hang around the room, tablecloth for candy buffet, cake table and gift table and also the drapping for in front of the headtable.
Girls jewerly
Veil/Garter

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 12:12 PM Go to message in response to: Cassandra85

May I ask how you did your invites? I found really nice ones from paperduevets, but they are way too expensive! My FMIL is paying for them (if I don't do them myself. She is helping me with everything...i.e. sewing creating...) But I can not find the DIY Kits with the right colors. I would like mocha pocket invites with burnt orange paper for the invites and response cards etc, with a mocha print. Any suggestions? It would really help. LOL it is funny we have the same colors. I would love to see pics when or if you post them on here. Also there is a website for DIYers like us where they interview you on how yiou pulled it off and everything, I think it is www.DIY-Weddings.com. (not sure if that is exactly it but give it a try, you should do a posting on it).

Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

We did them completely from scratch. My mother and I are very crafty so we decided to tackle this. I do remember seeing some brownish invites at Michaels (a craft store) but they were not what I was looking for. You might find something you like at a craft store and then just alter parts of it a bit or add to it. I would suggest going and looking at card stock for color samples. I know I never found the orange I was looking for, so I incorporated the burnt orange using gems. I will say that making them was not the easiest but worth it to me.

I will be sure to take a picture of the final invite and try to post it soon:)

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 11:01 AM Go to message in response to: Cassandra85

I saw the same ones at michael's and they are not what I was looking for either. I was thinking about buying some heavy paper and creating a design that i would want to use and doing it that way. B/c I think it is ridiculous for how much they want for invites. Plus I am having a small wedding. So I refuse to spend that much money on invitations. Maybe I will try to make a pocket invite and see how they come out....Not sure yet. I can't wait to see your pic! thanks for the insight!

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

A nearby scrapbook store had a free class to take on invitation making. That class gave us a lot of ideas and inspiration. You would probably even be able to figure out how to make a pocket folder. From what I can remember, it's not that hard, the only thing is that I think you use a lot more paper.

I got pictures of my invites but I have no idea how to upload them. I can send them to you if you'd like.

LoverForever Posts : 20 Registered: 8/24/08
Posted: Aug 27, 2009 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

i made my invitaions, though i am having a rainbow wedding.

i bought pre-folded card stock in ivory, with matching envelopes. my FH and i went to michaels and picked out a few really nice garden-themed rubber stamps and assorted ink (blue,green, brown, pink and silver). i printed the wedding info with a scripty-font on the computer and stamped them all! it was alot of work, but well worth it since it beat cost in the end, plus they are so personalized. i can't wait to send them out!
Live, Love and Laugh

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 12:18 PM Go to message in response to: Cassandra85

I would love to see them. Do you want my email?

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

Sure,

I have never posted a picture yet and read the instructions but it still didn't work for me.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: Cassandra85

I sent you my email via private msg on this site.

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: EmyEmz

Okay, I just emailed them to you.

So what we did was take card stock, and cut it to size. We put a smaller piece of the darker brown on the back for a pocket to put the rsvp cards, map and hotel information in. We then punched our own holes for the threading of the ribbon and then adhered the nude color paper to the brown one. We bought a set of alpha stamps for the K and then put these crystals on the K to bring in the burnt orange. I drew the map for guest and printed them as well on the back of the hotel information. The hotel gave us these handouts in bright pink and I didn't want to include that color in my invite. The RSVP card was printed as well and then we stamped them. We just used ivory envelopes and stamped them as well. We had a lot of compliments on them. I have no idea what the cost of invitations even are to have someone else do them. That just was not an option for us. I'm guessing that we probably paid 1/3 of the cost and the thing that cost the most was the postage. Oh and we also included a wallet of our engagement picture.

Posted: Aug 28, 2009 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: Cassandra85

They look even better than professional! They are absolutely beautiful! You definately have to send me pics of all the other stuff you did! You have a great talent! I can't wait to start working on mine now!!!! lol !

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine