How long before you got engaged?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 40

FoundTrueLove Posts : 54 Registered: 8/18/09
How long before you got engaged?
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 5:41 PM

Hello to all! This is my first thread so hopefully it goes well. I'm about to be engaged (boyfriend has the ring but wont tell me when/where the big event will happen...hehe i love surprises). ok, anyways, out of curiousity i was wondering how long from when you started dating, did your signficant other propose? I've had a friend who got engaged 3 months after meeting her hubby and another who waited 2 years before getting the ring so i've seen both the short and long, as it were. And, since i've stumbled across this community, i wanted to hear from you guys, especially the newly engaged. Also, if you'd like to, i would also be interested to know why you got engaged quickly or waited a bit longer.

I'm just one of those terribly curious people so i appreciate all of you who respond =) oh and apologies if there's already a thread asking this question. i didn't see one, but i may have overlooked it.

Woobiebride Posts : 4 Registered: 8/18/09
Re: How long before you got engaged?
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We were dating for almost 6 years before we got engaged. 7/17/09 was the official date, but we are saying it happened 7/25/09 (if you must know, you can ask me, it's a little complicated). We waited so long because I was a Freshman in college when we met and life kept changing. We wanted to wait until we were stable enough to start our lives together. Plus, we were long distance for five of the six years and he didn't want us to be engaged living so far away from each other.

"I carry your heart, I carry it in my heart."

-EE Cummings

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: Woobiebride

that makes a lot of sense. congrats on making the long distance thing work =)

MrsNB2B Posts : 13 Registered: 8/18/09
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Me and my man dated for almost 2 years before we got engaged. We started talking about getting married about 6 months into our relationship. We both new that we were going to get married someday. I honestly didn't even expect him to propose as soon as he did. I figured it would be at least another year. It came as a total surprise when he proposed on the 4th of july.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: MrsNB2B

awww, surprise proposal =) i guess i'm kind of where you were. we've been talking about marriage since about our 8 month mark, but he's not telling me when he's going to pop the question (gonna be sometime in the next 4 months though)

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We were together for two years when he proposed. We actually went to the jewelers on valentines day just to look at rings because we were trying to compromise on a ring because we both had two different taste in rings. So we get there and he has me try on this one particular one so i did and of course my eyes lit up and i was in awww. Needless to say, two weeks after he proposed without any intentions of doing it that day and gave me THAT ring i tried on. He just was making sure it was the right size ;)

So exciting to hear new stories!~

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

Revenwyn Posts : 48 Registered: 4/26/07
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:37 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

We were together for THREE WEEKS before he proposed.

I accepted. He knew he was going to marry me from day 1,and I had the same feeling about him. I am the only girl he had ever been with. We were from opposite sides of the country and met at college. When we met we knew we were perfect complements to each other. We have enough things in common to do many things together, but our outlooks in life are different. He's a visionary and has many dreams he'd like to do with his life, and I'm a realist and I try to keep him on the ground. I don't pop all his dreams but I do tell him that some need to wait... he can't do EVERYTHING at once!

We were planning on marrying in 2005, but he got extremely ill and nearly died. However, I can say that he has made a complete recovery.

We've been together nearly five years now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hoping and praying our day will come soon.

Edited by: Revenwyn on Aug 18, 2009 6:38 PM

KaylaMarriedBrett Posts : 146 Registered: 3/12/08
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 9:49 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

That's an amazing story!
Good luck to the both of you! Glad he had a good recovery.

When is my wedding

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

http://brettandkayla.ourweddingday.com

AdriansWife2012 Posts : 22 Registered: 5/6/09
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:23 PM Go to message in response to: KaylaMarriedBrett

We were together 9 months before we got engaged! But honestly if he asked me 4 months in I would have said yes, I knew he was the one from the start!

Mer21 Posts : 32 Registered: 11/10/08
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:32 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We dated for 5 months before we got engaged. That was April of 2006 and we are getting married June 26, 2010, so we will have had a 4 year engagement by that point. We've had to wait so long because we wanted to finish school (undergrad, at least - he just started a PhD program in Organic Chem that will take 4-6 more years). Some people thought that it was rushed, especially since we were so young (18 at the time), but when you know you know! My parents got engaged/married (they eloped) after only 6 months.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 10:39 PM Go to message in response to: Revenwyn

i'm so happy to hear that he made a full recovery! congrats on finally getting to set the big day.

i'm excited by all of these responses! i kind of knew from about the first month we were dating that he was the one, but i was so nervous i felt that way that i didn't bring it up until he did a few months later hehe. luckily he felt the same way. our last hurdle before we really made the unofficial committment was living together when we went abroad in scotland (last fall). no major problems so that gave us the green light.

keep 'em coming. i love looking at everyone's story =)

Tofu Posts : 66 Registered: 4/2/09
Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Congrats on the upcoming engagement!
The waiting is very exciting. We just got engaged a few weeks ago and it's a fun time!

We dated for 7+ years (starting as teens).. If our careers took different paths it may have been sooner or later...

By the way, Mer I love your ring!

Cool

2dBride Posts : 158 Registered: 3/16/09
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 3:07 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

We had been together over seven years when we got engaged, and it will be over eight by the time we get married. Then again, since we are a same-sex couple and don't live in MA, July 31 of last year was the first day we could legally get married. I proposed to her three days after that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Our wedding planning page and items for sale after 10/9/2009

HTT Posts : 8 Registered: 8/13/09
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 6:33 AM Go to message in response to: 2dBride

We had been together for 1 year, and had been living together for 5 months. I can honestly say though we both knew right away we were going to get married eventually. Its funny how before it happened to me, hearing of people being engaged after such a short time made me think they were crazy.... now I think I understand. The hardest part was knowing that there are probably lots of people who are thinking that about our engagement!

CheetahAngel Posts : 2,017 Registered: 11/29/08
Posted: Aug 19, 2009 9:56 AM Go to message in response to: FoundTrueLove

Welcome foundtruelove, I must say that I LOVE your profile picture :)

To answer your question my fh popped the question after 5 years and 7 months of being together. It seems like a long time doesn't it? Well it was lol. Everyone kept asking us when will be get engaged and such. We took things slow for many reasons. For example I was still in college and had no money and only worked part time. My fh didn't even have a job! Well he did have one but couldn't keep a good one. So he decided to go back to school. FINALLY after 4 years and 1/2 of being together we both graduated and were in the working world and so we decided to move in together. A year later we got engaged! :)

Visit my wedding website http://www.mywedding.com/alanandjarlyn

Sign my guestbook!!! :)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine