Maggie Sottero Brides...size question

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 16

FutureMrsDJLeo Posts : 615 Registered: 2/26/09
Maggie Sottero Brides...size question
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:22 PM

I'm ordering my dress this week, and am debating between the sizes. My measurements are 32.5/24.5/34. That puts me at a size 2 for my bust and waist, and a 0 for my hips. Also I'm a C-cup, if that makes any difference. The lady at the bridal salon told me some Maggie brides said that the dresses they ordered that they also fit the measurements exactly were very snug in the rib cage. I also know it's easier to take a dress in then let it out, but I don't want to spend a fortune on alterations. They could just be saying this so I get the size 4, then have to spend more money. Also, who knows what I'll weigh next June. When I get stressed out, I usually lose weight, so chances are if I'm stressed and busy, I'll lose weight, but I don't want to rely on that. What if I gain weight? I definitly am not going to get the 0, it's pretty much between a 4 and a 2. Street sizes I'm usually 0 or 2. I'm just wondering what other Maggie brides have thought with how the dresses run, are they true to the measurements or do they run a little bigger, or a little smaller? Another reason why I wish wedding dresses didn't have to be ordered so far in advance!!!

Here's a link to the size chart http://www.enchantedeveningshop.com/bridal_gowns/pdfs/MaggieSotteroSizeChart.pdf

And here's my dress
http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?keywordText=eleanor&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=12&style=J1237HC

jbear Posts : 73 Registered: 9/18/06
Re: Maggie Sottero Brides...size question
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 12:41 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Hmm. I love that dress, by the way! :)

I have a Maggie Sottero, but I don't think it's easy to compare the two, because mine is a two piece, and a corset back. The skirt is half an inch smaller than it was advertised to be when closed at the smallest hook (which of course, is where it looks the best, since the bigger hooks make it look a little off), but it has three different hooks. And it's impossible to tell with the top, since it's a corset back and soooooo adjustable.

I know this isn't very helpful! But if I were you, I would go with the two, based on the style of the dress. It is very fitted, but since the back is so low, it looks like it would be most fitted through the waist and hips, which would give you a little more flexibility with the top. That is just my non-seamstress opinion though...

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 1:01 PM Go to message in response to: jbear

Thank you very much! Trust me, any advice is very helpful! Even if you have a different style of dress, it's still good to know just how they run, like clothing stores, some names run bigger and others run smaller. I'll keep it in mind that part of yours ran a big smaller. Thanks again!

ToyToy09 Posts : 224 Registered: 6/3/09
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 1:02 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I ordered a Maggie as well. I had to order my dress two sizes too big as well due to the difference in my hips and my waist. I tried on my actual size (14) and the gowns were snug. The consultant stated that the dresses tend to run a size or two smaller than street size. It sounds like the same is true for you. More than likely, you will have to alter it in, but not as much as you probably think, considering that they run small. My gown is to come in by October. I'll be sure to keep you posted, if at all possible ;)

Created by Wedding Favors

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: ToyToy09

Thank you! Would you recommend me getting the 4 then just to be safe?

Which Maggie dress did you get?

ToyToy09 Posts : 224 Registered: 6/3/09
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I believe its okay if you go up 2 sizes but never more than that. That gives your freedom to alter the dress to fit you perfectly without getting your dress redesigned due to massive alterations (not to mention the price of that mess). You should be fine going up to sizes :)

The dress I purchased is the Felicia (shown below). I can't wait until it arrives! I'm like a little kid on Christmas :D

Created by Wedding Favors

MissAyla Posts : 27 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I had this problem when I placed my order for my maggie gown. My measurements for my bust and waist were a 10, but my hips were a 12. So I ordered the 12, and hoping since it's a corset back...I can just pull the top in and not have to alter it. I go on Friday to try it on!!

wedding website

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:34 PM Go to message in response to: MissAyla

Oooh when do you go on Friday? That's when I'm ordering mine!

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 7:48 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

I wear anywhere from a street size 0-4 (almost always a 2 though), and I ordered my Maggie in a 2. It fits perfectly, and the only alteration it needs is to get the bustle put in. Of course, I'm only a B cup, so that might make a difference.

I keep flip-flopping on which size I think you should order, so I'm basically no help. lol

38.jpg picture by JeWareGT

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: MrsCP3

Trust me, you are a help! I keep changing my mind also, but from you guys are posting, it definitly helps me make a decision on what size to order.

Autumnalis2010 Posts : 133 Registered: 1/12/09
Posted: Aug 20, 2009 12:58 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 12:31 AM Go to message in response to: Autumnalis2010

Thanks for the advice everyone! I went in today and decided to go with the 2. I got re-measured just incase, and I still fit in the size 2 measurements, so I figure if it is a bit tight, it can be taken out. Now I just can't gain any weight between now and June...which I guess gives me my reason to start working out since I haven't worked out sinced like March.

I'm so happy I finally ordered my dress!!! I can't wait for it to come in!

MrsCP3 Posts : 456 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Aug 21, 2009 8:59 AM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Yay, congrats! You definitely need to post pictures when it comes in :)

38.jpg picture by JeWareGT

VermontFutureMrs Posts : 34 Registered: 1/6/09
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

Im a small girl, i wear Junior sizes and forever will i think. What size would i be in a maggie dress a 0?

wedding websites

triciam Posts : 128 Registered: 2/19/09
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 6:17 PM Go to message in response to: FutureMrsDJLeo

What I was told is that typically your wedding dress size is 2 sizes larger than your pant size.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine