white gold vs platinum

Online Users: 1,232 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17

aurora1220 Posts : 8 Registered: 7/6/09
white gold vs platinum
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 6:32 PM

Hey guys-

So I feel like everyone seems to have an opinion whether or not my ring should be white gold or platinum and I can't decide which one to go with. What did you all decide on and why? Any big pros/cons to either metal??

Thanks!

NikZilla Posts : 59 Registered: 9/21/08
Re: white gold vs platinum
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 7:53 PM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

I went the 18k white gold 3 stone ring 2 1/2 carats . Plat is way more. What is your guys price range? I was able to select my own wedding band and engagement ring. My guy is the best. Tgat's why I'm marrying him.
Smile

NikZilla Posts : 59 Registered: 9/21/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 7:54 PM Go to message in response to: NikZilla

Meat to say that's why I marrying him.
Smile

AJLM Posts : 49 Registered: 11/18/08
Posted: Aug 14, 2009 8:59 PM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

We had talked about both options but he talked to a jeweler and picked white gold. I don't know all of the reasons why he picked white gold, but I know white gold is easier to restore (re plate) or something around those lines. I would suggest talking to a good jeweler about what are your better options.

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

This is what I know about the two. White gold is nothing more then yellow gold coated with Rhodium. Eventually, the white will fade to yellow and you will have to get it replated with rhodium. White gold is also less expensive then Platinum.
Platinum is a white metal, heavier then gold, and stronger. A lot of diamond settings are done with Platinum, as it wont warp and is more secure.
IMO, if you can afford it, go with Platinum. Your ring will last longer and you won't need to keep going to the jewleers for Rhodium plating. :)

OrangeBride2011 Posts : 4 Registered: 8/10/09
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 1:08 AM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

I am also debating the white gold and platinum issue. Here's a few things I learned so far:

Platinum wears down and becomes dull over time. It will need shining and cleaning professionally. When it is scratched the platinum is displaced and can clump, making it more visible. Platinum is heavier than gold. Platinum is malleable, meaning prongs may bend under pressure.

White gold is coated in Rhodium and needs to be re-dipped to maintain a shiny appearance. How often this is needed depends on how hard you are on your ring and your body chemistry wearing the rhodium plating away. Scratches are less noticeable. White gold is less heavy. White gold is not likely to bend, under pressure prong tips may break.

I have picked out a style with six small prong-set diamonds on either side of the main stone. However, I haven't been able to figure out if the diamonds are "safer" in white gold or platinum. Does anyone know if settings in platinum loose stones more often than those in white gold or vice versa?

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 1:34 AM Go to message in response to: OrangeBride2011

White gold is NOT yellow gold plated with
white metal. White gold is yellow gold that has had metal added to it
(alloyed) to bleach the yellow color.

The rate at which that beautiful white shiny finish lasts is
determined by the particular alloy (mix of metals added to yellow gold)
and the wearer's chemical makeup. You do use Rhodium to restore the white color vs the yellow color.

We could not afford platinum, so he chose white gold as I do not like yellow gold. I am not worried about it (but if you have a nickel allergy, yellow gold or platinum is a better choice).

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 11:13 AM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

I have white gold so does DH. I always heard that when platinum scratches it's harder to fix. Plus, I am more of a white gold person as opposed to a platinum one. For me, I'd rather have a higher quality diamond than spend the budget on the metal.

DH's ring did start turning yellow-ish after a little while. But you only noticed it if you held it next to mine. However he wears is 24/7 except when showering, so I'm sure that doesn't help. But we took our rings to our jeweler for a cleaning and it was back to new.

For me, it was about cost. I have friends with platinum rings, and the only reason why I know they are platinum is because they told me. No visible differenc to me.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

MsDenuninani Posts : 3,962 Registered: 3/16/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

For me, I'd rather have a higher quality diamond than spend the budget on the metal.

That was my hubs thinking as well when he bought my ring. My wedding ring is actually platinum, due to a mistake on the jeweler's part with our order, so I have a platinum wedding ring and a white gold engagement ring. I'm looking at it right now, and I can honestly say I don't see a difference (the engagement ring is 2.5 years old, the wedding ring almost 2 years old).

However, if you have any kind of metal allergy, or if they even run in your family, you may want to do a platinum ring. About a year and a half after wearing my engagement ring, I discovered I have a gold allergy. Now, I have to have my ring dipped in platinum every year or so. It's not a big deal -- my jeweler does it for free -- but we may one day decide to have the ring re-done in platinum. (But, honestly, that's pretty low on our financial priorities list.)

"I'd hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S. Thompson

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 2:12 PM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

Some people say that platinum wears better, and that gold rings will get scratched, dull, nicked, etc, etc, over time...but I recently attended a 60th wedding anniversary party and the couple's gold rings looked great. That'll work for me.

My BIL is a jeweler and when I asked him that question he had the same response. His ring is white gold. Why? He said that it gold wears well and is a better value for your money. I asked whether platinum is a scam to make more money for jewelers, and he said, 'I wouldn't say that, but it's not as necessary as some jewelers make you feel like it is. Gold wears well enough for wedding bands and most other jewelry.'

My rings are white gold. I've had the e-ring for 2.5 years and my wedding band for almost a year and a half. I noticed a slight difference in the color when my wedding band was band-spankin' new, but after a few weeks, the color looked identical. People who have platinum rings say stuff like, 'Oh, it must be so annoying to have to keep going to get a white gold ring replated.' Erm, no. In any case, not any more annoying than going to get your ring cleaned and the settings checked. But I've never had mine replated. They don't need it.

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

NJ4Life Posts : 3,358 Registered: 8/10/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Yes my platinum friend's ring may be "shinier" then mine where you can see the band, however her diamond is teeny tiny compared to mine (not that mine is astronomical--1ct) and they paid about the same. Actually I think they paid more b/c they went to the mall. So right there that shows you her teeny tiny diamond is probably lower quality than mine. But its what she wanted and it is a really pretty ring.

I think lots of women these days are schooled to think they "want" platinum. Hell, look through any bridal magzine and you wont see very many ads for white gold rings. But I think when crunching numbers I'd rather have a bigger sparkler, than a shiny band thats covered in diamonds anyway so you can't even see the band.

And its free to get the ring cleaned at most jewlers and of course you get it re-coated when you get this done. But if it's "scratched" on the palm side of your hand, who is seeing it anyway? A man's wedding ring might be a different story if its flat all the way around, but really. I dont think wedding rings should look brandy new forever.

New Jersey: We have dumps, bays and cement boots and we know how to use 'em

kennysoldwife Posts : 3,859 Registered: 4/28/07
Posted: Aug 17, 2009 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: NJ4Life

I prefer white gold it just seems to look better against my skin. Platinum is nice too. I have both they look about the same right now because they need to be cleaned. The stone in my gold ring is larger than the one in the other ring due to costs. The rings themselves cost about the same

Kenny and me perfect together, 10 years and counting

Sucks to be you, So glad I am me

Proud Member of P.O.O.P,  People Offended by Offended People

wedding websites

cruelshoes Posts : 2 Registered: 8/24/09
Posted: Aug 24, 2009 3:17 PM Go to message in response to: aurora1220

I wouldn't say that white gold wears better than platinum. For one
thing, the plating on a white gold ring will start to wear away over time,
and you'll end up with a yellowish tinted ring that will need to be
re-plated. Also, white gold wears away faster than
platinum. Though platinum may not be harder than 18k white gold (ie as scratch resistant), it is much stronger,
so it will hold the diamond more securely and won't wear as much over
time. You may scratch a platinum ring easier than a low karat white
gold ring, but you won't actually lose metal from those scratches. With
platinum, the metal just gets dispalced and can be restored through
polishing, whereas with white gold it's lost forever. In that sense,
platinum wears much better than white gold because you will lose far
less metal over time with a platinum ring than you would with a white
gold ring. Hope some of that helps!

nines Posts : 2 Registered: 9/1/09
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: cruelshoes

my way i advice to go for platinum ring with diamond stone its looking nice and other way it harder and shining metal so i decide i really go for a platinum ring
DIY Wedding Invitations

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:26 PM Go to message in response to: nines

I can't even understand your response.

And to the poster before that - white gold is NOT plated yellow gold. Google it. Have fun.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine