Buffets and seatting charts

Online Users: 1,315 guest(s), 3 user(s). Replies: 8

BrideofFrankens... Posts : 31 Registered: 1/14/09
Buffets and seatting charts
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 2:56 PM

Hi folks! Silly quick question for ya!

If you have a buffet at your reception, should guest be assinged seats and/or table numbers?

I've only been to two weddings in my life! (one i was the flower girl and the other one recently where there was a buffet and no table assignments... my date and i were left sitting alone at a table for 8! haha)

Aurora1974 Posts : 43 Registered: 3/3/08
Re: Buffets and seatting charts
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

I don't know what you're "supposed" to do when you have a buffet, but we are having a buffet AND a seating chart. Mainly for the reason you gave. I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable at my wedding so seating people together who either know each other or would get along really well seems to be the best way for us to proceed.

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

You can go with or without a seating chart for a buffet. I am an event planner and I have seen it done both ways.The pros and cons: a seating chart is quite a bit of work but a well thought out one can work really well for the guests. The cons of not having a seating chart is that it is possible to have 7 people sitting at an 8 person table then a couple comes along and they both can't fit. Its a bit like arriving at the movies late. Whether you have a chart or not it is possible that people will move things around on their own so they can sit with people they want to so be prepared for that. My tip on doing a chart is to do the bigger groups first and then work your way down to couples then singles. Its just easier that way

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

We had a buffet and we assigned guests to tables. Personally, when I attend a wedding that's what I prefer, so that's what I did.

That way I had our family members together and our friends together. It worked out great.

jkbride Posts : 19 Registered: 2/11/09
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 7:37 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

I think it is better if you assign seats for all your guests. It is easier this way and can avoid any "drama" during the reception. I have been to a buffet style wedding, and have seen some tables only have 5-6 people and some tables have 9-10 people. Because people want to sit with someone they know, so that they can chat during the whole reception. They actually moving the chair around and it is too difficult for your wedding coordinator or your receptionist to manage.

It is a pain to prepare the seating chart for all your guests. But it will work out great if you spend sometime and create one b4 wedding. You may group all your guests in a different groups first and then finish it group by group.
For example:
Family members
Relatives
Family's friends
Groom's friends
Brides's friends
Groom and Bride mutual friends
Groom's co-workers
Brides's co-workers

Hope this help :)

jkbride

www.myweddingconcept.com

June6 Posts : 33 Registered: 11/4/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:25 PM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

We had a buffet dinner at our wedding and for we assigned people to tables, but not to specific seats. It worked well for us, so I would recommend that.

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: June6

I'm a big fan of table assignments. We had a buffet and assigned tables at our wedding, but not seats, so people could arrange themselves at their assigned table however they wanted. People who are not fans of assigned seats/tables argue that wedding guests are adults and therefore don't need to be told where to sit. But as somebody who loathes and dreads the idea of just walking up to random people I don't know and starting a conversation, I myself prefer to be assigned a table because 1) I don't want to feel like I just intruded on somebody's table and 2) I figure there may be a good reason why I was assigned to the same table as other people, like maybe the bride & groom thought we would get along well and have something in common. And under those circumstances I don't mind starting a conversation with a stranger.

I was happy with how our assignments turned out. I placed a single friend who I KNEW would get along famously with all my college friends at the same table with them, and she told me after the wedding that she loved them (and I didn't set her up for that and tell her "I'm seating you with my college friends b/c I think you'll love them!"). We also put DH's former tennis coach and current tennis coach, neither of whom knew anybody there, at the same table. I'm sure they got along, too. Just some examples.

preview image

BBGF Posts : 66 Registered: 5/5/09
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 2:34 AM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

I am a huge fan of assigned tables for guest. I have worked with both assigning seating with clients and just the assigned tables. Either or is okay, but at least when you do some kind of organizing of tables and guest it cuts down on the commotion of the party and everything usually looks better and you don't get just those two people sitting at a table by their little lonely selves.

Let us showcase your unique style.

Stephorse Posts : 138 Registered: 1/31/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 9:52 AM Go to message in response to: BrideofFrankens...

For my wedding we had a buffet, but we made sure we had a seating chart. That way we knew everyone would have a seat, and would be able to sit next to who they wanted and we knew everyone would get along. We just went to my husbands cousin's wedding where they also had a buffet, but no seating chart. There were people who didn't get to sit with people they wanted and even some families got split up beacuase there was no seating chart. There were also people fighting to sit up front near the head table and I don't even think the parents of the groom got to sit up near the head table. My sugguestion would be to go ahead and do a seating chart. Then you don't have to worry about not having enough seats and making sure everyone has a seat especially your parents and your FH's parents are sitting up front where they belong!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine