Candid photography in lieu of set-up?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7

sunkissdluster Posts : 8 Registered: 2/5/07
Candid photography in lieu of set-up?
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 2:22 AM

I REALLY don't want to have Tanner (my fiance) and I see eachother before the wedding. Not a superstitious thing... I just want that magical "Oh my God" moment. So taking photos of us beforehand is out of the question. Still, I don't want our guests waiting around in between the ceremony and reception while we take photos. Is it practical to just have our photographer take candid photos of us at the reception? Do you think this would work and still provide us with good shots? We could still probably take 30 mins in between the ceremony and reception, but I don't want the bulk of the photos to be taken while our poor guests sit around.

FinallyMrsS Posts : 1,035 Registered: 3/29/08
Re: Candid photography in lieu of set-up?
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:01 AM Go to message in response to: sunkissdluster

Are you guys having a cocktail hour? If so then your guests will be happily eating and drinking while you take pictures. If you haven't thought about that yet, maybe that is something to consider.

Are you doing a typical guestbook? Or having a photo book or even a scrap book? Both of those can be time consuming and can be done while you guys take pictures.

Here are 2 suggestions also:

My neighbor took her formal pictures with her husband AFTER the honeymoon! So they did their pre pics with his and her side and then after the ceremony they took their formal pics with the bridal party. Then enjoyed the reception, went on their honeymoon and then once they got back they got all dressed up again and took their pro pics with just the 2 of them. They turned out AMAZING!

My friends took all of their pictures before the wedding. They didn't want to because they too wanted the surprise moment and what not, but the photographer really pushed for it. So they went ahead and did it. The photographer set it up so that he could get both of their reactions when they saw eachother. Their pictures turned out amazing and you could definitely tell that he was surprised when he saw her.

FH and I really don't want to take a zillion pictures after the ceremony either, but I think later on you may regret not having both the formal pictures and the candid shots.

Good luck!
wedding website

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:14 PM Go to message in response to: FinallyMrsS

Well, the very best idea (in terms of the timing of photos) is to have a 'first sighting" before the ceremony. Your "oh my God" moment will happen--it just happens a little earlier.If that's out of the question, then take as many group pics (minus bride and groom together) as you can before the ceremony, then take 15 minutes (that's all a good photog. needs) to take some posed shots afterward. Make the rest candids. Look for a photographer who is highly experienced in the photojournalisticstyle of photography. That's what a lot of brides nowadays prefer anyway. If you do have a cocktail hour going, that gives you plenty of time for pictures.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: sunkissdluster

So you want an "Oh my God, Moment!" If you wait until the walk down the aisle, I can assure you, your thoughts will be anything but magical. They will be, I hope I don't trip. How do I look? What is he thinking? Meanwhile, your FH, will be craning his neck to see you through all of the people standing and looking at you. Perhaps your photographer will be in the aisle blocking his view. From there the ceremony will start. You will not have a chance to talk. What is he thinking? Does he like the dress? Etc... After the wedding, you will be running around, constantly interupted. Perhaps the first time you have a chance to talk privately is when the two of you enter your honeymoon suite.

If you really want a special moment, then you SHOULD see each other before the ceremony! When I'm allowed to photograph my clients before the ceremony, I set up a private meeting between the bride and groom. My assistant makes sure that nobody interrupts this private time. I usually put the bride in a nicely lit area and have the groom come to meet her. I back off about 20 feet and take the photos of the two of them. They will hug, kiss, look at each other and then talk. It is an absolutely, romantic and emotional time for the couple. If your ONLY reason for not seeing each other before the ceremony is for the "Moment", then I strongly urge you to reconsider your decision. Should your photographer not know how to create your special time, please have them contact me and I'll explain it to them so you can have a wonderful magical moment!

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

sunkissdluster Posts : 8 Registered: 2/5/07
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 9:12 PM Go to message in response to: sunkissdluster

Thank you, everyone! I had heard of these little meetings with the couple before the ceremony but it didn't seem like it was for me. Now that I've heard your opinions, it makes the most sense! Especially because we won't be having a cocktail hour since the wedding is taking place at my parents' house so there is limited space and the sad fact that there won't be many actual cocktails since a lot of our family is mormon (ha ha).

Now that I have thought about it, I would like to talk and share an intimate moment with my DF! Instead of sharing it with all of our guests...

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: sunkissdluster

Hooray! I love it when new brides take all of the advice into account and decide to try something new to them.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: sunkissdluster

Dear Sun,

"there won't be many actual cocktails "

You can have non-alcohol cocktails. I never drink alcohol (but not Mormon), so I usually get some kind of fruity drink mix when I go out.

I had a "Lava Flow" in Hawaii that was really great!

Note to Howard: Great to see your photo! I hope that's you, not just some great-looking model.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Aug 26, 2009 8:46 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Note to Howard: Great to see your photo! I hope that's you, not just some great-looking model.

You know it is so hard to get a good photo of me, that I just have to hire a stunt double. I'm glad you like the photo. It is actually one of me, taken by a videographer friend using my camera.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine