Addressing the Envelope - HELP!

Online Users: 1,248 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 3

Sugarpot36 Posts : 4 Registered: 5/23/09
Addressing the Envelope - HELP!
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 9:28 AM

HELP! The last envelope that needs to be addressed for my invitations & of course I don't know how. My FH's co-worker didn't take her husband's name when they were married. How do I address the envelope? I thought of "The Smith-Jones Family" but am not sure. Any ideas?

MsMeghann Posts : 147 Registered: 3/4/08
Re: Addressing the Envelope - HELP!
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: Sugarpot36

Hi Sugar,

First, don't panic. Who exactly is the inviation for? That is the biggest question to answer as that will dictate how it's addressed.

From what I hear you saying, the coworker and his/her spouse who has a different last name is invited. But you mention "family" -- is the coworker's whole family invited, too? or just the coworker and spouse?

~~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~~~
Soon to be Mrs. Scherrer
www.MattandMeghann.com

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 22, 2009 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Sugarpot36

I'm not the total etiquette expert when it comes to addressing invitations formally, but if the invitation is just to the couple, I believe it would be acceptable to address the envelope "Mrs. Barbara Jones and Mr. Bob Smith."

OK, I just took a detour to the Crane stationery website, and they have a section on this very thing. I confirmed that the above is correct, but here is the URL if you have further questions--they have an FAQs section, too:

http://www.crane.com/etiquette.aspx?C=WeddingEtiquette&S=Addressing_Envelopes&I=Married_Couples

preview image

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Aug 23, 2009 9:51 PM Go to message in response to: Sugarpot36

Dear Sugarpot,

I am also a maiden-name keeper.

Here's what you do:

Mr Homer Simpson and
Ms Marge Bouvier
and Family
742 Evergreen Terrace
Springfield