2 months salary for e-ring, but how much for the wedding band?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 9

Kimmmy Posts : 4 Registered: 6/26/09
2 months salary for e-ring, but how much for the wedding band?
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:18 PM

I know he's supposed to spend 2 months salary on my engagement ring but is there a rule about how much we are supposed to spend on wedding bands? Like it needs to be a certain percent of how much he spent on the engagement ring?

Zotsa Posts : 12 Registered: 6/2/09
Re: 2 months salary for e-ring, but how much for the wedding band?
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

There's no hard and fast rule about how much a wedding band is supposed to be compared to the engagement ring. I know the engagement ring I got was a whole lot more expensive than the wedding bands. We were looking for something affordable.

We ended up spending less than $300 total on both rings.   We decided to get tungsten rings from http://www.larsonjewelers.com/ because they were more affordable. 

Future Mrs. Emma Miller-Bae

Bride2008 Posts : 3,058 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

"I know he's supposed to spend 2 months salary on my engagement ring"

No, he doesn't. This is a guideline made up by jewelers to persuade people into spending more money. Some people will spend more than 2 months salary, some people will spend less. What matters is that the ring is a symbol of his love for you. If he can only afford to spend 2 weeks salary, its still just as special as if he spent 2 months.

Now to answer your question. I wouldn't worry too much about percentages and how much things cost. Pick out something that's your taste and that you can afford.

P.O.O.P.E.R. - People Offended by Offended People Executive Recruiter

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:31 PM Go to message in response to: Bride2008

Wow two months salary huh, I think I must have been cheated. I will have to have a long talk with my husband I want the rest of my money!! Your wedding bands should be a reflection of the two of you. There is no rule for pricing. Our bands cost $35 for mine and $60 for his.

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:38 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

Dear Kimmy,

The only "rule" is that you get rings that you both like and can afford.

The 2 months salary is just jewelry company propaganda.

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 12:42 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

Wow, my husband has got some explaining to do too! :)

Our rings cost about $300 total. Granted that was 25+ years ago but still no where near 2 months salary. We picked them out together. I was and still am very happy with my decision. For me it's about the marriage not the cost of our rings.

ChelsRae85 Posts : 371 Registered: 5/16/09
Posted: Jul 13, 2009 6:55 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

Uh, yeah, that's bogus. Our engagement ring and bands cost a total of about two WEEKS salary. Not two months. That's ridiculous.
My Planning Blog

TishaLynn Posts : 11 Registered: 6/28/09
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

Its not about the cost of the ring. Its about what the ring repersents and what you can afford and what you like. My FH likes his ring to have diamonds...I am not a big fan of mens bands with diamonds....However in my mind it is on his hand and he has to like it so for me it is about what he likes not how much is going to cost (as long as it is something that is affordable to us). So the thing to remember is its not about the cost in comparision to this or that. Its about what they mean to you and how you feel about it....Remember its a ring that you are going to wear for the rest of you life.

Hope that helps.

minobotbride Posts : 37 Registered: 5/21/09
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 10:43 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

huh, welll... FH and i looked at e-rings together, and realized that "having" to spend a huge amount on the ring was silly. so we didn't. and we won't on the wedding bands, either.
we're also spending as little as possible on the wedding and reception, because you know what?
we're young. we don't have much money. so why should we spend money that we don't have on things we ultimately don't care about?
i love my e-ring, it's beautiful. and i'll love my wedding ring too, because of what they stand for

Someday No Goodbyes - Minobot Forever, December 23 2009

MarissaRowland Posts : 33 Registered: 10/2/09
Posted: Oct 21, 2009 5:49 PM Go to message in response to: Kimmmy

Yeah, I agree that you should just spend what you are comfortable with. My E-ring was more than his wedding band though. Just like Zotsa, we also went with tungsten for his ring. He loves his it! We got it from www.tungstenworld.com, ask for Brett he helped us and was amazing! We got exactly what we wanted!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine